“Second Visit - NOT Happy”
Review of Blackthorne Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in East Durham
Blackthorne Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in East Durham
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This was our second time at the Blackthorne. We went during Irish Arts Week last year and had a wonderful time. Since I gave the resort a glowing review last year, I had to update with this years’ experience. The one positive thing I can say is that our kids did have a decent time because of all the other kids around and the amount of room they have outside.

This year, when we called, there were no A rooms left so we booked a B room. I am not sure what other B rooms are like but we were booked into Tera Hall. Worst.Room.Ever.
When we arrived and walked into the building, I could not believe that there was such a drastic difference between our accommodations last year and this room. The entire building is extremely dated - think dark wood paneling and paintings on velvet. The entire feeling was something out of the Twilight Zone. Our room was very dark, depressing and looked out onto two trailers.

The morning after we checked in, I asked if it would be possible to move to another building but they were all booked. We went back to our room and found water running down through the ceiling into our bathroom shower. When we complained the staff said they would tell the upstairs people to put the shower curtain into the tub.

Later, when the staff was doing laundry for the resort, I turned the water faucet on to try to take a shower and the room had NO water. This was a common occurrence during the week. Apparently, this is a known issue as other visitors to the resort told us they had heard this for years. I ended up showering in the camper showers for three days while I was staying and I was never so happy to be back in my own house in my life. The owners really need to address the condition of this building as it is atrocious. I would be embarrassed to rent these rooms to anybody in the condition they currently are in – for any price. We could have stayed at a pretty nice hotel for what we paid to stay here, in squalor.

We spent almost all of our time at the pool (when we were at the resort. They did not include horseback riding this year and the food was better last year than it was this year. I registered as a vegetarian and twice they had run out of the vegetarian option by the time I got there. One night I was given a decent vegetable stir fry. The second night, they had nothing so I got the regular sides (spinach and some starch), minus the meat. I was looking forward to another fun family vacation and I was sadly disappointed. The area is beautiful and I would return to East Durham but NOT to the Blackthorne.

Room Tip: DO NOT stay in Tera Hall.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank melissaa_williams

Reviewed 4 June 2012

Owners and staff are as friendly and attentive as anyone could ask for. Grounds were spotless. Room was clean and neat. Convienant to all Catskill attractions. For a relaxed family vacation spot, it's hard to beat.

Room Tip: Tell the staff what kind of room you desire. The place is huge: near the action is a bit noisier, aw...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Joseph M
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My family and I spent Labor Day weekend at this resort and had a very memorable trip. We arrived shortly after 9pm and watched as the bar filled up with college age, twenty-something's, and bikers. Once we made it to the room we realized the huge mistake we made. The rooms were old, smelly and relatively unkept. When I finally got my kids to bed I noticed a flickering in th window. I peeked out side and found the residents below us enjoying a large Bon fire, an acoustic guitar jam session, fueled by suitcases of natural ice beer (I didn't realize this was still in production) and jack Daniels. The evening was capped of at 430 am when several rounds of fireworks were set off in the center of the resort and lasted about 30 minutes.

At 7am we took a tour of the resort and found the last motley crew standing hanging out around the pool with bottles of firewater and their guitars. As we continued the tour we found caged birds malnourished resting in their feces, a run down play ground from the 80s and a closed haunted house crawling with rodents.

When we made it to breakfast we were greeted by friendly staff and a clean facility. When the food made it out it was hot and tasty. That day we took a trip to Saratoga which was a long ride and not recommended. When we returned for dinner we again found pleasant staff and decent food. We were also able to enjoy the bar and festival taking place. Drinks were fairly cheap and the entertainment was great.

Overall I would not suggest bringing a family to this place. Although many families were there it's geared more towards a single crowd looking to have a good time on short money. Food and service were good given the location.

Room Tip: Rooms are poor quality. Bring your own sheets and pillows.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank PJ D
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have been going to the Blackthorne for 17 years and it just keeps getting better and better. The food is excellent and they treat you as if you were family. It is a great place for kids--the playground will keep them occupied. The entertainment is always good. Don't expect fancy overdone (and overpriced) rooms--just comfortable, clean and homey. Just spent the weekend there and the Valentine's dinner Saturday night could compete with the finest restaurants. If you want a friendly and fun place to go to, the Blackthorne is a place you will enjoy. My daughter got married there in October and everyone who was a guest at the wedding wants to go back for another weekend.

Room Tip: Ultra deluxe rooms have jacuzzi tubs and more amenities for a slight price difference.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank shamrock547
Reviewed 17 February 2012

will be going back VERY soon. great place. great people.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Sarah19892
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We were at the Resort during Irish Arts Week. We brought our 15 and 5 year old sons to BlackThorne and both of them asked if we could go back next year! It is very difficult to find a place where both ages can have so much fun. I totally agree with MadMary65 that if you want a place where your kids can meet other kids and have a wonderful experience, this is the place for you. It is not luxury so if that is what you are looking for, this is not the place for you.

We had a comfortable, clean room. Again, it was not luxurious but it was what I expected to find. The food was good. There was a playground for smaller kids and the pool was clean and refreshing. The grounds are huge so there is plenty of space to run and play. While we were there, people were practicing and playing music all over the place so that was an awesome addition to the regular fun to be had.

I would definitely recommend this place and I hope that we will go back another year.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank melissaa_williams
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I spent the weekend at the Blackthorne Resort it was the end of Irish Arts Week. This is the first visit for me. My room was nice and very spacious it also had a patio outside to relax. The staff was very pleasant. The meals were great and service also very good.
Entertainment in the evening was very enjoyable. I would love to go back and visit again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Blackhead Mountain Lodge and Country Club
Best Western New Baltimore Inn
Best Western New Baltimore Inn
#1 of 2 in West Coxsackie

Been to Blackthorne Resort? Share your experiences!