“Simply Serene at Diamond Cove Cottages”

Diamond Cove Cottages
Reviewed 2 September 2008

The first thing that jumped out at us when we arrived at this resort was how serene it was. This resort is located right near the lake so needless to say the scenery was beautiful and just made us feel very relaxed.

The staff was very friendly, warm and efficient and made us feel right at home.

The rooms were cozy and comfortable (the shower was a bit tiny) but worked out okay. They also offered a variety of water sports (kayaking, boats etc.) plus a gym and spa services.

Also, the resort was conveniently located near many restaurants and places of interest.

If you need to get away in a simple, relaxing environment, this is the place for you. No frills and fancies but rejuvenating for the mind and body!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 July 2008

After writing a previous positive review regarding my original contact to Diamond Cove Cottages resort and being very pleased with Kristina’s politeness over the phone and willingness to bend over backwards as a last minute, peak season reservation to accommodate myself, my three children, ages 20, 16 and 11, and my grand children ages 8mos and 2 y/o, upon arrival, all my expectations were met and we had a wonderful stay for the week of 7/19 to 7/26.

Check in time is 3pm, but Kristina and John were kind enough to allow us to move our bags in at 1pm; knowing we would more than likely be arriving early, they went out of their way to prepare our unit for our comfort and to relax, something not even Walt Disney World’s premier hotel, the Grand Floridian was able to match last summer, even after a full year’s reservation.

Upon check in, we were greeted by both Kristina and John, a nicer and more accommodating couple is hard to find! The office is small but has all the brochures and coupons to local attractions any family could need, including posters of the local goings on in and around town, and they were all organized too.

Our unit was #21, I believe the only cottage with an attached covered porch, this came in handy as we had several storms move through this week. The deck was roomy with a plastic patio table and four chairs. Three of the chairs had cracks in the back and we didn’t even have to mention this, their maintenance guy replaced them promptly with brand new chairs. We also had a charcoal grill set in the ground just off the steps which we took advantage of often. This worked out great for making bacon & eggs on the grill.

Our unit was a bit aged but was very clean and organized. About 100 yard walk to the beach and dock. Our view of the mountains and lake were limited from our deck, but gorgeous at the beach!

The kitchen had a new sink, A/C (which cools the 3 rooms), a nice dining table w/4 chairs, new coffee maker, a toaster and a tiny old electric stove which served the purpose but with children, we had to remove the knobs so they couldn’t play with them. There were ample pots, pans, dishes, bowels, cups and glasses, even two clean dish towels. There’s a small but ample counter and sizable cabinets and dish drain.

In the room attached to the kitchen was a good sized 17 c.f. refrigerator/freezer, a fold down Adirondack style log couch which did wonders for my spine but it took my 16 y/o 30 seconds to fold it down after I couldn’t figure it out, and I’m a mechanic?

The two bed rooms had 1 comfortable twin bed each with dresser and mirror, a ceiling fan in each, but the rooms can get stuffy in hot humid weather as they share the A/C from the kitchen. We brought a small table fan. Electrical outlets are old type, are due for replacement and won’t accept new style three prong electrical cords.

The bathroom was small but very clean with no tub, just a tight fitting shower stall which makes it tough to bend in to wash lower legs. Sink and toilet was sparkling clean and a small shelf for rags and towels. I’d like to see a clothing hook installed. It was difficult in this unit not having a tub with small children as they had to bath in the kitchen sink. I forgot to mention this to John and Kristina, but one can get an unpleasant surprise by sudden cold water if someone in the next unit or in our kitchen uses the hot water, as I found out.

The interior room doors were quaint, thin wooden doors with old world latches which are noisy in the early AM when everyone’s sleeping but they add a nice touch to that back wood atmosphere.

The grounds and grassy areas were nicely trimmed with no over growth; in fact they planted some beautiful trees and shrubs of many varieties, and boaters will appreciate the brand new boat dock which is nicely designed with ample slips and a couple nice benches. I’d like to see an extension of the dock so we could fish further off into deeper water, but it served the purpose and we caught a few small mouth bass and good sized sun fish. Take a row boat out beyond the buoys and you can catch some nice Bass.

The beach was kind of small but was nicely kept and very safe and shallow for children to swim. There are plenty of new chairs for everyone. They rake and clean the beach each morning and we were hard pressed to find any litter or cigarette butts anywhere. Many families enjoyed the bon fires at night on the beach, although we went out to town each night.

