“Ancient and Modern”

34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Ancient and Modern”
Reviewed 31 August 2012

If you are near Crown Point, NY, and/or traveling to the Champlain Bridge to get to Vermont, it is well worth a stop to see the remains of the British and French forts at this spot, and look at the Champlain Bridge which is just over a year old. The juxtaposition of ancient and modern, right by this beautiful lake makes this a truly unique place. And if you want to stay there is a great campground nearby. The entrance is situated right by the Visitor Center near the bridge.

Visited August 2012

Warwick, Rhode Island
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We drove over the new Crown Point Bridge expecting to make a quick stop before heading to Fort Ticongeroga. What a pleasant surprise to find such an informative welcoming site. My husband is a history buff and I am the tag along limited attention span travel companion. I was totally engaged in the experience. The visitor center has a wonderful movie and exhibits that explain the history. We then proceeded outside to explore the ruins of the French and English Forts. I enjoyed walking along the top of the walls of the English fort while my husband toured the inside of the building. The preservation is amazing, I could almost feel the presence of the past as I looked around. Make sure to stop and see the Lighthouse a walk to the top is worth the view.

Visited June 2012
NYC
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Other visitors are right; impressive site hidden in plain sight”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This review was based on a trip in late July 2012.
Pros: Fabulous ruin over looking lake; very good video (and I dislike museum videos); great for kids; don't miss lighthouse with Rodin relief; easy to get to with new bridge
Cons: None

Visited July 2012
South Jersey
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 133 helpful votes
“Hidden awesomeness”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I had camped at D.A.R. State Park in Vermont, driving past this park many times while crossing the bridge during a visit in 2008. I never went. In August 2011, I went back to D.A.R. for another week of camping. This time, I made sure that I visited (dragging my wife and friends).

Wow, I missed out in 2008. We went through the museum first, a small affair with a decent movie and some nice artifacts. We then visited Fort St. Frederick directly behind the parking lot, the small French fort that had first sat at the site. It looked like a bunch of historic stones on the ground (if you like that sort of thing, which I do) with a nice view of Lake Chaplain and the yet-completed new Lake Champlain Bridge.

The we walked inside the earthen walls of the British fort. We had the place to ourselves, and it was like discovering some hidden European castle. The one set of barracks is still standing, and you can wander up to them (and in some of them). It was a great spot for pictures, and my friends and wife had a blast checking out the remains of the fort while I snapped about 150 pictures of the place.

If you've been to nearby Fort Ticonderoga, this is like it's abandoned, decaying cousin, only with less than a fraction of the people and a much smaller entrance fee. While Fort Ticonderoga has more battles associated with it, this fort too was captured by the Green Mountain Boys (only 4 British soldiers defended it) and it's cannon (dug out of the walls that had buried them after an explosion destroyed a large part of the fort before the War for Independence) also helped free Boston from it's British occupiers.

Visited August 2011
Auburn, CA
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“American History Gem”
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We took the temporary free ferry from Chimney Point Vermont to Crown Point New York thinking we would visit Fort Ticonderoga. Soon after getting off the Ferry we saw the signs for Crown Point State Historic Park and decided to see what it was all about. Imagine our delight when we found a significant story which adds to our understanding of American history. There are two forts here. One is from a period when the French controlled Lake Champlain and another from the period of British control. There were Fort St Frederic which was the French Fort and "His Majesty's Fort at Crown Point" which was the British Fort. Remains of both are on-site. The visitor's center is split between the British and French perspective with a different docent for each. The remains of each for are nearby. This is an important place in American history. The munitions captured there by Ethan Allen at the start of the American revolution were instrumental in the colonists struggle for independence. Great place to stop and get a important piece of Americana. See http://nysparks.state.ny.us/historic-sites/34/details.aspx for pictures and the story.

Visited August 2011