“This place is going downhill”

Residence Inn Albany East Greenbush/Tech Valley
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in East Greenbush
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I have reviewed this hotel before but after my recent 10 night stay here, I felt it deserved another review. First, most of the staff here seem to do more "hanging out" in the courtyard smoking than actually working. If you are a non smoker or have children than you will not be able to use the courtyard at all,as it is almost always thick with smoke. For some reason they always have the door that leads from the courtyard to the pool cracked open so the indoor pool area is often filled with cigarette smoke too. If you are a smoker than this might not bother you, but i am not a smoker and I have a child with heart problems who cannot afford to have her oxygen taken away, so to me this is a major issue!
Housekeeping was another problem. We were often without toilet paper and clean towels. They hardly ever changed the garbage when they "cleaned" our room. Most of the time we ended up taking it out ourselves because it was over flowing. Not something we should have to do as hotel guests.
The air conditioning in our room barely worked. Even when it was in the 60's in the morning it was still almost 80 degrees in our room. We were having to open the windows to let cool air in.
Most of the staff was friendly enough, except the staff that handles breakfast and dinner- they are NOT nice at all. There was one woman that worked at the front desk late at night, I wish I would have got her name, she was very sweet and seemed to really care about the hotel guests. She also actually stayed at the desk instead of hanging out in the courtyard all the time like the rest of the staff.
If I were staying at some cheap, side of the highway hotel then I would expect this kind of service/quality but I DON'T expect this from Marriott. This hotel used to be my #1 choice when visiting upstate NY but after my last stay I probably wont be back. It seems like this place is going downhill fast. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank sarah w
Residence Inn T, General Manager at Residence Inn Albany East Greenbush/Tech Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on two separate occasions. I would like to apologize for your negative experience the second time around. Your review is especially disappointing considering that you had some great experiences with us in the past. I can completely understand your frustration. I will personally address our smoking policy with the staff. While they are allowed to take their allotted breaks, certainly none of our non-smoking guests should have to deal with secondhand smoke. I will also speak with housekeeping staff to try to figure out exactly just why and how so many mistakes were made. The things you mentioned are absolutely not acceptable by our standards.

I want to apologize profusely for the inconvenience. As you know, we are capable of doing much better. I hope you are willing to give us another chance the next time you are in the area. I know we can (and will) make your next stay a pleasant one.

Regards,
Maya Soler, General Manager

Reviewed 28 June 2012

My Dh and daughter were traveling to a wedding in Newport, RI and stopped here for the night. It was just off the highway, tucked away in a wooded area. When we pulled in we noticed that crew was hard at work on the flower beds and adding new mulch. Really looked great when we came out later to go to dinner. Our room was the two bedroom with full kitchen. Very nice! We went down for cocktails and snack at Happy Hour 5-7 pm. They also offered a light meal of Chicken BBQ, potato salad, tossed salad and chips. Wine and beer was availible. Nice if you didn't want to go out. We chatted with very friendly desk staff and were recommended to dine nearby at the Sports Grill. It is 3 minutes away in an old Bennigans. Staff said that they have a wonderful patio looking over the city. The food was pretty lame and they were out of stuff, pop was flat, cocktails had to sent back etc. There is no reviews on TA for this place, so I included it here so you are warned.
I would stay here again anytime. Loved it!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We stayed at this location enroute to Vermont because it is pet friendly. We had to travel with our three dogs and they only charged a modest premium. As we certainly didn't want to leave our 2 Labradors and our foxhound mixed breed unattended in the room we had to order out and the staff tipped us off to some really fabulous NY pizza from a pizzeria that delivered. It was an easily accessible but quiet location and lived up to Marriott quality. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ground floor is most convenient.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We've stayed at other Residence Inns before but this one was really nice. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite which was very clean, spacious and tidy. Nice to see a full stove with oven in the room instead of just 2 burners.
When we entered the hotel, we were immediately greeted by a friendly and courteous staff member who checked us in right away. They even had warm home-baked cookies on the counter to welcome guests.
The breakfast area in the lobby, I initially thought was a little small, but after having breakfast there, it still managed to offer everything that a regular sized buffet would offer. What was especially nice were the little touches they had for kids. They had cartoon cups, with lids and windy straws which were great. And once the kids finished their meal, they could go over to the TV area and there were games available, crayons and colouring, etc. I even asked for some blank paper from the front desk which they were happy to give me.
Great hotel and definitely would stay here again. Location was very easy to find too.

