“Great price, friendly people, excelent locale, average accomodations”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Diamond Point
Twin Pines onTrout Lake
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Great place to stay with a great price, Trout Lake is a gorgeous getaway. Super friendly management / ownership that were very helpful. Cabins are run down though and didn't have running hot water. Can't beat the price and location though. Highly recommend for the budget vacationer.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Ok let's start with the positive. The location is amazing, Trout Lake is a very peaceful spot we had a nice time canoeing and bike riding. The hotel provides many outdoor activities for free. Kayaks, canoes, swimming docks etc. the people who own/ run it are very nice and will make any accommodation to make your stay a good one. We really enjoyed getting to know them!
It is located about 10 minute drive to Bolton Landing which is an adorable town. Many shops, restaurants and Ben and Jerry's ice cream! It is a 15 min drive to the center of Lake George. Really, you can't beat the location.
Which brings me to the accommodations...I have always thought its all at how you look at things.
If you are planning on a cozy, pretty Adirondack get away like you see in the movies, sadly, this is not it. That is what i had envisioned. Now, if you are looking for an amazing deal, sleep lots of people with a kitchen and bathrooms for all...then this is your place!
It is not pretty on the inside. The cottages are worn and dated. The mattresses sag and there have not been many cosmetic upgrades in a long
time. The kitchens were clean and appliances worked well. The bathrooms had new shower stalls and great water pressure, I never got a hot shower due to the fact that 2 cottages share one heater. So, if you are considering camping but would love indoor plumbing and a kitchen then I believe you will be happy.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank lhvcowner
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We stayed at Twin Pines over the Columbus Day weekend in 2012. We used to stay at Lake George Escapes but switched after 5 years due to LGE raising the rates almost double.

FIrst impressions is: Nice well maintained lawns (they mowed twice in the 3 days we were there) i guess they want the leaves up quickly....either way the grounds were well maintained. I wish i could say the same for the cabins. out of the 8 cabins my family rented ours was the nicest one (ash 4). It would appear that hey seem to be fixing them up slowly and just have not made it to others yet. Minor issues with my cabin - screens that have holes in them, stove that you have no idea how hot it is, burner not working, light out on front porch, flys, no broom or carpet sweeper and no TV (yes, i said it....no TV). Before people start comment about the fact that i am mentioning the TV - let me just say - you are right - I should not care about having a tv when i am supposed to be enjoying the outdoors and my family and not glued to cable....BUT i have to admit - having a tv is just a part of our schedule and although i watch less then a 1/2 hour a day i just like to start the day watching the local news or some football on Sunday.

The minor things that i mentioned are all true - but dont paint a good picture....when in fact it was a nice place to stay. Just needs a few things to make it from average to great. Again i am talking about ASH 4 - some of the cabins my cousins, aunts and uncles stayed in looked like you could film a horror movie inside. Not disgusting just bare and in need of MUCH RENOVATIONS. I dreamed about the place if i owned it what would i do....and started making lists. some would need 100% complete tear down and redo and some just repairs. .....new beds, floors, stoves, shower curtains, - things like that.

Again - we tell our kids we are camping - so they spend 90% of the day outside - thanks to the no TV and for a kid - its great - for someone that just wants to see it great like me - they are going to have to invest some funds back into the place.

The lake was beautiful, the lodge - not sure what the purpose of that is - not much to do there.

The owner nice -

The grounds - really nice

Overall - its between average and above average - AGAIN JUST TALKING ABOUT ASH 4 - The other cabins below average.

good luck - we booked it again - hopefully over the winter they will be fixing more up. I am excited to go back and see if they did. This place could really be GREAT...but for now slightly above average.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank seadogs04103
Reviewed 1 September 2011

My family used to stay at Twin Pines when I was a kid so I have fond memories of the place. Trout Lake is a relatively small, but very pretty lake surrounded by mountains. Fishing and boating are good, but there is no marina, so you have to bring your own boat.

Twin Pines is, unfortunately, typical of the dozens of cabins, motels in the Lake George area. It is very basic and obviously very little effort is put into maintenance and improvements. Musty mattresses and peeling paint are to be expected. The Trout Lake Club across the lake has a nicer beach and a nice rec room for the kids but the cabins are absolutely atrocious.

