“Excellent B&B”

Stoney Lonesome Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crown Point
Stoney Lonesome Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 2 Crown Point B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed at this B&B for 7 days to go hiking in the nearby Putnam pond area. I found the hospitality of the owners to be excellent, and they provided me with advice about the area and local restaurants. The breakfasts were outstanding and plentiful, and they let me use their microwave for a couple of dinners. I felt very welcome here. The Stella room I stayed in was fine, with enough room for my gear and a spacious bathroom with modern shower. A major advantage of this B&B is the rural location, which is nearby the Putnam Pond / Pharaoh Lake area, with its many hiking trails and ponds. Recommended for anyone interested in exploring the Adirondacks.

Room Tip: I was given a choice of room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
CPNancy, Owner at Stoney Lonesome Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Thank you so much for posting, and hope to see you again -with more sunshine next time!

There are newer reviews for Stoney Lonesome Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 13 June 2014

This B&B is minimally acceptable, but it seems likely more of a hobby than a business. As an experienced business and leisure traveler, there were some things that were a bit odd to me. The most important thing for readers to know is that this B&B does not take credit cards. Only cash or checks. Plan accordingly. Breakfast is nice, with good food, but as others have commented, the the host family selects the time and that is when everyone will eat - family style. Prior to the beginning of the meal, there is a group prayer. It felt like staying as a member of a Christian family - not a paying B&B guest. The room that we stayed in (Stella) was named after and dedicated to a deceased friend of the family. This was odd, but it was exacerbated by the presence of a photograph of her along with the program from her funeral. Both of these items were displayed on the dresser top. We found this a bit strange and minimized our time in the room. And, the room was quite small. It had a full sized bed, which was a bit tight for a midwestern married couple (not super skinny). There was not much space for our things in the room due to the size of the room and the amount of family-related items in the space. There was no air conditioning, which would have been OK - except that there were no screens on the window in our room. So, after 10 minutes of fresh air, we had to close the window due to bugs. The room heated up quickly when we took a shower (it was that small), but the lack of screens prevented us from keeping it temperate. This, along with the thought of Stella, interfered with falling asleep. One item that bothered me is that there were no keys of any kind - no key to the house, and no key to our individual room. The hostess' comment when I asked about this was "We've never had a problem, but if you have something valuable, take it with you." Again, a bit strange to my way of thinking. Finally, there were two dogs on the property. I missed this in the reviews and the advertisement. I am allergic to many animals, and two dogs in a home would have been a non-starter had I known in advance. I am accustomed to animal-free B&Bs. The host family was nice, and provided some hiking maps. It is cool that this is an off-the-grid, solar-powered home. I just wish that so many of the other "little" things weren't quite as off-putting.

Room Tip: Avoid the Stella room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gail B
CPNancy, Owner at Stoney Lonesome Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

