“Good times with great friends!!”
Review of Blackthorne Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in East Durham
Blackthorne Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in East Durham
East Greenbush, New York
“Good times with great friends!!”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We didn't stay in a hotel, we stayed in a tent :) We were there to see Jackyll and Pat Travers, and what a show they gave us. Lots of vendors, Habitat Jungle, food, BEER...must I say more. You could walk around for hours looking at some of the most unique motorcycles (it was a motorcycle rally that weekend) as well as unique people...lol. They have a beautiful dinning room where they serve all kinds of food from breakfast to late lunches.There are showers. real bathrooms and no portta potty's! You can bring your RV or tent they have water and electric for everyone's convenience. This event happens every year, although it was our first year at the Blackthorn, we will be back. What a great time!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tammy I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Millbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Could have saved 800.00 and squatted in one of the abandoned houses in the area. Just got home from Catskill Mountain Thunder, what a horrible experience. Showed up on Thursday with friends that I invited to go. Boy what a mistake.Should have known from the start it was not going to be good. made reservations in February ,when I called to confirm in August they told me I was booked for a weekend in August and there no rooms left for the mountain thunder.Finally they found me a room.Really wish they didnt. When we showed up, what a surprise the room was, it smelled like wet dog,had dirty carpets and the toilet was not even flushed from the last prisoner to stay there. There was no electricity or water the first day so my wife and I could not use the shower or toilet. The room was dark and dirty and beds and walls were outdated in 1979. the welcome breakfast Friday was OK but no sign of the bloody marys or mimosas that were advertised. We were told by staff We ran out, not even sorry we ran out. Second day they ran out of eggs. The staff just did not seem to care. The event in the field area was a typical bike rally not bad. The bar was crowded and lively and music was good. the staff left bottles and cans all over the place and the bartenders and waittresses were inexperienced. I have been to many bike events around the country this is by far the WORST I have seen.To top it off when we were leaving they asked me if I would like to make reservations for next year. HAHAHA. Mayby if I got the towels I asked for 2 days ago I might not have checked out a day early. As I was leaving this hell hole theres some moron with a back blower blowing dust all over bikes worth thousands of dollars. You might think after 14 years of doing this the people at the blackthorne might be able to get it right. Best part of weekend was the fireworks, maybe they should put the money into infrastruture instead of amusment. I will never stay here or reccomend this dump to anyone, even people I dont like.

Room Tip: Dont go here
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
13 Thank ed0809

Travellers are raving about these East Durham hotels

Farmingdale, New York
Reviewed 14 September 2013

The only positive about this so called 'RESORT', was we did not have to stay in one of their rooms. We provided our own accomodations by bringing along our Travel Trailer. Which is always clean. They do have a campground on the property. However, the trainsient sites are very limited.

I cannot speak for the cleanliness of rooms, however, I can speak volumes about the facilities and amenities.The pool, forget about it. As described in other reviews, dirty and stained water. Their Tiki Bar did not have any mixes for any tropical or theme drinks. Go figure, it was only Memorial Weekend! We lost power twice and lost water three time in 4 days. And not only in the campground, the entire resort. There well ran dry and needed to be shut offfor 3 hours to replenish. Not so bad for me paying $60 a night but an inconvenience. Had I been paying $1,000 for the weekend, I would be mad! We stayed past Monday to avoid the Memorial Traffic. The majority of the campers left on Monday and dumoed there sewer tanks into the sewer inlet on their sites. The entire sewer system for the campground backed up because it could not handle the volume. I will not described what came of that!

For all of the beautiful property they have, they do not see fit to have any organized recreation for the kids. The playground is vintage at best, and rusting away. And did I mention the pool? This once was a thriving resort long ago. It has been some time since I was last there before this trip. And I was shocked at the state of the property and the lack of organization and logistics.

We only had one meal there and it was not bad. The bar area and nightlife is probably what saves this place. After the recent fire, the main building that was rebuilt is very nice. They also book very good Irish Bands. Which is why we go there.

It is a shame because I have been going to Blackthorne since I was a 4 years old and always had a great time. Again it has been a while since I have been there. It seems as if the owner has set his sites on other areas of the property, and letting things like updating infrastructure, recreation, and maintaining and upgrading the property fall apart.

If you plan to camp there, which I do not recommend, it is first come first serve. You cannot make a reservation. And there are only about 15 to 20 sites with water, electric and sewer. The majority of the campground is seasonal campers. So if you planning a weekend camping trip there, get there early on Friday or even Thursday. If it is a holiday weekend, than Thursday.

I truly do not like writing negative reviews. However, I do not have anything positive to say about this place unfortunately. I hope the ownership uses these reviews, which are all basically the same, constructively. And they make the necessary changes to make this place great again. It truly was a shame to see what the Blackthorne has become.

Our date of stay was Memorial Weekend 2012

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
9 Thank Sean K
Mahopac, New York
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Stayed at the Blackthorne over the Memorial Day Weekend. Rooms were musty to the extreme. TV's had poor reception. There was zero to do there for the kids. It rained the entire weekend, and there's absolutely NOTHING for children to do indoors, especially when the television is on the fritz, and there's no WIFI.
The meals were mediocre. The young man manning the pasta station continuously brushed all the crumbs and dirt off his apron while standing above the cooking pasta, making sure 100% of the grime ended up within your meal. Disgusting in every way.
Do yourself a favor. Opt for anywhere else. Try Gavins.
On the upside, the staff was always extremely friendly, even when cleaning their attire while preparing your meal.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Grither
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

This place is so run down that it appears unsafe. Many dirty, rusty surfaces particularly noticeable in playground area and around pool. Buildings in desperate need of repairs and paint. Broken glass and caps from beer bottles randomly litter the grounds. It is sad, this place was probably charming decades ago.

• Stayed August 2013
9 Thank bluesnail1
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank bluesnail1
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This trip was amazing. So much to do. Animal shows on Mon, Tue. an AMAZING!!!!! fireworks show, Wed. A magic show. And then Thur -Sat bands in the bar with no cover charge. This was a hopping place. Great staff and so much to do. There is a bar next too the pool that makes awesome frozen "adult beverages" while you watch your kids swim and play in the park. I would for sure go back.

Room Tip: There Tarra hall and Rose garden rooms are great
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Gavin's Irish Country Inn
Gavin's Irish Country Inn
#1 of 1 in Cornwallville
Bavarian Manor Country Inn & Restaurant

Been to Blackthorne Resort? Share your experiences!