If you have high standards and want to go to Lake George, you have to stay at the Sagamore or rent a private house. The Friends Lake Inn is also beautiful, and has by far the best restaurant in the area, but they do not allow children. The motels in the area are all basically dumps.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank johnmack63
Reviewed 3 June 2010

I stayed at this place during Memorial Day weekend with friends. When we called for booking, only 2 Ash type cottages were left so we got them. Living here was superb experience! The cottages were clean. They also provided bed sheets, blankets and towels. The kitchen was well equipped with fridge, stove, oven and utensils. They provide woods for fire which you can buy for 25 or 30 bucks. There was a grill outside the cottage for barbeque.

The location of this place is excellent. It is just 10 miles from Lake George and this place has a big area for cottages. It has private lake area on Trout Lake including a small beach. They have chairs on beach and one sitting area with patio chairs-tables just near by the beach. The view of the lake and mountains was amazing from here!! We enjoyed our breakfast here :). They have kayaks, canoes and raw-boats and they are many in numbers. Though all the cottages were full of guests, we always got boats. This lake is not as busy as Lake George so boating and swimming here was real fun. There were two tennis-courts, table-tennis and pool tables etc. A lot of things to do!!

Tom, the owner of the property, is really nice and helpful person.
I would like them to improve on these things: providing better bed sheets and blankets, properly working stove and oven in the kitchen, provide hand soaps in bathrooms.

Overall, very satisfied with the place and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank iluvtravel28
Reviewed 9 September 2008

I think the last review seems unfair
though the resort is ok a little bit rusted .but they offer kitchen and cooking staff ..and the lake is private also they offer many kinds of boats and equipments ..I went fishing everyday .
It also has BBQ outside and camp fire equipments ..compare with lake george's crowdy and noise ..this is like a gem in that area ..when we arrive that's even no vancany .
yes ..there is no TV and phone in the room ..and let me feel back my grandparents house ..but its still good feeling ..that's really a wonderful place to retreat and give yourselve to " waiting upon God "

Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank StaceyNJ
Reviewed 26 August 2007

I’ll try to keep this short and relatively concise:

1.The Room: While it was hardly roomy, we did manage to fit a family of four, including a play pen. It wasn’t the space that bothered us, however, it was the cleanliness: there were discarded potato chips right outside our door, the room had a musty smell, there were no fitted sheets on the bed, and my wife’s pillow smelled as if it had never been washed. To compensate, I put one of my old t-shirts over it so that she could rest her head. Kind of makes you long for your own bed, huh? At least from the outside, the other buildings didn’t seem to be in any better shape, except for the building that housed the front office, which was decent. Too bad they don’t rent that out to paying customers.
2.The Recreation Room: The “Wreck” room would be a better name for this building, with its broken window panes, dried bird feces in the corners, and splintered ping-pong tables that lacked ping pong balls. It housed an eight track player (!), a broken juke box and a beat-up VCR that we actually managed to hook up to play some dusty old videos that we found lying around. Loads of family fun!
3.The Lake: Really nice, I must say: clean, with a nice little beach. There were rowboats and canoes available. No complaints.
4.Activities: When we inquired about the advertised movie nights we were told that they no longer had them because of lack of interest. Campfire? Well, the one outside our room had foot-high weeds growing from it. When we asked about wood, we were offered a tow-truck-full for about forty dollars, which seems excessive when you consider how much you pay for a room and “free” activities. No wonder ours and the rest of the camp fire rings seemed unused. That was about the extent of the activities at this “family resort.”
5.Summary: My wife and I don’t consider ourselves overly picky and didn’t book this place expecting The Four Seasons. But we did expect a certain level of basic cleanliness and comfort. This expectation was not met, to say the least, and, rather than spend another night in such squalor, we cut our trip short and left after just one night. (We had booked four nights.) My suggestion is that you save yourself the headache and the money and stay somewhere else. (Preferably somewhere with a Triple A rating.)

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank rafterpd