“Could have been better”

LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in East Elmhurst
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed in one of the 'double bed' rooms. It looked pretty decent when we entered, nothing that would prompt you to change rooms immediately. There were a few stains on the carpet and the TV was the old box type. Dint make me too happy. But the reason I'm giving them only 3 stars is that I had 2 problems. One was the roaches I saw coming from a hole on the wall, near the table between the two beds. We had immediately clear all the food stuff we had outside and pack them.
Next was that we were able to hear voices from the next room all through day and night. I think someone left the TV turned on but it was plain annoying. We spent most of the time roaming around in the city and I did not really want to spend time complaining and changing rooms. So I cannot really comment on how the customer service would have been. Restaurant is just a rip off btw.
The people at the front desk were pretty helpful when we asked about the shuttles and subway connections. They also arranged an early morning cab(black car) for us and was pretty decent and not very expensive.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Effie M, Manager at LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thank you for your business and for sharing your experience and opinion with our TripAdvisor community. We do value your comments and will be addressing the issues toward improving overall guest satisfaction. Thank you again and travel safe.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We came in at 9 am because our cruise came in and we were flying in early the next day. We wanted a close hotel near the airport. We had to wait a little to get our room but they did let us check in early. One of the front desk people was very short with my husband but the manager was very nice and helped us. Bed was very uncomfortable. Shower was good. Those are the two things I look for in a hotel. Get new mattresses. Memory foam is awesome. The pool was in need of some work and a guy was in there looking shady and like get out of here look. The hotel did the trick though. Paid 218 with tax when I was quoted 144. Not sure what happened there. We asked for a taxi we got a limo at a "30 dollar ride no 20 dollar ride". I would say if you are going to call a ride for someone ask do you just want a taxi or a limo service? and quote the price. It was too much money to get a ride up to the mall. Also was told we have a service ride to subway 7 to Manhattan but you have to find your way back they did give us options though. The movies to order is too expensive 16.99 for a movie on the tv? Really pricey. We did not do that. They have done some cosmetic work to make it look nice, but the rooms walls seem to be rotting. You have to really look hard though.

Room Tip: They are all pretty quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heather E

Thank you for your business and for sharing your experience and opinion with our Trip Advisor community. The convience and value of the hotel are definately on point , between the present time and the next several months the hotel will begin extensive renovations to restore its grand appearance and bring the hotel's oversized rooms up to date with all new furnishings and amenities. Thank you again and travel safe.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

I am the type of person that is always reading the reviews before I travel, so I hope this is helpful. I wanted to visit New York City and since it was going to be my first time, I wanted to do the whole "Sex in the city" experience but unfortunately, I decided to visit (found out after I purchase my flight) at the same time as President Obama which limited me to a hotel in queens since all hotels in the city were booked. I was already a little disappointed hotel prices all over the city sky rocketed and I was paying high price for a hotel not in manhattan. The highlight of my stay was this hotel. The staff made me feel like I was in a downtown luxury hotel especially Derek and Darlene they assisted me in find everything I needed and and even pointed out that even though I was in queens manhattan was train or cab ride away. Darlene very courteous and professional always had great smile and extremely friendly demeanor and Derek show extreme professionalism and was very helpful every-time so if you do go to New York looking for that "Sex in the city" experience I recommend starting it in queens, and I recommend that you stay at the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel!!

PS
Say Hello to Derek and Darlene!!

Thanks
LaGuardia Plaza Staff for an amazing time!!

Tex in the City!!

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for your business and for sharing your experience with us and the TripAdvisor community. We are pleased to hear that your stay at the LaGuardia Plaza hotel was a pleasant and accomodating experience. We will be sure to let our staff of hospitality professionals know your thoughts about your stay. We look forward to seeing you soon, travel safe.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I stayed here twice for my business trip, I like it here and I would definitely come back again. One thing happened both of my trip was that the room key card got malfunction, other than that... Everything was great for around a hundred bucks in New York.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your business and for your comments regarding your recent stay. The staff and management appreciate the fact that your stay was of value . We will look into your comment in regards to your room key malfunctioning and address the issue to avoid it from happening again. We look forward to seeing you soon . Thank you again and travel safe.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

My family booked their stay via the hotels website with the hopes of finding larger space and comfort then Manhattan. They arrived in NY having recently taken trips to Dubai, Turkey, Spain and Japan to find their room tighter then they imagined a room outside of Manhattan would be. What the room size lacked, the hotel made up for it in the excellent service, cleanliness, professionalism and diversity of hotel guests making the LaGuardia PLAZA quite cosmopolitan. The pool, gym and business conference rooms seemed barely used, perhaps due to the short stays guests typically have (missed flights, next day cruises, stewardesses and pilots). After a few days, the room turned out to be cozy as we found ourselves spending time at other parts of the hotel when not touring NYC.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Effie M, Manager at LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thank you for your business and for sharing your experience and opinion with our Trip Advisor community. The staff and management are glad to hear that we were able to overexceed your expectations. We will be sure to let out entire staff of hospitality professionals know your thoughts about your stay. We hope to see you soon on your next visit. Thank you again and travel safe.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We had a day layover between the end of our cruise and our flight out. We checked in several hours before check in time without any problems. The room was clean as was the bathroom. The location is great for airport access besides the free shuttle is great also. We ate at the "Embers" the hotels bar and grill where we had a very good meal. So thank you Lorraine and Carlyn at the front desk and Jasmine and Terrence at Embers for a great stay. Hope to be back someday!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your business and for your comments regarding your recent stay. The staff and management appreciate the fact that your stay was of value . We look forward to seeing you soon . Thank you again and travel safe.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I had to stay here because my airline cancelled my flight, and airline had booked me in here. My room was on the 3rd floor. The room was ok, the shower looked unclean so I did not venture in to try it out. The shower room was very basic, I suppose like the room. I went down to the bar to get a drink and some food. There was no room to sit at the bar and no available tables. I eventually got a drink, but stood up drinking it. I did not order any food so I went back to the room. So glad I only stayed here for one night. Checked out early in the morning to catch the shuttle back to the Airport. Shuttle driver was great.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your business and for you sharing your comments with our Trip Advisor community. Your comments are very helpful to us as we work toward improving overall guest satisfaction. Thank you again and travel safe.