“Not so good this time”

Comfort Inn LaGuardia Airport - 83rd St
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in East Elmhurst
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I had reviewed the Comfort Inn-East Elmhurst about a year ago and, at that time, gave it three stars. The hotel was either new or had recently been renovated, and I was impressed or at least satisfied with most of the amenities. I'm sorry to report that, since then, the quality of this hotel has suffered.

On my recent stay, I was first given a room on the second floor. I immediately noticed a very strong and unpleasant chemical oder, undoubtedly from the use of a heavy-duty cleaning product. Next, I saw that the heating unit under the window looked like someone had taken a hammer to it. The front panel was dangling and the control unit was pushed in. I advised the front desk and was told that maintenance wasn't available until the next day, but that I could change rooms if I wanted. Since the heating unit was still operational (despite its battered appearance), I opted to keep the room. That is, until I couldn't stop the water in the toilet from running. Then, when I slipped off my shoes, I discovered that the entire carpet was wet. At that point I took the offer from the front desk clerk for another room, this time on the third floor.

All initially appeared well. No toxic chemical smell, no gurgling toilet and a nice dry carpet. I glanced at the heating unit and was pleased to see that it appeared to be intact. And then I touched it - quite gently, actually - and the entire front cover came tumbling off (see photo attached). But, since it was operational, I decided to let it be and remained with the room (although the thing made such a racket during the night that my sleep was disturbed several times).

On the plus side, the Internet service worked fine, the bed was comfortable and the toilet, shower, etc. all functioned adequately.

A general question that I have: why is it that many establishments such as this seem to have a problem with the plastic linings placed in the waste cans? Invariably, they are stuffed in the cans, but rarely are they "unfurled" (for lack of a better term). Unless I want to stick my hand in to properly line the waste can (a task that I would expect housekeeping to perform), whatever I place in the can actually just sits on top of the liner. Do other travelers experience this little annoyance or am I the only unlucky one? Or (as my wife claims) am I just too fussy?

Room Tip: Better not touch the heater!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank John-David L
hiren1811, General Manager at Comfort Inn LaGuardia Airport - 83rd St, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear Valuable Guest:

I'm concerned about the problems you experienced at our hotel during your recent visit. I'm writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn LaGuardia Airport - 83rd St

Reviewed 12 January 2012

We spent one night before leaving new york city out of laguardia. Upon review of the other reviews I was not sure what to expect exactly. our room was really small with a very comfy king sized bed and newer flat screen tv. We took the M60 from the city and it drops you off within walking distance of the hotel. I wasn't too sure of the area as it was night time when we arrived and it did not appear to be any kind of restaurants and stores in the area, however the hotel itself appeared secure and it was quiet. We used the shuttle service to the airport and it was a very quick ride however there were quite a few of us waiting for it to come back from the airport and the front desk clerk did not make an effort to call the shuttle despite 7 of us waiting in lobby right in front of him. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are needing quick access to the airport and I am sure it would be okay to stay at for a longer time, although I would be a little uneasy about taking the bus to the area late a night when commuting from the city. We did not use the free breakfast that was included with our stay, however the morning we left it smelled as though someone had cooked toast!

We had a very noisy heater in our room and ended up shutting it off in the middle of the night. I did not find the room drafty.

Room Tip: Check your heater before settling in in the event you need to switch rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cookiecutie
hiren1811, General Manager at Comfort Inn LaGuardia Airport - 83rd St, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear Valuable Guest,

Property CHI
Comfort Inn LaGuardia Airport
718-779-1100

Reviewed 6 January 2012

My boyfriend and I arrived at the Comfort Inn on East Elmhurst mid-afternoon with great aniticipation, being that it was our first trip to the "Big Apple" together. The front desk clerk was unpleasant and seemed sleep deprived. We settled into the room and it appeared decent at first sight. However two days after being there I looked in my backpack and discovered my sealed bag of sunflower seeds had been chewed up. I also noticed what appeared to be rodent droppings in the bag. Needless to say we were freaked out, after the discovery a number of things took place, but what overshadows the event of finding evidence of a rodent is the way we were treated afterwards. Members of the staff made inappropriate remarks and behaved as if we brought the rodent into their establishment. I would not recommend this hotel to a dead dog.

