“Beyond Amazing at The Baker House!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Baker House 1650

The Baker House 1650
Ranked #6 of 12 East Hampton B&B and Inns
New York, New York, United States
“Beyond Amazing at The Baker House!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

If I could give more stars....I would! I can't say enough wonderful things about every element of The Baker House. The house is beautifully appointed, the staff is extremely warm and welcoming, our guest room was beautiful, comfortable, spacious, very quiet, with comfortable linens and Frette towels. While it's located just down the street from the heart of East Hampton, it's tucked away like a secret garden and the staff truly make you feel as though you're staying at a family friends home. The breakfast was incredibly delicious, with several fresh and creative choices daily, along with fresh juice, bagels, cream cheese, fresh fruit, coffee, etc. The spa was an even bigger treat. It's the most special and intimate spa experience I've ever experienced - (and I highly recommend Dawn and Christine!). In addition, the grounds are beautifully maintained, and the pool and lawn are so inviting. My fiancé and I will definitely be making a trip to the Baker house a new tradition! It is such a special place and I'm so glad we learned of it!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the Gardiner room!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Amanda M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

The house itself is very charming,the room was just ok.the noise level from the street is quite annoying but nothing like the pounding on the outside door for 15 minutes at 10:30pm. We were relaxing ,I thought that's what places like this was for! when I phoned the front desk to find out what raucous was about I was told it had something to do with service dogs? I never knew a dog that knocked instead of barking I found the apology weak & insincere. The bathrooms were very inconvenient, not enough space for any appliances etc. Old is charming, but an old distorted mirror is not!

• Stayed September 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Hairguy53
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

My husband and I have stayed at the Baker House once again and we can't think of a better place. The Staff is most welcoming, our bedroom was wonderful with the best linens, wonderful bathroom and the breakfast is a simple treat. We have brought our family from Europe to visit and everyone had a wonderful stay. Don't miss the gorgeous indoor swimming pool, enjoy the best massage (have to book ahead of time) and have breakfast outdoors under the wisteria! Hamptons at its best.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MariaPashby
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We had a great weekend at the Baker House, the service, the design, the breakfast, the location, the architecture and attention to detail was perfect! My favorite part was (except the very comfortable beds) the Spa, with a steam shower, sauna, Jacuzzi, and massage facilities. There is no doubt that I am going back again!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David82NY
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

we juat stayed for the president'.s weekend at the baker house for a romantic weekend away . the inn us impeccably kept - every attention to detail is paid . we were greeted by a lovely young woman who showed us around and took us to our room. the room was lovely but the tv was dissapointing and the bath room was beautiful but the bath tub looked like it had seen better days .
the drawing room with the roaring fire was beautiful warm and inviting . they had every magazine , newspaper that you could think of and available for their guests.

they had a beautiful and delicous breakfast complimentary for their guests. amazing omelettes , french toast , fresh fruit etc. the timing of breakfast was a little late at 8:30 but maybe it is beacuse my husband and i are early birds.

my husband had arranged for me to have a massage and a facial . the massage was fabulous - the baker house has a beautiful spa downstairs . the facial unfortunately i had an off putting experience. i asked her if she had frangrance free - the facialist got very defensive and made me feel uncomfortable . i was a little surprised when i spoke to the hotel - they too were defensive and not very caring about how to make the experience better .
i love getting services at the places we stay at - they can enhance the experience . the massage i adored but was surprised at the negative experience i had with getting the facial ( which ultimately did not happen)

i would highly recommend staying at the baker house - it is like vising an english country home .

Room Tip: ask about which rooms have flat screen tvs and updated bathtubs.
1 Thank suelpc
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

In a number of past trips to heavenly East Hampton over a number of years, I had always wondered about that quaint yet sumptuous inn behind the ivy covered wall, steps out of the village. Recently, I had the fortunate opportunity to check into The Baker House for 3 days. My curiosity quickly turned to wonderment. Staying there was like staying at the home of your very best and very wealthy friend. Truly, it was if I were staying in a sumptuous home. The decor is faithful to the flawless architecture of the grand old structure. Yet, the aura is not stuffy, not unduly formal in the slightest. The grounds, gardens and pools are impeccable yet casual and organic to the locale. On my second day, I took a massage in the Spa, which is in the sub-ground level. It's intimate and private feeling, again like a home-- yet it's all you could want.
I took breakfast there in 2 of my mornings- an easy and gracious presentation of freshest fare- the crepes were incredible! My room overlooked the pool and garden and was truly the warmest, coziest in which I ever stayed. I am planning on copying the bath in my home's forthcoming renovation. Anyway-- if it seems like I cannot say enough great stuff about The Balker House, it's because I can't. It's all about grace and ease there-- rare these days!!!

Room Tip: The rooms in the back, one of which was mine, is probably more quiet- and affords a great view of th...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank terryK58
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

Staying at the Baker House was an almost perfect experience, BUT...there was one big thing that hampered our stay a bit. We stayed in the Fithian Room, which was lovely, except the king bed (2 twins pushed together) was like sleeping on a cement slab. I couldn't believe it. By the time we went home, our backs were broken. I would respectfully advise that the owner spend one full night sleeping in that room, and I can't imagine that he/she would not make an immediate call to the nearest mattress store in the morning to purchase a new one(s). Also, by the third night before we went to dinner I had to go downstairs to speak to someone ask for fresh soap. My husband and I spent 3 days sharing one very tiny square of soap for the shower. The second tiny bar was kept at our sink for washing our hands. By day 3 we were literally using a chip of soap. I've never been in an inn or hotel where the tiny hotel soap is not refreshed everyday. Let alone after 3 days of 2 people sharing it.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
#4 of 12 in East Hampton
The Hedges Inn
The Hedges Inn
#1 of 12 in East Hampton

Been to The Baker House 1650? Share your experiences!