“Go elsewhere”
Review of The 1770 House

The 1770 House
Ranked #4 of 11 East Hampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This was our first trip to the Hamptons and I couldn't wait to get to East Hampton. We have stayed at B&Bs before and they've always been wonderful. I don't even know where to begin as there was so much about this place that disappointed us. We were charged $730 plus tax for Room #6, which I believe was the Garden Room. Yes, way too expensive but when we booked in the springtime, this was one of the only decent places I could find under $850. Due to the expense, I was expecting something really fantastic. First, the parking lot was extremely tiny. The capacity is maybe eight cars and that's squeezing them in. The signs to the reception were not clearly marked, but we found the front desk. A guy checked us in and quickly walked us right to our room and immediately left. He didn't give us a tour or tell us about the home, nothing. We walked into the tiniest bedroom/bathroom we've ever been in. Add our luggage and there was hardly room to move. Our "garden room" had no privacy whatsoever. Right outside our room was a walkway that led employees and customers from the parking lot to the inside/outside of the B&B's restaurant. That's another downfall. This place has a restaurant on site. In fact, it's obvious that the main focus is the restaurant and the B&B is an after thought. We felt like all the attention is given to the restaurant, rather than the guests staying in the rooms. While in our room, all blinds except one had to be shut, or else anyone walking by could look right in. So, we were in a tiny room with the blinds closed. At night, there were dining guests right outside our window. Not my idea of a beautiful stay in an expensive bed and breakfast. My husband took a shower and the drain was clogged. Not a minor clog, but one that was above our ankles by the time we stepped out of the shower. It was disgusting. The next morning after breakfast (which I will get to) we informed the desk about the clog. The same guy (won't mention names) that checked us in assured us it would be fixed. We went on our way and returned to our room that evening. Seeing that housekeeping had been there, she left no toilet paper...none. In fact, she took the little bit that had been left in the holder. We marched back up to the front desk in our daytime casual clothes. Walking through the fancy restaurant with dining customers all dressed up. We picked up the toilet paper and I also asked if they addressed the clogged drain. They had not. We walked back through the fancy restaurant with our three rolls of toilet paper followed by a maintenance man and Drano. When we go to B&Bs, the breakfasts are ALWAYS fantastic, in fact most places take great pride in their breakfast. This place has the same menu everyday and it's as basic as you can get. It was a huge letdown. Eggs, omelets, French toast or pancakes with a few side selections like bacon and hash browns. Other place we've been to also offer evenings or afternoon tea. Not this place. I called in advance to say we eat gluten free. The first morning, they had bread for us and the chef went out of his way to make a special French toast for my husband. I ordered an omelet and it was the worst omelet I've ever had. Very oily and I think they only used egg whites which I did not order. I didn't eat it. The second morning, it must have been a different chef because he couldn't find our gluten free bread in the kitchen. Since I didn't care for the omelet, my only choice was the gluten free French toast and for $730 per night, we intended to eat breakfast! We got to breakfast at 9:30 that morning. They sent someone out to get our bread and we sat for over an hour waiting for breakfast. What a miserable time it was! Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that when we arrived home from dinner the second night, there was nowhere for us to park. We had to leave our keys at the front desk so they could move our cars after their "dining" customers left the parking lot that is to be reserved for overnight guests. They said they deal with that on a daily basis. When we checked out, the Innkeeper took $50 off our bill due to the breakfast fiasco and clogged drain situation. From our experience, bed and breakfasts are places you go to relax and unwind. You can sit in various rooms or outside and freely roam amongst the inn. This place is not that at all. When you walk inside, you are immediately running into servers and staff due to the restaurant and all they offer is one sitting room in which I don't think they want people actually sitting in there! Although East Hampton was lovely and we made the best of our time there, this place certainly put a damper on our short and expensive vacation. I strongly advise anyone reading this to stay elsewhere. I read the negative comments on this B&B, but decided on it only due to cost since I booked so late. What a huge mistake that was. Check out other Trip Advisor reviews, book early and choose wisely.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank danielle m
1770HouseManagement, General Manager at The 1770 House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Please accept my apology for your experience at The 1770 House. The Inn and the restaurant are equally important. We want our Inn guests to feel welcome and comfortable during their stay, as much as we want restaurant guests to enjoy a delicious meal with top notch service. Your comments are important to us. I hope that if you travel to East Hampton in the future, you will give us the opportunity to roll out the red carpet for you and see how we have improved.

