“Very nice place to stay”
Review of The Hedges Inn

The Hedges Inn
Ranked #1 of 12 East Hampton B&B and Inns
Oak Beach, New York
“Very nice place to stay”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Before we arrived I inquired about where to have dinner. I was told a few places to try, but was not offered any help to try to obtain reservations. You would think they would have a little pull, more than I would. I happened to notice on the table in the lobby menus and a note that they would be happy to make a reservation for you. Maybe the staff should read that. When we arrived we checked in and the young man behind the desk(aka small pony tail boy as we named him) did not even offer to help with the luggage. Be aware you have to lug from the parking lot up two to three flights of stairs. The room was very clean and nice, just fine for a weekend. They do provide water in the room, but you keep the same old bottle for three nights We asked the same young man if he could get us a taxi for dinner. When we came down the place was locked up tight and we were on our own. The walls are thin and you can hear everyone coming and going(doors slamming) but it is an old hotel. Unfortunately for us we had the same young man for our waiter for breakfast. As others have said there is no choice for breakfasst We asked if we could just have a plain egg and was told no. The gourmet meal they were offering was way too heavy for breakfast. We ended up with the fruit. I am glad I brought my own tea as the selection in the dining room was never refilled. This may seem nitpicky but for 800.00 a night you have some expectations. We heard rumors of the famous Ann but did not meet her until the last day. To her defense she said she was out sick a few days. When we did go to breakfast the next day she made us plain eggs. Seems if she is not there things dont go as smoothly. The location is great, one way town, one way beach and they do have beach towels in the room. Overall a few tweaks and this place would rate at the top.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank THECURCIOS
TheHedgesInn, Manager at The Hedges Inn, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Our morning breakfast buffet of chilled juices, fresh cut fruit, Greek yogurt, homemade granola, fresh garden berries, pastries, muffins and fresh breads usually offers something for most all of our guests not interested in trying our special breakfast of the day. We are not a restaurant but a special bed and breakfast taking breakfast a notch above the ordinary fare that can be had at any place, anytime. I am happy after contacting you personally that you wrote back to me "we were not that unhappy with our stay" as I thought you review implied otherwise. New water bottles are placed in the rooms daily but being aware of the environment our housekeeping staff is instructed not to toss out personal closed water bottles that are left bedside if they are more than half full. In addressing the door slamming all I can say is that it is not a reflection of the inn but of an inconsiderate guest down the hall. Thank you for your email of kind words and we do look forward to your return to The Hedges Inn. All the best, Ann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
NYC
Reviewed 19 August 2012

The hotel is unimpressive and extremely overpriced for $800/night. The room and bathroom were tiny. It was clean and neat but nothing special. One of us had to sit in the bed or otherwise sit at the desk since there was only one comfy chair. The chocolate covered almonds by the bed were a nice treat when we arrived. The walls are thin and I could hear another room's television and every person who walked down the hallway. The bath products are Bulgari which I personally, find too fragrant.

The staff leaves about 7 pm so we needed to take our key with us to enter the Inn at night. That meant that we could not get a drink or snack when we arrived back at the Inn. There is no fruit or drinks available. There was also no turn-down service.

The location is unbelievable. The Inn is walking distance to town and the beach. There is no pool.

The breakfast was nothing special and pretty unhealthy with tons of pastries despite the front desk clerk telling us that it was the best in town. There was fruit and yogurt but no bread, cheese or made to order eggs. The server was awol. One guest was rudely screaming for assistance to obtain a beach pass and shockingly, no one was around to help her. The "special" breakfast was a half a potato with a soft boiled egg, bacon and sauce which was unimpressive and heavy for a beach location. Who wants to put on a bathing suit after eating that? When we asked if there was anything else available, we were told no. Then we heard there was pancakes. When we inquired, we were told that was dessert... We couldn't get plain eggs since the "special" was pre-made. The plates were tiny which seemed to discourage taking too much fruit. I left hungry.

I expect a lot more in terms of amenities and service if an Inn is going to charge $800 even in the Hamptons.

Room Tip: As far away from the steps as possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Intrepidtraveler53
TheHedgesInn, Manager at The Hedges Inn, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Our rooms prices begin at half that rate and we are glad you choose one of our loveliest rooms. The almonds are a personal favorite of mine which I added this year so I am glad to hear you noticed them!

I realize that many people do not understand that staying at a B&B differs from a stay at a resort. This is like having a room upstairs in your own home in the Hamptons, having use of all the common areas (except the kitchen) and taking your key to come home is just part of the fun of it. The office does call it a day after 12 hours but the staff never leaves because, well, I live here! Soda's, water and cocktails are available throughout the day and early evening at the big bar in the center of the inn...you just have to ask!

The Saturday you are referring to I was down with a bug but I was aware of certain guests in house. While our staff does their very best to accomodate everyone some people have no patience and think their demands should be met instantaneously and are unwilling to accept that while try as we may, we can each do only one thing at a time and it may be assisting the person before them, well, before them!

