After reading many reviews on TripAdvisor, we decided upon Golden Sands for a long weekend visit. I made a reservation with Bob over the phone and he was very pleasant to deal with. Once we arrived, we were a bit surprised by the condition of the room considering this was rated the #2 hotel in Diamond Point. There was an overwhelming smell of cat urine as well as a musty “old cabin” smell. We went down and talked to Bob and he was very nice as well as apologetic and offered to move us to another room. Once in the new room, there was no smell of cat urine, but the smell of musty “old cabin” was still very prevalent. Additionally the refrigerator in the room had been unplugged and left open and was also a source of a very bad smell in the room. Bob did ask if the room was ok, but at that point, I was fairly certain the rooms were just going to have at least that musty “old cabin” smell, so I told him we would stay there. As we spent more time in the room we began to see where the smell in the room was coming from. The bottom of the walls had obviously taken on water as the wood paneling was buckling and was covered in mold and mildew. The carpet was very old and damp, the bathroom, although it has new fixtures, had mold and mildew on the ceiling, the filters in the a/c units had not been cleaned (although someone came to our new room to spray Pine Sol on the a/c units, which was interesting) and the refrigerator continued to smell very bad despite having the door closed and the unit plugged in. Finally, once we turned in for the evening, we noticed that the door did not seal shut…we could see the outside lights all around the door opening….not that this contributed to the smell in the room, it did contribute to the bugs in the room at night.
After much deliberation, we decided after one night that the mold and mildew was too much for my husband’s allergies and we had to leave. Aside from being disappointed about our vacation being ruined, we also knew that upon check-in we had signed numerous documents saying that we understood there would be no refund for an early departure, no matter what the reason. Therefore, we knew we would not be receiving any refund for the additional two nights that we had pre-paid for, despite having a health issue because of the condition of the room. When we told Bob we had to leave due to my husband’s allergies, he just shook our hand and said, “Ok….thank you”. Although he was pleasant, he didn’t seem concerned about the mold and mildew smell or the fact that we weren’t satisfied.
I just took the time to go back to the Golden Sands website to look at the pictures of the rooms and the room we were in absolutely looked nothing like the picture (I have uploaded pictures of the paneling and the door). Should you have the opportunity to go and see the room you want to rent at Golden Sands, I would recommend you do that before you book a trip. You may find that the room is fine for you and your family (as an FYI, the bedding was clean, the bathroom had new fixtures, and the TV was new), but if have allergies you may want to see if it’s something you can tolerate.
Finally, last night I received a photocopied “thank you” piece of paper from Golden Sands along with a brochure, presumably so we can keep them in mind for our next vacation. After paying for three nights there, two of which we did not stay, I suppose a “thank you” was in order from them, but we would have preferred at least an apology if not an apology and a refund.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Golden Sands Resort on Lake George is a "Family Atmosphere" lakeside resort motel offering comfortable 1 and 2 room accommodations on our private wide natural sand beach and shallow swimming area. We're located at the widest part of Lake George with spectacular 15 mile views, lakeside rooms, Free kayaks, Free Wi-Fi, private beach, dock, fridges, microwaves, playgrounds, ping-pong, b-ball, BBQ and picnic areas, lakeside fire pit, we're on Lake George trolley line, close to Lake George Village, and close to all restaurants and attractions! We're fun for the entire family! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, HRS, Hotel.de, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Golden Sands Resort on Lake George reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Sands Resort On Lake George Hotel Diamond Point
- Golden Sands Resort On Lake George NY - Diamond Point