“Horrible”

The Villas On Lake George
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
“Horrible”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I gave this one star because I can't give zero.
I wanted to rent a wave runner with my kids, and saw online that they were rented here. I called ahead to ask if they had 3 person wave runners and was told they did. I specifically mentioned that I would be taking my 2 kids out, so I needed for all 3 of us to go on one. I was assured this was OK. So, after driving 2.5 hours to get there, I was surprised to have the same woman tell me "Oh, they have 3 seats, but you can only have 2 people on them." I told her I had called and asked about this specifically, and she said "That was me. They are 3-person wave runners. We only let 2 people go on them." Further, on the phone, she had made a point to tell me that they had a room where we could change. I asked about that, and she directed me to a tiny, filthy bathroom off the lobby. there was no way we were going to change clothes in there.
The place, which calls itself a "resort" is no resort. It's a shabby, dirty, old motel.
Disgusted and frustrated, we went down the road to Chics Marina, a professional and clean marina that also rents wave runners--that 3 people can ride at once.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Paula W
Lenny C, Guest Relations Manager at The Villas On Lake George, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Waverunners/jetskis as well as boats are issued a capacity rating by the U.S. Coastguard relevant to safety. We at the Thunderbird Marina have a higher safety standard because we are on the lake everyday with a great variety of scenarios. If the riders are large people, if they are non-swimmers, if the water is particularly rough, if the requested third passenger is a very small child, all of these factors are considered as to whether we allow 3 passengers to ride on the same PWC or if the safe capacity has been exceeded on a boat.
It requires little effort to take someones money for a service but the consequences of irresponsibility can be great. We care about our guests and are proud of the fact that we have NEVER had to account for an injury/accident because of our business practices. I wonder if other marinas can make that claim.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Lehigh valley, Pa
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The pictures on the website are very nice, unfortunately the new hardwood floors and paint are where it ends. My idea of a villa is not a motel which is what this is. Upon entering the room it had a musty smell. There was no curtain on the window in the very tiny bathroom so I hung an extra towel from the rod. There was no remote for the T.V. The Wi-fi was terrible as it was constantly losing a connection and very slow. There were no knobs on the kitchen drawers making it very difficult to get them open. In a nutshell our room had the new fake hardwood floors and some new paint but it was still old and run down. Like others have said the staff was nice and brought new towels when we needed them. We would certainly not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Jwbjwbjwb

Travellers are raving about these Diamond Point hotels

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Very nice clean place a little dated however the owner are improving each unit . Staff is outstanding especially a young man name Brett! Went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed and more! Centrally located to everything so you can go have your adventures and then come back and relax and hang out by the beautiful lake George!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Katrina T
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 16 July 2014

nice place to visit, close to everything, Owners and staff are 5 star, needs updating which is currently taking place,access to the Lake is prefect,very clean, service is excellent, We will definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Theresa F
Teaneck, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Benjy K:

Lake George has been a part of my family for over 50 years - it began with my grandparents, then parents, and continues with my wife, my kids and me. We have come nearly every year for a week or two at different times of the summer over the years, from as early as July 4 weekend and as late as Labor Day weekend. In the early years we had looked at many (and stayed at some) of the resorts in Lake George Village, Diamond Point and Bolton Landing.

In 1978 we found the Thunderbird in Diamond Point (now called The Villas On Lake George), and stopped our search. We found very flexible and accommodating owners, lovely accommodations, and both a clean beach and pool.

As kids we enjoyed the row boats (now also kayaks), motor boats, and even fishing off of the dock. I still remember the many times when I used to water ski (when I was much younger). The marina has grown over the years, and they now offer more boat options as well as jet skis.

Our family always prefers cooking in, and the Kitchen suites have always been perfect for our needs providing us with a stove/oven, full size fridge, sinks and counter space. Pots, dishes, glasses and cutlery are all provided. The rooms we stay in have comfortable tables and chairs, so that the family is always able to eat together.

We have stayed in different rooms, depending on how many family members have come on the vacation, and have always found them to be comfortable. There has always been plenty of room to put our "stuff". The rooms have air conditioning for when it gets hot, and I think that each room has heaters (although I don't remember ever needing them). Each room has a TV (with cable channels), and a few years ago wi-fi was added.

I have gotten to know the Chiribogas (the family that owns and operates the resort) over the years, and they have become much more than friends. They are a wonderful family! Each year I would look forward to being able to spend our family vacation with their family.

My kids are now mostly grown up, but they, too, continue to talk about their memories in Lake George, and still want to join us when they can. We now live overseas, but we all still look forward to our annual trip to Lake George. We wouldn't even think of staying anywhere other than at The Villas on Lake George!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Benjy K
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We love it here this is my fourth year coming with my husband who's family has been staying here for over 30 years. This is a great place to make memories with your family. We even got engaged up here in front of the waterfall right off the lake. Our son is 2 and is already an avid fisherman fishing off the dock or one of rental boats offered. Highly recommended if your looking to make amazing memories with your own family.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Larisa R
Carmel, New York
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I have been vacationing at the Thunderbird for the past 5 or 6 years. As the Thunderbird has made the transition to the new 'Villas On Lake George/Thunderbird Resort & Marina', there have only been solid improvements made. The rooms are affordable and comfortable. The access to the lake is beautiful and easy. The grounds are lovely, as is the staff. Every year I look forward to returning and will continue to do so.

Room Tip: room #15... very nice