The playground set is located between the lower cottages at the lower end of the property; I’d like to see a second play set placed at the top end of the grassy area and my 11 y/o really missed a swimming pool, which would be a nice addition to the property, just a suggestion.

There are three older but perfectly usable row boats and a few kayaks. Be sure to check for spiders before getting in, as we found out. I’d like to see the resort purchase new ores as the current ores are old, cracked and heavy, but they work OK.

John and Kristina know Lake George and they know the restaurants, the fishing charters and best fishing spots, the amusements, etc… and they get you discounts as well! She made our reservations for us at a popular restaurant, we ran late with the kids and she was pleased to call them again to change our reservation, never once giving us the impression she thought to herself “why can’t they make up their minds?” She was happy to do it. They know the delays and how we can get worn out, they have kids too, adorable kids at that, so she was perfectly understanding and helpful!

The resort has an insurance regulation about teens using the new gym which was disappointing to my 16 y/o as she enjoys working out, but we understand why. We unfortunately had little time to visit their new game room but looking inside; we found all brand new machines in a clean room.

Our unit was a housekeeping unit, so we never met the other employees except for their maintenance right hand man Paul; this guy was great! What ever we needed, whenever we needed it, he was on top of it.

There were a few minor repairs needed around our cottage, like a loose step, a loose railing spoke, a crib with loose base and couple other things, I mentioned these to him, he dropped every thing and fixed them immediately. John and Kristina should be honored to have Paul as a part of their team and family, and this guy worked his butt off, coming in on his day off during a deluge of a 6 inch rain storm, emptying garbage pails, checking the units for leaks and making sure everyone was comfortable. Not to mention we felt perfectly secure with our children around him.

The guests staying at Diamond Cove Cottages can be assured that if they find anything out of the ordinary or in need of repair, they won’t have to ask twice, as I have repeatedly found out elsewhere in even pricy hotels and resorts, having to ask, even demanding more than 3, 4 and 5 times to get something serviced or fixed, some times never getting satisfaction when a tub was plugged up in a four star hotel.

Paul is not just a maintenance guy, he, like John and Kristina, are new found friends who will go out of their way to make your stay as enjoyable as absolutely possible, and you can feel safe here with your children.

In another review I had read a review from someone who stayed here, he mentioned John would follow him around, this I doubt very much. What we noticed was John would periodically make his rounds, greeting his guests, checking the grounds for anything unsafe or in need of repairs, he was the perfect host.

After parking my car one late night, John and another guest, someone who had become great friends with them (I wish I got his name as he was friendly, gave me some fishing tips and lent me a bobber, even going out of his way to say hello in Bolton Landing one night), they were chatting on his porch and I can’t tell you how welcome I felt to join in on the conversation, I felt like I’ve know them for years.

If you want a place with that back woods atmosphere and knowing your children’s safety is paramount above all things, this is the right place to stay. Their few employees are screened and just as concerned for our safety and comfort as John and Kristina are. They have a very nice girl also working the desk that was also very accommodating and helpful, sorry, never got her name but she was so sweet.

John and Kristina are constantly upgrading the Diamond Cove grounds and cabins. Again, if there is something not working, something broken, one or all of them are on top of it and they certainly love to accept both positive and even negative feedback from their guests to make your stay even more enjoyable for your next stays here.

We wanted to stay a couple nights more, but they were sold out, John was even willing to call around for us to other establishments. Being sold out time and again is just a sign that who ever visits Diamond Cove Cottages resort, returns year after year, only to be pleased more and more each time.

They are not only your servants and the owners of Diamond Cove resort; I am convinced you will leave here hesitantly, never wanting to leave, knowing you are leaving behind wonderful new friends.

John, Kristina and Paul, thanks for making this a memorable and great vacation! Hope to see you all again soon! Hope you like the pictures I posted.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2008

We were there for 2 and half days & we enjoyed our stay.
It is a quite & simple place with beautiful views of Lake George. Ideal for families with kids. You should carry some BBQ stuff to completely enjoy your stay at this place. The room & especially bathroom was very clean.
The management is very helpful. We got a little late for our Dinner Cruise but they did their best to help us out so that we reach on time.

