“Nice but very expensive”

The Baker House 1650
Ranked #6 of 12 East Hampton B&B and Inns
istanbul
“Nice but very expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

I am sorry to say that I did not read the comments of tripadviser participents :-(
Yes it is a nice building , nice environment but the money they charge is definetely
Does not justify ! East Hampton and its environment is very good but you do not need
To pay this much for such an Hotel .
Only the Breakfast they serve was really good , next time I will stay in another Hotel
And go there just for Breakfast ;-)

Room Tip: Make sure NOT to stay in rooms facing the highway !
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Vedat A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

I checked in to room 13 to find I am on the highway called Main Street , the noise was like living over the FDR drive in NYC. The other issue the staff could care less and at $840 a night totally unacceptable . Save your money and go to Nantucket , same price better service and location

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Coxp42
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

My wife and I just stayed at the Baker House this month for a special occasion. While the “street noise” mentioned by numerous reviewers in the main building wasn't an issue for us as we stayed in the Carriage House, the sound of non-stop landscaping was. The Carriage House, which is located away from the street and sits in the back of the property, is surrounded on all sides by beautiful grounds. Unfortunately, enjoying such and relaxing by the pool was made impossible by the continual sounds of gas-powered lawn mowers and hedge trimmers from the time we checked-in to dark. How bad could have it been? Well, in response to an email bringing this to the property owner’s attention, the manager wrote “I understand what you are saying because those of us who work at The Baker House 1650 had difficulty hearing on the telephone because of the noise generated by our gardener.” Hard to believe, but the manager then wrote, “It is a tough situation because the grass must be maintained and there will always be a guest who will be impacted”.

And forget about sleeping in, the neighbors landscapers are equally energetic but early birds.

Although I never wrote one of these reviews before, I thought this was an experience worth sharing.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Seth_NY
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Baker House for our honeymoon after getting married in NYC. This bed and breakfast is amazing - the furnishings and décor are really luxurious, you are given L'occitane products in the bathrooms and the garden and pool area is so relaxing. The location is excellent - a short walk into East Hampton where there are lovely boutique shops, bars and restaurants.

The breakfasts are incredible! Freshly baked muffins are laid out every day as well as fresh fruit. A friendly waitress then offers you the specials, typically French toast, pancakes or frittatas.

The hotel is about a 15 minute walk to the beach. We were there after Labor Day and it was very quiet and peaceful.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mary M
blue point, ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

When my husband and I were looking for a night away without our four children, we began the search by asking friends for their recommendations and looking online. We quickly discovered that no two people recommended the same place and it seemed overwhelming, that was, until someone mentioned Baker House 1650. I fell in love with their website and was practically drooling over the lovely photos. We decided to book it and it was a great decision! What we wanted was an Inn that catered to a luxurious experience and not something that had community dining and socializing. From the moment we arrived, we loved every detail of Baker House from the gardens to the furnishings and the warm staff.

We loved our room from the wood burning fireplace to the claw foot tub to the private alcove balcony. They also did a lovely turndown service complete with chocolates and replaced our log in the fireplace with a fresh one. Our mattress and linens were so comfortable. The next morning, our breakfast experience was excellent. They had a wonderful array of fruit, yogurt, etc and then the chef gave us our breakfast choice then made it to order. The breakfast room was set up like a cafe with tables for two. After breakfast, we explored the spa. The pool was warm and delicious and the sauna was roomy. It was a perfect experience and we will be dreaming of it until we can return again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank boymama
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Baker House for my 40th birthday. It is a beautiful property and I found it clean and well-appointed but alas I would never return. Our room was at the front of the house (Huntting) and the noise from rt.27 was deafening. Dump truck after dump truck late into the evening. After a sleepless night I tried to take a midday nap which was impossible because the motor for the central vaccum system was just on the other side of the wall at the head of the bed! When I asked to be moved to another room I was told they were booked- yet there was only one other car in the parking lot, and we only saw two other couples during our entire stay.
The staff was a little snippy and aloof. They might have comped a drink or two for the endless vacuum noise (they were doing repair work in the room across the hallway) just to acknowledge the inconvenience, but they did not. I was unimpressed by the breakfast as well- the website mentions crepes, but these were not offered. It's a lovely property, but fell well short of the top-tier experience I was expecting.

Room Tip: At the back of the House!!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank bhein
Oyster Bay, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a lovely stay at the Baker House 1650 in East Hampton. The Baker House is a beautiful structure with lovely grounds and, while it is located on the main road, once inside its walls you find yourself in a mini oasis. While all the rooms and public areas are well maintained and beautifully appointed, there is a homey feeling that emanates from the surroundings and the staff, which we really enjoyed. The management at the Baker House have thought of every possible need or desire a guest might have while staying with them; there is a multitude of books and magazines displayed throughout the house and in individual rooms, and a well stocked and eclectic dvd selection is available as well. The breakfast was absolutely delicious and oh so fresh. There are warm selections offered daily, as well as fresh fruit, breads, cereals and yogurts. There is a well stocked honor bar in addition to the well priced mini bar in the room, and self-serve coffee and tea are available all day and night.
The guest rooms were very clean and well-maintained and the service was impeccable. While we did not need these services during our stay, the staff were very helpful if dinner reservations were needed and they do supply beach passes, towels, etc in the summer season.
In short, our first stay at the Baker House was a truly relaxing experience and we look forward to returning again soon, I especially hope to make use of the spa which looked very inviting as well.

Room Tip: The Tyler room is a beautiful room located at the front of the house, other reviewers have complaine...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
East Hampton Art House Bed and Breakfast
The Hedges Inn
The Hedges Inn
#1 of 12 in East Hampton

Been to The Baker House 1650? Share your experiences!