Room Tip: Beware the rooms already occupied by the rodents that live there. If you choose to stay at this poo...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Octavia M

Reviewed 28 November 2011

My wife and I were stuck overnight on returning from a Canada/New England cruise due to the late 2011 October freak snow storm. We were able to book ourselves into the Comfort Inn near LaGuardia. The airport shuttle came in about 15 minutes. When we arrived we had been given a room on "C" level. This level is partially underground. The room was clean and the fixtures in the room and the bathroom plus the carpet all appeared to have been recently replaced. However, we were under the airport flight pattern (noisy). Also, while the room was recently renovated, the window which revealed that we were half underground had not be finished. The window coverings were nice but the insulation around the window had not been completely replaced. The air came in freely around the window so we stuffed the cracks with paper and wash cloths. We asked for a different room but were told that the place was full. We would have been satisfied with the room and the price if the renovations had been completed.

Room Tip: Be sure you ask for a room that is not on the "C" level.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bobcat43

Reviewed 3 November 2011

Landing late into LaGuardia and not wanting to travel into the city, I chose to stay at the Comfort Inn next to the airport. While it was cheap, it wasn't worth low cost.
Problems:
1) I called to get the shuttle and it took 40 minutes for the shuttle to arrive. It only takes 5 minutes to get from the airport to Comfort Inn.
2) The shower didn't work. I had my first bath in years. LOL
3) The free breakfast pastries were stale.

The staff was friendly but I won't be back.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I stayed at this hotel because my usual hotel I use when flying out of La Guardia was full. This hotel is near La Guardia, but in an odd location on kind of a side street. The hotel has a very small parking lot of about 12 spaces which were full when I arrived. This is NY - come on! At least provide parking for a hotel guest. I had to park down the street in a questionable area and was worried about my car all night. I asked for an upstairs room but was given first floor which I did not like. Also, there is not a fitness center in this hotel and it is not in an area you would walk by yourself at night.
The room was clean but was about the smallest hotel room I have been in for a long time. I could not open my suitcase on the floor. The bathroom was tiny - and had a sink with no vanity so good luck putting in your contacts or anything. The toilet was like a commercial airport toilet with no lid so you could not use that either.
I did not bother with the breakfast - I figured I would get better food at the airport so I cannot tell you about this. They do have wireless internet and I had no problems with getting a connection or using the internet.
I doubt I would stay here again unless it was my only choice. Pay a little more and go to the Marriott or the Hampton Inn - they have parking and a gym.
There is not a restaurant close either other than a Dunkin Donuts so eat before you check in as there will be little choice within walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Nanpacific
Reviewed 6 September 2011

After an amazing five-night stay in Manhattan, our flight home out of LaGuardia was cancelled at the last minute. Desperate for some sleep, we thought we'd try this place.

The room we received was in the basement. Not completely underground ... but below grade. It was dirty: stained carpets, stained bed spread, hair all over the washroom, etc.

This prompted me to inspect the mattress. A quick check revealed three dead bed bugs along the seam on one side of the bed. At that point, we decided to leave and take our chances with a night at the airport.

As we were leaving the room, a cockroach scurried across the floor and under the garbage bin. Seriously.

We demanded our money back. The front desk staff was apologetic and courteous and we caught the next shuttle back to LaGuardia where we slept on the floor.

The floor at LaGuardia = better than this place. Don't stay here ... and if you do, maybe ask for an above-ground room.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Hampton Inn New York LaGuardia Airport
Best Western Plus La Guardia Airport Hotel Queens
Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport
New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott

Been to Comfort Inn LaGuardia Airport - 83rd St? Share your experiences!