“Great Girls Getaway”

Ranked #4 of 11 Dundee B&B and Inns
Maplewood, New Jersey
“Great Girls Getaway”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Had two days of fun in the finger lakes at The Glenora Inn. The hotel gave a AAA discount., 10%. All the rooms have a patio. The 2nd floor rooms have patios that are open so you can see the stars at night. It s more costly. Our room was on the first floor and you can go out to see the stars. The hotel is located on Seneca Lake. Gorgeous views . Upon checking in, our room was a bit noisy since there were young kids next door. The hotel manager was able to change our room. I asked if we could be moved to the 2nd floor and was told that was more expensive. I get that, just note, that this was on a Monday and Tuesday nite and the hotel was not fully booked. I was sort of turned off by that. In other places I stayed they wouldve done so, if there were any problems.The hotel provided you with a bottle of wine in the room, champagne toast which we had before dinner, and 6 tastings a day at the Glenora Winery on premise. We had 18 tastings in total, that was real nice. The hotel had a nice restaurant overlooking Seneca Lake and the food was hit or miss. They did provide breakfast lunch and dinner and also take out breakfast for 4-5 dollars for croissants and egg sandwich, which were good. My daughter had the pork chop for dinner which was excellent. The pasta, I had was poorly made, and tasteless. I never order that, since I'm Italian, so part of it was a poor food selection on my part. The rooms were clean but a bit dated, can use to be upgraded. The TV was old school, not that you watched much. The place needed a pick me up. They did provide nice soap and such. They have a fake fire pit, gas run, which we sat at just to star gaze, but that could be better too. A very nice thing about the hotel its close to Watkins Glen State Park, highly recommend you see this . You can drive to the entrance of Seneca Lake and picnic there. Nice views. You can also take a lunch and dinner cruise which we did not elect to do. There are other wineries close by as well. The tasting room could have used some more enthusiasm from the people pouring the wine. Overall, we had a great time, and for two nights and a quick getaway it was perfect.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Hastings on Hudson, New York
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband & I stayed at the Inn for 2 nights during the week in the summer of 2014.

There are many positive features to this hotel. When you check in, you receive a bottle of Glenora wine (which you can switch up if you prefer a different wine) and also are given 2 glasses of sparkling wine. The view from each and every room is beautiful and peaceful.

One major thing I really liked about this hotel is that it has a rustic feel with the beautiful view, Adirondack chairs, etc... but also has all of the modern amenities of an up to date hotel. I'm not much of a B&B kind of person (and B&Bs seem to rule this area) so Glenora was a very nice alternative for a comparable price. It was also very nice to have a good restaurant, bar and tasting room all on site.

My issue with the Inn is a bit of a one-off. That's why I still gave the Inn 4 circles and would stay at the Inn again.

This is what happened: When we settled into our room, we noticed that the toilet would run and didn't seem to drain normally. Not the end of the world - we would just jiggle the handle. The next AM before beginning our big wine day, the toilet wound up running so much that it overflowed to the point of an inch of water covering the bathroom floor (which is quite large) and water out onto a good portion of carpet. Thankfully, this wasn't "dirty" water and was just some kind of toilet malfunction.

We called the front desk immediately who sent the cleaning staff. At their seeing what a major issue this was, they brought in maintenance. Maintenance did some work on the toilet and the staff worked on cleaning up the floor as my husband & I finished getting ready (by husband wound up not being able to take a shower that AM because of this issue). The cleaning staff were very apologetic and pleasant.

After returning from our wine day, we noticed the toilet still not working properly. It would still run and now required flushing twice.

So, when we checked out, I told the front desk that the toilet still had a problem and reminded her about what we dealt with the day before. What really irritated me was the dismissive "oh, that's how it works up here, you just need to jiggle the handle sometimes". No "thank you for letting us know, we'll look into that right away so the next guest doesn’t have the same issue", no "we're so sorry for your inconvenience in dealing with this plumbing issue - which resulted in toilet water all the way out into your living space/carpet - let us comp the dinner you charged to your room", no nothing. And, I'm sorry, "that's how it works up here" is not an appropriate response to a guest who just spent a lot of money to stay at the Inn.