I am not quite clear about the complaint that there was no bread, cheese or made to order eggs but our specialty breakfast was too heavy...OK! To each their own. We get that The Hedges Inn may not be a perfect fit for everyone and hope that you will have safe and wonderful travels wherever you may stay!
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Let me just start by saying that from check-in to check-out my stay could not have been better! This was my second stay and I brought up two friends. Ann and her staff went out of their way to make it a memorable one. The rooms we adorable, the breakfast was outstanding and they made sure to give us beach chairs, towels, basket and beach parking pass (although the inn is close enough to walk to the beach). I have stayed in other inns in the area but this surpasses them all! I'll be back again and again. It's like having your own place in the Hamptons!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Isn't it funny how we try to treat everyone the same - special; but what each person brings with them carries over into how they perceive their stay! The bright smiles, laughter and joy you and your friends brought with you made you the perfect fit for a stay at The Hedges Inn. Being the only authentic 1850's original boarding house in EH we think the rooms are adorable too! We are glad you found the breakfasts outstanding since we didn't see anything but empty plates! Thank you so much for being here, thank you for the positive attitude and the gracious spirit you bring to the table and please come to see us again real soon, the pleasure was ours!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 August 2012

What a great place to stay! The rooms are filled with all the conveniences one would want including a basket filled with beach towels and drinks for our use. The bed was heavenly. The bathroom is spotless and Hampton chic, with beautiful fixtures and basket weave tile on the floors. The breakfast is superb. We had prosciutto wrapped eggs (!) and bananas foster waffles. Wow! When you exit the Inn, a left turn takes you on a picturesque walk to the beach. To the right, a short historic walk finds you among a great variety of shops and restaurants. But the real gem of the Inn is Ann herself. Hospitable, funny, informative, and most of all - warm and welcoming. Where ever she is, her guests will be happy!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
It is so fun to see those new French woven baskets out and about in town and at the beach on the arms of our guests! I am happy to know as a guest you enjoyed having them avialable to you. I am delighted you enjoyed our specialty breakfast so much and will have something new for you when you return. Our location is pretty terrific that is for certain and we are happy to know the easy access to town and beaches made it worthwhile.I thank you very much for your kinds words. You are always welcome here at The Hegdes but I think you know that already.
Reviewed 30 July 2012

ANN made our stay the best- the inn has a great location. breakfast was great . close to everything. We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. East hampton has much to do during the day and in the evening

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
TheHedgesInn, Manager at The Hedges Inn, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
As the new innkeeper this year it is especially rewarding to receive such a review from a long time past guest of The Hedges Inn! I am sincerely honored. Thank you so much for continuing to make us your home in the Hamptons and we'll count on seeing you here at The Hedges next year too! It was a joy having you in the house. All my best, Ann
Wellesley, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 17 July 2012

My daughter and I recently enjoyed a quiet, three-night mid-week stay at this lovely property. Ann is one of the friendliest hostesses I have encountered in my travels and made our entire time there very enjoyable. The rooms had all been beautifully renovated, and we were particularly grateful for the quiet and efficient air conditioning, given the 90 degree+ heat we had every day! The breakfasts were absolutely delicious and definitely gourmet. We ate on the late side every morning and had no need for lunch. For our outings to the beach Ann kindly provided us with beach chairs, towels, an umbrella, a beach bag, a cooler with cold water bottles and a parking pass for all town beaches. We didn't have to supply anything ourselves! Although the room prices are steep, it was high season and we did not want for anything. I highly recommend it if you're willing to splurge.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank annemariet94
Sometimes I have to pinch myself with how luckily we are at The Hedges Inn to attract such lovely guests. It seems our guests enjoy the fact we are a true B&B and not pretending to be anything else! To be able to offer a lovely room, a special breakfast and a place to call home for a few days in the Hampton's, well, that makes us happy so it is terrific to know that's exactly what is making our guests happy too! Thank you for your kind words and come back soon. All my best wishes, Ann.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 July 2012

This was my wife and my first trip to the Hamptons and the first time to stay at a bed and breakfast. The experience was great. Ann the Inn keeper was a super host and made fabulous three course gourmet breakfasts. The Inn was very clean and well maintained. Its location 5 minute walk from downtown E. Hampton and 5 minute walk to the beach was also ideal. Parking passes to the beach parking area and chairs towels and an umbrella were all unexpected perks. I definitely would stay there again. It my opinion the cost per night is a good value in comparison to other beach town's we have stayed.

Room Tip: All rooms in the Inn are comparable; a larger size means you pay more.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Daniel D
, Manager at The Hedges Inn, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
Well nothing could be better than a first time great experience in the Hampton's! We are proud we were a part of that equation and hope we will be part of your second visit too! Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us but also to mention such great info for other prospective guests to read and know. All my best,

Ann
#3 of 39 in Montauk
Kenny's Tipperary Inn
Kenny's Tipperary Inn
#5 of 39 in Montauk

Been to The Hedges Inn? Share your experiences!