“This hotel did not meet the Marriott standards I have come to know”

New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in East Elmhurst
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I used to stay at Marriott properties frequently on business, then switched to Hilton brands. So this past weekend I stayed at this property looking forward to the typical Marriott standards. I can't say I feel like this has occurred. In general the hotel is in OK shape, but our room was good. I think they are in the process of renovating and our room was fine - except for the ventilation. We were sweating all night even with thermostat pushed all the way down. They said they'd have a repair guy come - who did - but it still blew room-temp air. We had to open windows (facing highway in front) which was noisy.

I mentioned this issue to the front desk twice and they said they'd have a manager call, I'm still waiting.

To top it off they charged me for 2 nights parking even though I never even entered the parking garage - and charged an extra garage night for another room where I had family staying. I had to bring it to their attention at which time they removed the charges. Restaurant waiter was also pretty surly to our group of 12 for breakfast...

It was just disappointing. I'm not saying this hotel is a dump or anything like that, it's OK, but I feel like it did not live up to Marriott's usual excellent standards.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
david_salcfas, General Manager at New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Good Day,

Thank you for your feedback. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure that all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Your review will help us make the necessary improvements in our guest rooms, especially with the ventillation as it was discussed during our most recent team meeting. We hope that next time you’re in the area you will consider staying with us again. I hope you will give us the opportunity to show you that we can provide exceptional service and facilities in the future.

718-5333-3000

There are newer reviews for New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott

Reviewed 13 January 2014

...the front desk called to say that they were very sorry that our pickup at LGA by their Shuttle was delayed...(we waited over 30 minutes, and called twice)..so they invited us to have lunch in their restaurant for free! Having read some negative reviews just before I went, and having seen that the manager was responding to each of them, reaching out to the authors - I figured their service would be good. What I did not count on was how EVERY member of the staff was genuinely welcoming, and nice - from the shuttle driver, to the front desk employees, waiters, and housekeepers. Yes - there was some signs of construction, but given the easy proximity to LGA, and NYC (not to mention Queens), I whole heartedly recommend this as a great option - especially for shorter trips. The rooms are smallish, but Marriott quality, the food and service in the restaurant was great, the people awesome. Great job - and thanks.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Good Day,

Your comments about your stay at our hotel made me smile. We know it’s the little things that make your stay more comfortable and memorable. Hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I got stranded here when our flights got cancelled. We were exhausted but were looking forward to a nice dinner so we went to the restaurant... I guess it was under construction so they had tables set up in a ball room. We waited at the door to be greeted as we are normally accustomed to at marriott hotels. No one greeted us so we walked in and sat down at a dirty table. Someone came and wiped it off but walked away without taking our drink order. We looked around and saw two servers looking around, almost clueless, and waited a few MINUTES to see if they were going to assist us. We saw another guest get up from their table to get dinner menus from another table and we decided to leave. Clearly the service we were expecting wasn't going to happen here.

We ordered room service and had a great experience. The server who delivered our food was so friendly and our food was great.

In the morning I left the room and a gentleman met me in the hallway. He asked if I was checking out. I didn't see a name tag and he wasn't in a full (?) uniform so I didn't know how to respond. He asked me again if I was checking out and I said that my room was still occupied (as my fiancé and I were flying to separate cities at separate times). He asked me again if I was checking out and I said yes. He then told me that the elevator was broken and to follow him. I figured he must work for the hotel so I followed him to a service area, where he led me down to the main floor in the service elevator and a security guard met me and walked me out. In hindsight I greatly appreciated the associate's gesture of helping me to the lobby, however, he wasn't wearing a name tag or a full uniform and never introduced himself as a hotel employee. I also didn't understand why he was standing outside my door at 6:45am. But, I appreciated his help.

Shuttle drivers worked quickly and the hotel is across the street from LaGuardia. The guy who picked us up had a really bad attitude and wasn't very friendly. He didn't even acknowledge it when we tipped him for the ride.

Overall... Our stay was ok. We got a nice, clean room last minute, which is what we needed. But we expected more.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
david_salcfas, General Manager at New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Good Day,

I am sorry to hear about the problems you encountered at our hotel in the restaurant. I appreciate you letting me know so that we can improve our service. I will be happy to speak with you further about the experience so that we make sure all issues are resolved. We have corrected the issues and have moved back into the full service restaurant. I take your feedback extremely serious and would welcome the opportunity to speak to you. Please call me directly at 718-533-3000. In the meantime, I will be working diligently with our staff to make positive changes.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

As a Marriott Rewards member this property does not deserve the Marriott name as it is on par with some low budget motel. I have been stuck in New York for the past two days because of the weather and this airport hotel adds insult to injury. The restaurant is closed because of a leak. In sore need of remodeling there is construction going on. Tiny bathroom and old carpeting.

Close the hotel until it can reopen in decent condition

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
david_salcfas, General Manager at New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Good Day,

Thank you for your feedback. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure that all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We are diligently working to make the necessary improvements in our facility and sincerely apologize for it's current condition. We hope that next time you’re in the area you will consider staying with us again. Please call or email me so I may have an opportunity to personally make the arrangements once the work is completed.

718-533-3000

Reviewed 1 January 2014

I had to stay here a couple of nights because I was stranded because of cancelled flights due to inclement weather. I gave it 3 bars because I expect more from a Marriott. The hotel looks a bit run down as if it was stuck in the 80's and despite the fact that the room accommodations are acceptable and I had no trouble sleeping, I do wonder why a hotel which is by the airport does not have any onsite laundry service. If there is a hotel which should have it... its a hotel close to the airport.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
david_salcfas, General Manager at New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Good Day,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your concerns. I apologize that we were not able to deliver the laundry service from our off premise vendor. I take your feedback very seriously and will communicate with our associates to ensure it does not happen again.

718-533-3000 or david.salcfas@marriott.com

Reviewed 21 December 2013

We stay here two different nights, when we arrived and departing. The staff is very nice and the rooms are clean and quiet. We did have what I thought was a long wait for the hotel shuttle bus to pick us up when we arrived, it was very cold and raining and I had to call a second time to let them know we were still waiting - 30 minutes. The bar and restaurant are good, but we would have preferred and nice restaurant for dinner. The dining room is only open for breakfast. The shuttle bus was nice enough to drop us off at the Hertz rental the next morning.

Room Tip: When checking in to any hotel, I always ask to not have an adjoining room and be away from the ice m...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
david_salcfas, General Manager at New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Good Day,

Thank you for your comments. We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor and I greatly appreciate you adding your experience.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I was bumped from a flight that was supposed to leave LGA late at night and Delta gave me a voucher to stay at this Marriott. After hours of delays and bad weather, it was nice to see a smiling face at check-in, which took all of about 2 minutes. I was immediately booked into a king sized room. The room was spacious -- definitely worn -- but comfortable for the few hours I needed it.

I had a drink at the Empire bar, which is way overpriced. $13 for a glass of wine is crazy, especially when a bottle would barely cost that much, but it's NY at an airport hotel, so what can you do?

The shuttle to and from the airport was fast, friendly and efficient. Under the circumstances, I certainly appreciated the hotel's fast, courteous service.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
david_salcfas, General Manager at New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Good Day,

Thanks for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. I also appreciate the constructive feedback, this is the best way for us to improve. Hope to see you return again soon.
Safe travels.

Airway Inn at LaGuardia
Airway Inn at LaGuardia
#11 of 12 in East Elmhurst
Best Western Plus La Guardia Airport Hotel Queens

Been to New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!