“OK- but housekeeping is a den of theives (and mgmt doesn't care)”

LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in East Elmhurst
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Our room was ok- we actually got to look out our window at the giant inflatable rat that everyone talks about.

During our second day at the hotel we attended the US Open to return to a stolen cell phone and (this one is really creepy) 2 of my 8-year old daughters outfits had been taken as well.

We immedidately informed the hotel manager who needed a suggestion to actually come up to the room to talk to us. While he said all the right things including that he would follow-up the next day he didn't do anything. Two days passed without any follow-up from him or anyone else at in the hotel management. I finally found him on the third day and he informed me he had filed a claim with the hotel insurance company and that they would be getting in touch with me. But that was all that was said.

I would not recommend staying here, especially if you have anything of value that you are travelling with. And if you are travelling with any valuables take them with you or be ready to part with them.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,020)

Reviewed 21 July 2009

Purchase two rooms on Priceline for $115.00 a night. The size of the rooms were fine but the bathrooms were not cleaned very well. Hair all over the standing only shower and behind the bathroom door.
The pool was a great size and the kids really enjoyed it. FYI however the pool is open to local residents so the pool is not exclusive to hotel guest(this might matter to some people so I'm just putting it out there)
We chose this hotel to be clost to Laguardia on the last day of our stay in New York. Around 7 or 8 am we were woken up to constant banging sounds. My husband called the fron desk and they said construction was happening a few floors above us and they would tell them to stop. They also offered us another room which didnt make any sense. What would be the point in waking my children up to exchange rooms when we have to leave in a couple of hours. Then we heard the noise again. My husand gets up and goes to the front desk and speaks with the manager. He was told an assortment of lies by her so he decides to go upstairs to see where the work is being done and sure enough it was right above our room. By then the ceiling pieces have fallen off and a few landed in my mouth as I was laying in the bed. My husband than goes back to the front desk and the manager gave him a supposive corporate office number and a contact name that would not be available until next week. We decided to look up Corporate office information and of course it didnt match what the manager provided us so we just continue to hold to speak with a customer relations rep. After dealing with them for for at least a half an hour the manger decides to call us back and offer us breakfast. We turned her down and then she offered to sign us for priority award points that will allow us a free night with any of the participating hotels. (I have to follow up on this to make sure she didnt lie to us again)
In summary....No we would not stay there every again and we would never recommend it to friends or family. The manager continued to lied to us so please follow up like we did to ensure what they tell you is correct

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2009

I had an unplanned stay here when my flight from LGA was cancelled. The rate was expensive ($269+tax), but the hotel itself was good.

There was a very long queue at the checkin desk (all flights to the east coast were out) but the staff were professional and cheerful throughout. The room was as expected for a crowne plaza - relatively large and very comfortable. The airport shuttle was efficient and again the driver was upbeat and courteous. There was free wireless which was pretty fast.

The lobby bar was great - good beers on draught, tasty bar food - and the gift shop very useful for toiletries, socks and all the other things you need when having an unplanned stopover.

I usually stay in independent places with a lot more character so wouldn't have chosen to stay here if I was visiting the area, but for an emergency stopover it surpassed my expectations.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I went to this hotel because i had a booked a family reunion. I planned this reunion well in advance. the staff n the sales department were really not up to date with contracts. they seem to have all the time to get the business and once they got you thhey just put you to the back of the list. when i checked in the hotel we had 2 young ladies in training trying to check us in, i feel their effort but they just didnt know. the carpets look dirty i still do not find what was renovaated in the Hotel because it all looks the same to me. i really wouldnt recomend it. the only thing that might pass by as good are their governer suites or honeymoon suite which by the way are really expensive.

Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed 14 June 2009

Recently stayed here for work. Shortly after checking out, I realized I had left a newly purchased dress in the closet. I called the hotel from the airport, and I was told they hadn't cleaned the room yet and would call me back. When they did call back, it was to tell me they did not find my dress and they "don't normally have a problem with their staff taking belongings from the rooms." Thanks, that does me a lot of good.

Also, the walls are paper thin. We could hear our neighbors easily - and they were not being annoyingly loud, they were just having normal conversation. That is a problem if you have to wake up early for your job.

Stay here if you want your stuff taken from you or a bad night sleep. Otherwise stay away.

However, the inflated giant rat in front of the striking workers that greeted us when we arrived made it almost worth having to buy a new dress. Great photo op!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2009

My husband and I stayed here because it was close by to a friends wedding reception. I stay in lots of hotels and am usually pleased with a middle of the road hotel (hilton garden inn etc) as long as they are clean and the service is good. This did not meet either requirement. The carpet in the room was dingy and threadbare. The hallways were musky and not well kept. The lobby and other common areas were nice and clean. The parking garage was not well lit and everytime you entered and left you had to go to the front desk to get your ticket validated. This was inconvenient. Also there is no elevator for the parking garage. The service was subpar as well. At check in both clerks were on the phone and basically ignored us. We went to the hotel bar for a drink, it was empty yet when we set down the bartender walked away. If you just have to stay near LaGuardia for a night you will live but I'd stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2009

Stayed here because we thought it had four stars and was close to Bayside, where we had a family function (Expedia, etc). Looks like it was built in the 1950s and renovated once. Restrooms, elevators not clean. Carpets unclean. Elevator on its last days. Paint on room doors look like it has had at least 20 coats and never scraped. Some of the rooms are pleasant and roomy with nice beds and linens, desk, and free Internet. Service at the desk was a long wait. Room information says "lock your valuables" but there was no safe and the front desk would not lock up my computer.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family