Room Tip: Definitely try the cookies at the front desk. The white chocolate, macadamia nut cookies put smiles...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2012

It may be that Marriott has decided to focus its assets on its Courtyard hotels, which have seen considerable improvement in recent times, to the detriment of Residence Inns, which years ago offered the traveler a very nice option that merged a hotel stay with some of the comforts of home. The Residence Inn in East Greenbush, NY, just east of Albany, needs to pay more attention to essential details that make the traveler feel that the Inn cares about his comfort.
We arrived in mid-afternoon, to find bagged trash piled up in a hallway, near an outside door. The same trash, only smellier, was still there later in the evening. The furniture in our room was showing wear, and the desk was turned sideways, showing us its back which was unfinished and adorned with tags and writing. These are not major inconveniences, but they make the visitor feel as though the staff has given up on a quest for quality.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2012

When traveling my wife and I often choose to stay at Residence Inns because we like the roominess they offer as well as having full kitchen facilities.

This Inn is just a short distance from downtown Albany, but in a relatively rural area just to its east. It's quiet and convenient, easy to reach from I-90.

It has a better design than many Residence Inns--there are more rooms closer to entrances and te entrances have more parking spaces near them.

The bed, as usual, is relatively small (the beds seem to be designed for one person's use rather than two). The air conditioning unit in our room was relatively loud (as is sadly typical of such units in most hotel rooms), but it was aimed out at the livingroom/kitchen area and not toward the bed (and that's desirable).

The breakfast better than usual at a Residence Inn. Although the scrambled eggs are almost always lamentably dry, there were fresh strawberries and fresh blueberries and two very good types of muffins.

We found the staff friendly and helpful, both before our arrival and throughout out stay.

Room Tip: Avoid getting a room near the front desk. Parking tends to be a challenge here and at other Residen...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2012

First off, I travel 90% for work, so I know Marriott standards. This place does not live up to the Marriott name.

The person we were told was the "General Manager" was quite rude to us when we asked about an upgrade. When told we could not do the upgrade using our points, we offered to pay for the upgrade. The response was very condescending and rude.

The other staff seem to think the hotel is for their enjoyment as well. A large group of staff members were taking their coffee/smoke break in the patio area I had ASSUMED was for guest use. Apparently I was mistaken. Additionally, during the breakfast time, we frequently saw staff coming in and grabbing breakfast.

At one point, one of the staff members couldn't find plates for the breakfast and began complaining loudly to the front desk staff about how they didn't order enough plates.

The "workout facility" was in very poor shape. All of the "attachments" for the falling-apart nautilus-type machine were missing. The treadmill had a note saying it was out of service. And the water cooler was completely empty which turned out to be okay since there were no cups with it anyways.

Again, if this would have been a Travel Lodge or something else, I would have expected this type of service, but I don't expect it from a Marriott.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank leroybrownisbad
Residence Inn T, General Manager at Residence Inn Albany East Greenbush/Tech Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts on our property. I’m sorry to see that you were disappointed with your stay, but hopefully I will be able to address some of your concerns: Our workout area (as well as some other areas of our property) will actually be getting a facelift, which will include new equipment! We expect these renovations to be completed by summer’s end. Our staff is allowed to take breaks in the courtyard area, but they certainly shouldn’t be congregating or loitering around the property. I will personally look into this matter to see if further action needs to be taken.

As I recall we did in fact offer a room upgrade, but due to our high occupancy, brand standards, and other circumstances, we were not able to meet your specific requests. Please note that we did try our best to accommodate the room upgrade, and we even called Marriott to see if there was any way of working around this very specific issue. Again, I apologize if you were disappointed. Feel free to call me directly if you would like to discuss these issues further.

Maya Soler, General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Greenbush
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany-East Greenbush
Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany East Greenbush
Comfort Inn And Suites - East Greenbush
Comfort Inn And Suites - East Gr...
#1 of 2 in Castleton On Hudson
Holiday Inn Express East Greenbush (Albany - Skyline)
Americas Best Value Inn - E Greenbush / Albany
Hampton Inn & Suites Albany - Downtown

Been to Residence Inn Albany East Greenbush/Tech Valley? Share your experiences!