“Surly service mars this discount dive”

Americas Best Value Inn - E Greenbush / Albany
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in East Greenbush
Reviewed 9 May 2011

First the good points--the place is cheap and convenient to the main strip (Columbia Turnpike). The room we had was spartan and clean. Despite being near the main road, it was quiet and all we could hear was the neighbor(s) taking multiple showers.
I'd say for a few days in town this place is okay.

It has a small microwave, a small refrigerator and an old shower (no bathtub, so parents with little ones, beware!).

Now for the bad...the service. The motel is run by people who either have no idea about customer service nor do they care. When we checked in, the man at the front desk did not greet us. He did not offer a smile. He just stood stoney faced and demanded with grunts that my partner fill out the form and hand over his credit card. This lack of customer service continued throughout our stay. Any time we had to interact with any staff member (all related, apparently as they seemed Eastern/Indian) we received indifferent shrugs (perhaps they do not understand English?) and sighs of annoyance.

I also felt paying upfront was a bad sign of a shoddy run organization.

Room Tip: Ask if you want a room with a bath.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
ABVIGreenbush, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - E Greenbush / Albany, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2011

Dear Saxonpointer,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our clean rooms and convenient location. I apologize for the apparent lack of customer service you received during your stay. I have spoken to the front desk and the appropriate action taken. As with any service industry, money (in exchange for goods or services )is exchanged beforehand. Businesses such as grocery stores and gas stations require customers to pay for goods before using them. Hotels (including our establishment) all require payment in advance and is not a sign of a shoddy organization. We hope you visit us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Americas Best Value Inn - E Greenbush / Albany

Reviewed 18 March 2011

If you're looking for a no frills, value stay in the Albany area, this is your best bet. No complaints, staff was helpful, nice furniture, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank SteveM29

Dear SteveM29,

Thank you for choosing Americas Best Value Inn. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our friendly and helpful staff and nice room furnishings. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 5 February 2011

We where told cost of room was $60, however when we arrived, said was $70. I argued and got my rate reduced, however our friends couldn't get theirs reduced. Couldn't get room door open because of the ice and water buildup inside of door. Husband had to just about kick the door down to get it opened. Walked in and room smelled musty, old and nasty. I wouldn't even walk on the floors without my shoes on, the floors where that filthy. Table and chair in room - filthy. Bathroom disgusting. I put towels on the floor before I would step into shower. Shower stall wasn't horrible, but had a hard time getting faucet to turn on. Towels and sheets where clean, but comforter was disgusting. There was dirt caked in every corner of the bathroom and room. Our friends had mold on their shower walls. Our other friends couldn't get their toilet to flush. Stains on the carpets, looked like someone had eaten in the room and it was never cleaned up. Walls had brown stains on them. Curtains where disgusting to touch. This $60 room was more like a $30 room. Only two cons...it was 10 degrees outside and the heater worked great and there is an IHOP next door that served a great breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank kampinggal

Dear campinggal,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us. I apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay. As a rule, our front desk quotes room rates not including tax. I have discussed the issues you had with housekeeping during your stay and the appropriate action taken.

Reviewed 1 December 2010

very nice up here I will stay here in the future.
I don't think that I have ever rated a motel this good on here before, but there was nothing to complain about here. No its was not the ritz. but it was clean, safe.and much better than expected.
I had to stayed here with a few of my co workers and we were satisfied with our room. The staff was very nice and very helpful

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank rickfact

Dear Rickfact,

I appreciate the fact that you took time out of your busy schedule to share a review with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our clean rooms and friendly staff. If you ever return to the area, we would love the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 23 November 2010

Mold in the showers, rock hard bed, crappy tv, had to unplug the fridge as is was extremely loud, front desk would only give our group one key per double bed room and insisted that we "stay in our rooms til we check out, no in and out". Expensive compared to other quality motels we've stayed at......would NEVER go back!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business

Dear Iamthenight,

Thank you for sharing an opinion with us. I apologize for any negative experience you encountered during your stay. We are planning to replace several of the king mattresses next year. We hope you give us another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed 1 September 2010

I couldn't get a room at any neighboring hotels due to no availability. This hotel is located near I-90. The grounds are well kept. My hotel room was very large. However, the bathroom was terribly outdated. I believe that was PINK tile in the shower. The carpet was decent and so was the lighting. The bed really wasn't very comfortable though. I only had 2 pillows on a KING size bed. There was some mysterious hole in the floor behind the door.

There is NO shuttle. The front desk clerks were ALL extremely rude. One of them followd me into the parking lot screaming after I politely refused to leave my luggage in the waiting area while I went to breakfast. I asked her to lock it in the storage and she suggested that I leave my valuable luggage in the hotel lobby waiting area. No thanks!

Obviously, they never heard of security. The hotel is run by individuals of Indian descent. The hotel is located one block from a International House of Pancakes. However, the IHOP is only open from 7am - 10pm.

I would only repeat if nothing else is available. The place wasn't that cheap either.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank 200NitesAYear
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Reasonable Rates - Comfortable beds - pet friendly Great location w/ many walk-to restaurants Room was comfortable & clean w/ large flat screen TV; Friendly service; heating/cooling worked well. The room came equipped with microwave & mini fridge. Complim. Coffe in office  You may want to bring your own iron & hair dryer.  Awesome outside pool !    We had a comfortable and enjoyable stay - we were there 3 weeks between house sale & purchase.  We definitely reccomend this hotel for those on a budget.

• Stayed: August 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Greenbush
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany-East Greenbush
Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany East Greenbush
Comfort Inn And Suites - East Greenbush
Comfort Inn And Suites - East Gr...
#1 of 2 in Castleton On Hudson
Residence Inn Albany East Greenbush/Tech Valley
Holiday Inn Express East Greenbush (Albany - Skyline)
Comfort Inn Albany / Glenmont

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - E Greenbush / Albany? Share your experiences!