We had a good experience at Diamond Cove Cottages.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2008

We spent 4 days a few years ago at another Diamond Point resort. It was average at best. We wound up not returning for no particular reason.

This year we wound up at Diamond Cove. We reserved the same cottage for the same week next year already-- it is that good.

I am far from a people person. My ideal vacation would be an island with no one but my family and some friends. John & Kristina (the owners) and I hit it off from our introduction. In fact, John & I even managed to go fishing a couple of mornings before the office opened. It was as though we knew each other for years and years. I was pretty amazed and impressed.

They go out of their way to make sure guests are comfortable. New to the area? They'll let you know where things are happening and the best way to get to them. We were able to watch the July 4th fireworks from my boat which was just amazing.

If you have a boat, this is THE place to visit. They have, bar none, the best docks I've ever seen. Also, the docking area is debris free, and all sand. There is no possible way you can damage your boat. Forget the pics of their doc on their web site because it's inaccurate. They replaced their docks in 2008 and are brand spanking new.

The beach is also kid conscious. There's a little play house that one of our girls liked playing in. Plenty of Adirondack chairs & lounge chairs... no rushing to grab them or reserve them like it was at another place we went to.

Let's see. What else. The cabins are well air conditioned, cozy and very clean. The stand alone cottages are set so each one sees the water when you look thru the living room picture window. That's a pretty slick land layout.

There is a private beach. They rake it daily so it stays clean of any debris that floated ashore. The sand is mostly rock free. There are no guests allowed, so it never became over crowded.

It's most definitely family oriented. There is a pretty decent playground area for the little ones. Even our 1 1/2 year old twin girls had their own slide & infant swing (which was hard to pry them away from). Quiet hour starts around 11pm, and all of the guests respected that which was a pleasant surprise.

I don't know what else to say about this place... We came up to get away from it all, and wound up leaving knowing we were coming back to see our new friends next year. Besides, John and I are tied 1:1 for fishing days (someone has to win!)

Overall, the place was clean, the guests friendly, the staff very friendly and the owners stuck to it when they told me "we will make you comfortable."

We ARE returning next year. This place found a very very special place in all of our hearts. Make your reservations EARLY because most of us return. Our neighbors have been there for 35 years. Their kids were our other neighbors. Their grand kids were yet our other neighbors, believe it or not.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2008

Rooms were very clean and exactly as advertised. The facility as a whole was great for young kids. Our group had eight adults and six young children (ages 5 months - 4 years) spread over four cottages and there was plenty for the kids to do with a sandy beach, shallow water, safe playground equipment, and central gathering areas. Our group will be back next year!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2008

After a long and cold winter my wife and I needed to leave Boston for something different and exciting.....so we considered Lake George as an option. Many of friends had recommended this location in the past but we had no idea what we were in for. As we searched for places to stay we could not have picked a better place to stay then the Diamond Cove Cotteges in Diamond Point......I MEAN WHAT AN EXPERIENCE to say the least......John and Christina ,who were the owners, made us feel as were were visiting family for whom we had met for the first time......it was unbelievable the amount of hospitality they cater to their guests. The cotteges were extremely clean, cozy and fully furnished............the views from the lake were spectacular. We felt very fortunate to have met them being our first time at Lake George............this was certainly a Memorial Day weekend we will never forget and we could not have enjoyed our stay there with out their care and hospitality...................John and Christina we will see you again next year and we look forward to sharing our stories as we did that afternoon................best of luck at Diamond Cove Cottages......................a piece of heaven at Lake George ! : )

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2008

We have vacationed at Diamond Cove Cottages for two summers in a row, 2006 & 2007. Although we won't be planning a trip there this summer due to a new baby on the way in mid-March (you do the math- we vacationed at Lake George last summer at the end of June!), I highly recommend Diamond Cove Cottages. It is such a beautiful, relaxing place, and the owners are more than accomodating. There is so much to do in the surrounding area (you are right in between Lake George Village and the cute little town of Bolton's Landing), or you can just stay at the beach and take it easy. The cabins are quaint and clean, and the view from the beach is gorgeous. Hopefully we will be able to get a reservation next year when we decide to come back!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
#2 of 8 in Bolton Landing
Marine Village Resort
Marine Village Resort
#20 of 89 in Lake George

Been to Diamond Cove Cottages? Share your experiences!