“Overall was a nice stay”

New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in East Elmhurst
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Our stay was overall really nice and we were well treated. However, one incident that occurred prior to our arrival got us off to an pleasant start which took us a while to brush off before being able to enjoy ourselves.

We landed at LGA at 11:00pm on Thursday night and immediately called the hotel to arrange our shuttle. We were told to wait by the appropriate stop outside the terminal and the shuttle arrives approx. every 15 minutes. After 25 minutes of waiting we called the hotel and were told that the shuttle should arrive in the next 5 minutes. 15 minutes later we were still waiting. I decided to call once again. Now we were now being told that the driver is just about there. We ended up waiting another 10 minutes before the shuttle finally arrived.

When we made it to the hotel around midnight, we reached the front desk where they clearly knew who we were, but we did not receive an appropriate apology or explanation for what had just happened, they just asked us for our credit card.

Quite a shame to start off our stay like that, but once we were able to brush it off we had a nice time.

If possible I would rate 3.5 stars

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jacob r
david_salcfas, General Manager at New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Good Day,

Thank you for your feedback. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure that all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Your review will help us make the necessary improvements in our shuttle service, as it was discussed during our most recent team meeting. I cannot apologize enough for the inconvenience we caused with the arrival. Glad to hear once you settled in, the experience was good. We hope that next time you’re in the area you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed one night as we had an early flight.
The service was good.
we decided to return car rental late at night and the hotel shuttle picked us up from there.
The shuttle in the morning to lga was on time and great.
The beds were AMAZING. Room was quite, we slept great. did not hear the planes or outside noise at all.
the only complaint would be the bathroom is small, but clean and nice.

would stay again

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
david_salcfas, General Manager at New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Good Day,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and will let the entire team know that they helped you have a great stay with us, by having a pleasureable nights rest. All of us at the LaGuardia Airport Marriott are passionate about hospitality and we hope to see you again soon. We are also reviewing our plans to address your comments in regard to the size of the bathroom, we realize it is hard to move around and are looking at a long term solution.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Convenient location, 5 min from airport, quiet, clean rooms. Check in was easy. Rooms were comfortable, no refrigerator, seemed to have been updated in the recent past. Parking was pricey, $12 for 2h.

1  Thank ranishi
david_salcfas, General Manager at New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor and I greatly appreciate you adding your experience.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel around New Year Eve for 3 days. First when we got to the hotel, they told us that Kayak has double booked the room accidentally and we had two rooms instead of 1. I understand the technical errors that occur on occasions but the front desk staff was not just rude about it (as if it was our fault) but told us that we couldn't check in until the issue was resolved (yes they have two empty rooms but wouldn't let us check in at all..lets not forget this is after already tedious holiday travel). I still said fine, they're just doing their job and waited at the lobby. We finally got to check in after a little while but the manager as well as the receptionist had the same "ughh i hate my job attitude" the whole time. The hotel overall was nice. Some of the staff need to learn how to treat their customers.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Puja U
david_salcfas, General Manager at New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Good Day,

I am sorry to hear about the problems you encountered at our hotel. I appreciate you letting me know so that we can improve our service. I will be happy to speak with you further about the experience so that we make sure all issues are resolved. Please call me directly at 718-533-3000. In the meantime, I will be working diligently with our staff to make positive changes.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

While I don't expect an airport property to have the same standards as one of the Manhattan Marriotts, I do expect a certain level of quality from a full-service Marriott. This one didn't deliver.

2-night stay for the Belmont Stakes. Check-in was lovely, friendly. Front Desk associates could not have been more helpful or inviting.

However, the property itself is extremely tired. The rooms are small and soft goods are dated. Full renovation is needed. Called for foam pillows and extra towels upon arrival (which are in my Platinum Preferred profile) and had to call again 3 hours later.

As is frequently the case, the concierge lounge was closed for the weekend. However, most properties then at least have free bottled water in the concierge-level rooms. Not this property. No refrigerator in the room.

Breakfast in the restaurant was good, service was friendly.

But the worst aspect was definitely the bar. Went down for a quick late lunch bite upon arrival. After sitting for 5 minutes watching the staff talk to one another, finally had to ask for menus. They were paying no attention to us. Tried to order Arnold Palmer - no lemonade. Placed order for cheese quesadilla and chicken quesadilla... both were inedible. Advertised as coming with onions, tomato and avocado, they were actually cooked inside the quesadillas. Had to ask for replacement of the cheese quesadilla as a result. All three orders had a bad taste, like cooked in old oil or the cheese had absorbed another flavor. Service was slow, inattentive and food unacceptable.

Evening bar service (just for drinks) was a bit better, but limited stock of specialty liquors.

While this property has all the technical elements of a full-service Marriott, in reality the Courtyard just down the road provides a much better experience - rooms and food/drink - and will receive my business in the future. They are closer to what should be provided at a full-service property.

Whether this is a corporate property (doubtful) or one of the contract Marriotts, someone needs to put a serious investment into renovating this property and giving it a facelift both in service and appearance.

3  Thank BurBunny
david_salcfas, General Manager at New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Good Day,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your concerns. I apologize that we were not able to deliver the hotel service standards which you deserve. I take your feedback very seriously and would like to discuss this matter in person. Please phone me at the hotel, 718-533-3000, so that I may better address the matter in regard to the physical condition. We do value your loyalty and hope you will give us the opportunity to do better.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

This hotel is not one of Marriott's newer hotel, but its nice enough. I stayed one night for a professional meeting. The property has been updated, and the room was very comfortable. I walked around outside a little hoping for a small restaurant or grill, but found none even though there are other hotels nearby. The bar was open and served meals, though the restaurant was not open at 8PM on a Friday night.

Room Tip: no advice; I did not use the spa or pool
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
david_salcfas, General Manager at New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Good Day,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to hear you found the property to your liking. We will also review your other comments with the team.
We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Chose this property because it was a Marriott, and the proximity to LGA. Arrived close to midnight, and kept calling to inquire about the shuttle. Told it was coming, waited about 40 minutes, which was not acceptable, especially given the late hour. Maddening thing was that the shuttle went by me once with no attempt to stop and check for "customers". Got to the hotel, the manager was apologetic, and most importantly told me that he would look into the issue and address it.

I was on the 7th floor, clean, comfortable standard issue Marriott room, there is a lot of traffic noise, but surprisingly you don't hear planes. Was able to sleep through it.
The concierge lounge has a nice selection for breakfast.

Reason to stay here....location, location, location!

1  Thank Rhapsodyinblue
david_salcfas, General Manager at New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I am so sorry that you did not have a good experience with us. We strive for 100% guest satisfaction, and we failed you on that. I will address your concerns with my team and use your feedback to make improvements to our shuttle service. If you would like to discuss this matter in greater detail, please phone me directly at 718-533-3000. I hope that should you visit New York City again you will give us the chance to show you how great we can be.