We are so sorry to hear your stay was unsatisfying, especially with our business goal being completely pampered, satisfied customers. I think some of the issues you raised were honest miscommunications and I'll try to address them here for you and potential future customers.
First, and as you stated most important is credit cards. We actually do accept and use credit cards. We, however, prefer checks and/or cash. You booked ahead and were able to send a check in advance of your stay, which was appreciated. On checking out I am sure I mentioned my preference again and am sorry for the misunderstanding. As far as meal times go, we try to confer with all our guests and arrive at a workable time for everyone. When it is just one set of guests we can accommodate their preferred time. With groups, 8am seems to work the best. When we realized you were leaving very early your last day, we spontaneously shifted gears accommodating you both by feeding you early, so you would not leave without some breakfast. I am again truly sorry you were not satisfied with the bed or room size, as we had talked ahead and I thought all was well. If you had spoke up, I could have offered you another. I need to stress more that we are here to serve and please our guests and no one needs to hesitate about asking for anything! We try and be quite approachable. The window situation could have been very easily resolved. It is normally a room we have an air conditioner in but the temps of May had not yet warranted putting one in yet. None of us were opening windows ourselves or we surely would have thought to put your screen in. Each room has the ability to lock from the inside, so all guests can sleep soundly, and we do have keys that lock up. We usually do mention that we have two resident dogs, and must have inadvertently overlooked that with you. We have allergies ourselves and that is why our large dog is never inside and only an outside doggie. And our non allergenic toy poodle, when inside is always kenneled, never rooming about nor on any furniture. All of our rooms are named after children, excepting Stella, a dear sweet friend who lived with us as family for over 15 yrs. She is gone from us and yes there is a small 1 1/2in by 2 1/2in picture of her on the dresser. As for the program from her memorial service, it must have fallen out of her old bible on the dresser? We do on occasion pray before breakfast, often on Sundays, and particularly when you visited as it was our 34th wedding anniversary. Again, let me stress we wish to leave you with a better impression. Please do consider giving us another opportunity.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed with Nancy in October for two nights. Nancy was the perfect hostess. The house was just perfect and we were made to feel very much at home. Tucker the dag came for a walk with us- very well behaved. Breakfasts were super. Would recommend this B and B to anyone wanting to experience the Adirondacks. Great introduction to American B and Bs for first visit from Scotland

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
CPNancy, Owner at Stoney Lonesome Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We so enjoyed having our second set of "Scotland" guests!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I had to attend a memorial service in Crown Point for a dear friend and went online to find accomodations in the Crown Point area. A few hotel, motels and B&B''s turned up. I went down the line and decided on this one. Aside from the fact that it was very much out in the country, it
was worth it in the end. Our hosts Nancy & John were very friendly and welcoming. Their son was also there to lend a hand during breakfast. The food was to die for...everything appeared to be from scratch and from their yard and garden. Such a treat!!! I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for something in the Crown Point/Ticonderoga area. Even though I was not there to sightsee, it is close enough to the main roads that will take you where you want to go.

Room Tip: All the rooms were lovely. Any of them will work.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

We were glad to be there for you in your time of loss, and are also so pleased you felt well served. How very kind and thoughtful of you to then take the time to post for others. Thank you!

Reviewed 7 July 2012

My boyfriend, son and I had the pleasure of staying at Stoney Lonesome back in June. Nancy was a lovely hostess, as well as her husband and son. Cheebee and Tucker, the family dogs, were very friendly and kept my son entertained with their playfulness. We had our own bathroom, which is a nice accommodation when staying at a B&B. We were also very close to many swimming areas, state parks, and of course the lakes (Champlain and George) and Fort Ticonderoga. Next time we are in the area, I expect us to come back here.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Amy S
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It is really appreciated and helpful to the travel community.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

My sister from Montreal and I have been connecting for visits in this area for many years and have friends in the area but this was our first experience in a B + B, we really enjoyed it- very comfortable accommodations and lovely hosts. I felt like I was staying with a family member! The breakfasts were wonderful and the property grounds just beautiful. We were able to sight see and enjoy other meals at local restaurants from this great place, far out enough in the country but not too far to get out and about. We were able to spend some real quality time together and share memories about our Dad, and Nancy and John were always gracious but never obtrusive in making sure our needs were met and that we felt welcome. The dogs were great too! They seemed to be the first step in the welcoming committee and were nice and well mannered- I will be back in the future and would suggest this to anyone looking for a nice place to stay as well-

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank FLBeachMountainGirl
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thank you so much for your review!

Reviewed 30 May 2012

We enjoyed a two day stay with family members and were within easy driving distance to still attend graduation exercises in Middlebury VT. Friendly dogs greeted us on arrival and outr hosts put on an excellent breakfast. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Neletele

Thank you ( belatedly) so much for taking the time to post a review!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crown Point
#2 of 6 in Ticonderoga
The Sagamore Resort
The Sagamore Resort
#2 of 8 in Bolton Landing

Been to Stoney Lonesome Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!