So, again, I truly believe that my experience was atypical and other than the toilet fiasco, everything was simply lovely!

Room Tip: Ask if the toilet is working properly!
4 Thank Heather L S
new jersey
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We just spent two nights midweek here to visit wineries along Lake Seneca. The room was clean with a spacious bathroom, coffee maker and small refrigerator, along with wine glasses. Our first floor room with patio and adirondack chairs offered a gorgeous view of the lake and vineyards. We checked in around 2pm and had our free glass of sparkling wine, and found a bottle of white wine in the room which we upgraded after doing the free wine tasting session. Staff seemed friendly and we enjoyed a wonderful dinner outside on the second floor restaurant terrace. The special pricing midweek along with 3 free tastings and friendly but understated service all combine to offer a relaxing mini vacation for couples or groups. Free coffee and tea are available in the halls on both floors from 6-11am.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms may be somewhat quieter..I did hear conversation from the balcony above one eveni...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tahiti88
Pittsford, New York
Reviewed 9 August 2014

You cannot find a better view on Seneca Lake. Although the rooms are a bit aged, they are clean and the rooms each have their own private deck. We were there on Halloween and it was a quiet night. Having the restaurant on site with a nice bar is a plus and the food is top notch. They also have a great tasting room for wine tasting. You really must plan ahead as they are booked months in advance. A place to definitely return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Shamong, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend in the Finger Lakes. We were there for an art festival in Burdett, NY but have stayed previously at Glenora. We've always enjoyed our stays but this time we were disappointed. I booked our stay in February online and was not contacted that there were any weddings booked. I called the day before our arrival, again, not informed there were any weddings booked. Arrived on Thursday, not informed about weddings. There was a small sign at reception welcoming guests of a couple which I assumed meant a wedding. That evening we were able to go to the bar for a couple of drinks but after driving all day, we opted not to have dinner at the restaurant and just retire to our room. Friday morning, go down for breakfast. The server informs us there are three weddings, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Friday night, we go to have drinks at the bar, not open, closed for a private party. We were offered to sit out front in a small courtyard that overlooked the parking lot. Not my idea of a good time to sit in the afternoon/early evening sun with a lousy view. The view is the reason we come back to Glenora! Saturday, same thing. We also were never told that they were accommodating other hotel guests in the wine cellar for dinner when my husband mentioned to the front desk about us having to go elsewhere for dinner. I love this place and was so disappointed. We were given a discount on our room for the inconvenience upon check out but I will be sure to ask if they have weddings booked in the future.

1 Thank Christine W
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My Wife and I stayed one night primarily for the scenery and solitude. The view was fantastic and included in the room rate was a bottle of wine, free tasting and sparkling wine on arrival. The wine was not of great quality but you can upgrade for an additional charge. The room was clean but the hotel is a little ragged around the edges (paint....our sliding glass door screen was lying on the deck....apparently needing to be put on its track, older furnishings), however overall a good place to stay. We were quite content when sitting on the deck in Adirondack chairs, sipping the wine and enjoying the view of the lake and vineyards. It has an attached restaurant a little on the pricey side but also with a beautiful view from the large outside deck when dining.

Room Tip: Try to get a second floor room which has a deck versus a patio.
1 Thank Donald G
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at glenora for our anniversary. We stayed for 2 nights and greatly enjoyed it. The furnishings were simple but elegant. The view was amazing and every room has a patio with a view. You get a complimentary bottle of wine in your room which can be exchanged for another of your choosing. You also get complimentary wine tastings every day of your stay at their winery. Everyone was very friendly on staff. Would definitely return!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundee
Best Western Plus Vineyard Inn & Suites
#6 of 11 in Geneva
The Blackberry Inn B&B
The Blackberry Inn B&B
#1 of 17 in Watkins Glen

Been to The Inn at Glenora Wine Cellars? Share your experiences!