“not worth the money at all, ok hotel”

LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in East Elmhurst
ohio
“not worth the money at all, ok hotel”
Reviewed 25 December 2009

I traveled here from ohio in aug 08 with a large group of family and friends for a friend of the families wedding. When our plane landed I called the hotel as we waited for our luggage and the shuttle was waiting as soon as we stepped outside. Check in was quick and in a breeze. The decor was very 80s-ish, but clean and nice. It was a nice hotel but not any nicer than a holiday inn or anything you would expect for 400 a night. There was also duct tape on the carpet in the revolving door area.

Our room was a queen double, and my fiance and I stayed in one bed and my adult brother in another. The room had those heavy curtains that blocked the light with a clip to keep them from gaping open. A/C worked very well, and I was 8 months pregnant at the time of travel. I actually got cold in the room. We had a mini fridge that worked very well. My only complaint about the room itself is that the bathroom didn't have a fan, vent, or even a small window to let the steam buildup out while you showered. You almost had to shower with the door open to have some relief. We also rented an in-room movie (Cloverfield) and we were informed via the tv screen that the movie would be available for the next 24 hours. Well when we started watching it, we discovered that you could only pause it and not rewind or fast forward, and after the movie played through once it was done. You couldn't re-watch it within that 24 hour period, which I had been under the impression that you could.

The gift shop is terribly overpriced.I forgot hairspray and a travel sized bottle was $3.95 in the giftshop when you could get it for .99 at walmart.

I inquired at the front desk about a body pillow because when I was pregnant I could not sleep otherwise. The man told me that they only had a couple in the whole hotel, and while I was out they would locate one, launder it and have it waiting in my room when we returned. Well when we returned I had no pillow and I asked and the night clerk said there was no such pillows on the property. I was sorely disapointed to say the least. This same night clerk also flirted with me and asked for my number even though I was obviously pregnant and clearly traveling with 2 men.

The hotel isn't really near anything except La Guardia airport and a couple bus stops. I also did not like that here was no public restrooms on the first floor. Our friend chartered a bus and we were all waiting downstairs for the bus and I needed a restroom and had to go all the way to the 2nd floor and couldn't even find them at first.

I would stay here again, but now I am much more financially strapped so definatly not at that rate.

• Stayed August 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 17 December 2009

Stay at the newly renovated Marriott across the street...
We were treated quite rudely here. We waited to be picked up at the airport for an hour, and consequently didn't arrive at the hotel until after midnight. We called the hotel three times, and finally the 3rd time they told us to wait upstairs. Very frustrating, especially because we were traveling with a 2 year old who was exhausted. When we arrived at the hotel, upon checking in, we were told we had reserved a smoking room, which I can't imagine I did, but I asked for a nonsmoking, and the lady at the front desk gave me a hard time, because she said I had bought the room on Priceline, and therefore, she didn't normally allow any changes. She acted like she was doing me a huge favor by switching me to a nonsmoking room. Gee, thanks. I paid over 100 a night on priceline, I think I should be allowed the room I'd like. (this is all on Thanksgiving day by the way). The rooms are severely outdated, with decor clearly from the 1980s. The walls are also quite thin - we could hear our neighbors coming, going, and talking very clearly (and I'm sure they hated us too, with a toddler around).
It's okay if you need a night, but don't expect to be treated with respect.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these East Elmhurst hotels

Nashville, TN
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Room was clean and well-appointed. Staff very friendly and professional. Close to airport but quiet. Short walk to terminal (half-mile).

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank KayDeeEm021
Boulder, CO
Reviewed 14 September 2009

Another airport hotel that gets by because of location. I was here because of the US Open nearby. The rooms are dirty, bathroom was dirty, room service non-existent, 20 year old TV in the room, cheap bedding, couldn't wait to get out and get to my plane.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
roanoke, va
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Our room was ok- we actually got to look out our window at the giant inflatable rat that everyone talks about.

During our second day at the hotel we attended the US Open to return to a stolen cell phone and (this one is really creepy) 2 of my 8-year old daughters outfits had been taken as well.

We immedidately informed the hotel manager who needed a suggestion to actually come up to the room to talk to us. While he said all the right things including that he would follow-up the next day he didn't do anything. Two days passed without any follow-up from him or anyone else at in the hotel management. I finally found him on the third day and he informed me he had filed a claim with the hotel insurance company and that they would be getting in touch with me. But that was all that was said.

I would not recommend staying here, especially if you have anything of value that you are travelling with. And if you are travelling with any valuables take them with you or be ready to part with them.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Chicago
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Purchase two rooms on Priceline for $115.00 a night. The size of the rooms were fine but the bathrooms were not cleaned very well. Hair all over the standing only shower and behind the bathroom door.
The pool was a great size and the kids really enjoyed it. FYI however the pool is open to local residents so the pool is not exclusive to hotel guest(this might matter to some people so I'm just putting it out there)
We chose this hotel to be clost to Laguardia on the last day of our stay in New York. Around 7 or 8 am we were woken up to constant banging sounds. My husband called the fron desk and they said construction was happening a few floors above us and they would tell them to stop. They also offered us another room which didnt make any sense. What would be the point in waking my children up to exchange rooms when we have to leave in a couple of hours. Then we heard the noise again. My husand gets up and goes to the front desk and speaks with the manager. He was told an assortment of lies by her so he decides to go upstairs to see where the work is being done and sure enough it was right above our room. By then the ceiling pieces have fallen off and a few landed in my mouth as I was laying in the bed. My husband than goes back to the front desk and the manager gave him a supposive corporate office number and a contact name that would not be available until next week. We decided to look up Corporate office information and of course it didnt match what the manager provided us so we just continue to hold to speak with a customer relations rep. After dealing with them for for at least a half an hour the manger decides to call us back and offer us breakfast. We turned her down and then she offered to sign us for priority award points that will allow us a free night with any of the participating hotels. (I have to follow up on this to make sure she didnt lie to us again)
In summary....No we would not stay there every again and we would never recommend it to friends or family. The manager continued to lied to us so please follow up like we did to ensure what they tell you is correct

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 4 July 2009

I had an unplanned stay here when my flight from LGA was cancelled. The rate was expensive ($269+tax), but the hotel itself was good.

There was a very long queue at the checkin desk (all flights to the east coast were out) but the staff were professional and cheerful throughout. The room was as expected for a crowne plaza - relatively large and very comfortable. The airport shuttle was efficient and again the driver was upbeat and courteous. There was free wireless which was pretty fast.

The lobby bar was great - good beers on draught, tasty bar food - and the gift shop very useful for toiletries, socks and all the other things you need when having an unplanned stopover.

I usually stay in independent places with a lot more character so wouldn't have chosen to stay here if I was visiting the area, but for an emergency stopover it surpassed my expectations.

Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Hotel de Point
Hotel de Point
#7 of 18 in Flushing
Comfort Inn LaGuardia Airport - 83rd St

Been to LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York? Share your experiences!