“Pleasant and convenient”

The Candlelight Inn B&B
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dryden
The Candlelight Inn B&B
Ranked #1 of 2 Dryden B&B and Inns
Stoneham, Massachusetts
“Pleasant and convenient”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed in the Candlelight Inn for three nights and thought it was wonderful. The owner, Doris, could not have been more welcoming. I had called her a week before our arrival to reconfirm our reservation. I also said that we would be arriving after 3 o'clock.

On the day of our arrival, It took us a lot less time to get to the inn than we had thought. We called Doris from the road at 12:45 and asked if we could come then. She said to come right along that she would wait for us to arrive, show us around and then do her planned errands.

We had the Adabelle Van Fleet Suite on the second floor and we were very comfortable there. One room was a full bedroom with a new and very comfortable king sized bed. We only slept in this room. We spent the rest of the time in the other room (the bathroom is off of this second room). The second room has a sink, twin bed, and a sitting area with a television. This suite would be perfect for parents taking their child to check our Cornell or Ithaca College.

We stayed at this Bed and Bread because we had to attend a wedding at Cornell. It took less than 15 minutes to get to the campus. It is an easy and direct route to get there. The center of Ithaca and Ithaca College are only about five minutes further than Cornell.

Beware that if you are going to Cornell for the first time, you should allow extra time. The campus is huge, difficult to navigate, with limited parking. My husband, who is an expert map reader (and who is usually very calm) was totally frustrated by this campus. There did not appear to be any free parking during the day.

We had make a reservation at the Hilton in Ithaca, but we saved about $50.00 a night by staying here instead. We went to the Hitler for a wedding brunch and were not impressed with this hotel. Breakfast was NOT included at the Hilton.

At the Candlelight Inn, we enjoyed the best breakfast experience and food we have ever had at a B and B. Our table was elegant with tablecloths, cloth napkins, a napkin holder with a rose on it, and a lit candle. It was nicely served by a very friendly woman who also cleaned the rooms. Doris did the cooking and make incredible egg dishes and sweets. One morning we had the best hot scones we have ever had -- very light and very tasty. Another morning we were treated to a huge and delicious sweet roll.

I want to comment on a couple of negative comments that people have make. One gave this inn a low rating because the private bath was outside the room. I have learned by staying in many B and Bs that in B and B jargon a private bath IS often outside the room. I now know to ask for a room with an ENSUITE bathroom.

Another thing I have learned to do is to ask what time breakfast is served. Some B and B’s (especially small ones) have a fixed time for breakfast.

Another reviewer gave a low rating because of the toys in the living room. A B and B's is someone home and we are guests in their home when we stay there. There may be toys in the living room if children live there or visit the home. We had the privilege of meeting Nancy's adorable grandson when we were there. Staying in a B and B is meant to be a very different experience than staying in a hotel or motel.

We highly recommend the Candlelight and would stay there again, if we were in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband and I just returned from two nights at the Candlelight Inn B&B. Our trip to the Finger Lakes was planned very last minute, and we were fortunate to find a room here that didn't just meet our needs, but entirely exceeded our expectations.

Doris, the owner of the B&B, is a really gracious and inviting hostess. When we checked in Friday afternoon, she asked whether we had any dietary restrictions she should be mindful of when preparing the next day's breakfast. We told her that my husband is vegan, and that we know this can be tough to accommodate for breakfast, so we were OK with getting breakfast in town. But Doris reassured us that she could make a vegan meal for him, and the next morning we were treated to the best breakfast either one of us had ever eaten at a B&B -- delicious made-from-scratch vegan scones and fresh skillet vegetables over toast for him, and an amazing spinach/tomato/olive/cilantro omelette for me. The next day's breakfast was just as tasty.

The quality of the food is just one example of the care and thoughtfulness Doris and her staff have invested in this B&B. All of the spaces are nicely decorated, clean and calming (we stayed in the Rose Room). It's a short drive to Ithaca, the lake and several area parks. It's a great place to visit, and whenever we get a chance to go back, we'll look forward to staying at the Candlelight Inn B&B.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Jeffersonville, Vermont, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

A friend and I stayed at the candlelight at the last minute on a weekend in April. We arrived late and we were met my a wonderful woman who made us feel wonderfully welcome. It was a very cold weekend and she escorted us up to a beautiful suite of rooms. She made sure the rooms were warm enough and that we had everything we needed. The rooms are GORGEOUS,, the next morning we were treated to a fantastic 3 course breakfast. It was a wonderful experience and we intend on using this B&B again

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Valley Cottage, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

My wife and I spent two amazing nights at the Candlelight Inn B&B. The breakfast was among the best I have had at any bed and breakfast. Our hostess was attentive and warm. Our room was just perfect. My wife and I have permanent custody of our three grandchildren and it is an imperative to get away and have a great time. This experience exceeded all my expectations. This is a place that is truly worthy of 5 stars. My valentine getaway with my wife was just perfect.

Room Tip: Get the 2 room suite. It is well worth it.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Valley Cottage, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2013

When I was a young 20-something my older brother advised me never to believe anything unless I knew it to be true...... What good advice!! When I was in the process of looking for a B & B near Cortland, I came across this one. When I read the reviews I put it to the bottom of my list. Unable to complete this task, my husband took over and decided we should give Candlelight Inn a try. He made reservations for 2 nights. We stayed in the suite, which was comfortable and roomy. Doris was wonderful...personable....and an excellent cook. The breakfast we were served, on both mornings, was one of the best we have ever had....at any B & B... and we have stayed at many over the years. Our experience was great and we would definitely return again!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Kingston, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I took my parents to the Finger Lakes, and we spent 2 nights here. The owner was unable to be there when we arrived, but left keys for us. The house is light, airy, and charming, and there are suites available, which I appreciated, both for the cost savings and the pleasure of my families company. The owner makes it clear that breakfast is served from 9am to 10am, and it was, hands down, the best breakfast I've had anywhere, both mornings. The pace of the meal is leisurely, which suited us perfectly, we're on vacation! The rooms were immaculate, inviting and comfortable. I would definitely return!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

Having stayed at many B&Bs over the years, I suppose I have certain expectations. Like for instance, that someone will actually be there to greet you upon arrival, which was not the case at this B&B. Also, after having to actually "negotiate" a time for breakfast based upon the owner having to bring her granddaughter to school, I came downstairs to a completely dark dining area. The owner came out 15 minutes later in a bathrobe claiming she overslept. While the guestrooms were comfortable and well appointed, the common areas were strewn with baby toys. This is not a B&B, but a home where the owner rents rooms. Not worth your time or money.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dryden
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cortland
BEST WESTERN PLUS Finger Lakes Inn & Suites
Hope Lake Lodge & Conference Center
Homewood Suites by Hilton Ithaca
The Statler Hotel at Cornell University
Hampton Inn Cortland
Hampton Inn Cortland
#2 of 10 in Cortland

Been to The Candlelight Inn B&B? Share your experiences!