Carol Covell, Manager

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Had dinner last week
Foie gras fantastic
Chicken moist and perfect
Desserts great
Dining room upstairs cozy and inviting
Staff and service so professional
Great time
Our favorite place to dine and a great prix fixe if you are looking for great value.
Delicious coffee to end the meal

• Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for the wonderful and positive feedback! I hope you'll return soon.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

The Inn is truly charming with delicious food and appointments. The dining room is so cozy that one could settle in that space for the day;I totally agree that Randye is the star of the Inn.She is so friendly and very helpful as to day planning. We reserved room 1 at the top of the stairs. Very cheerful during the day and cozy at night with the fireplace a great addition. Bathroom was huge and very up to date for a B&B.The only negative was that we went out to dinner to find no parking space in the inn's lot when we returned. We did street park but car needed to be moved once a space opened in the lot.The Inn should post the lot as"inn residents only".
Grounds are lovely and planter flowers beautiful. Much attention to detail throughout.
Would definitely stay again.Also no elevator so suitcases should be lightweight , a favor to whomever carries it upstairs!

Room Tip: Room1 a very good choice but there is street traffic noise.Did not disturb us however.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kathy1725raintree
1770HouseManagement, Manager at The 1770 House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for the taking the time to write about your stay at The 1770 House. We appreciate your kind words about Randye and the property.
We apologize you were inconvenienced by the lack of parking spaces. There are two signs, one at each side of the driveway entrance "Hotel Guest Parking Only". We want the Inn guests to have priority parking and are working on solutions so this doesn't happen again in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We found this charming inn to be full of wonderful attention to detail and warm friendly staff. Innkeeper Randye will make your stay memorable and has great suggestions on activities, maps and restaurants in the area. The rooms are appointed with the highest end products, from Moulton & Brown bath products to Frette sheets, towels and robes. You can tell when an Inn or hotel does the little things right, and 1770 House delivers. The room was lovely, and the Tavern for dinner was a cozy retreat with inventive dishes. You would not go wrong by staying at 1770 House. This is the B&B Inn experience that everyone should have.

Room Tip: All the rooms are wonderfully appointed.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter S
1770HouseManagement, General Manager at The 1770 House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for your kind review. Your compliments of both the staff and The 1770 House are appreciated.

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

If you don't go to this wonderful Inn you will be making a mistake. It's the vert best in comfort , cuisine and historic luxury. Randye the Innkeeper is nothing short of amazing. I wanted to take her home I'm sure you will be reading many posts about this Inn It's just what the doctor ordered for rest and relaxation It's a true gem.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen S
1770HouseManagement, Manager at The 1770 House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Stephen,
Thank you for the kind words on Trip Advisor about The 1770 House and our innkeeper, Randye.
We are so pleased to read that you were well taken care of during your stay.
We hope we will see you again in the future.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I can't say enough about this inn. I took my wife of 36 years for something different. I have NEVER been a B & B person. Four seasons is more my style. I would probably never go in the summer (anti Hampton crowd) but I will definitely be back. The place is old, hence 1770 house, but our room was plenty for a loving couple. We were surrounded by snow but the gas fireplace in the room made for a very romantic 2 night stay. Breakfast was complimentary, great coffee, dinner in the main restaurant or the tavern downstairs. We had salmon, world renowned meatloaf, cod, chicken, pork roast and my favorite veggies. They wine list was pretty good. They took care of my car, had roses in the room at my request, Randye gave us maps, tips and sent us to a refuge where the deer and birds ate out of your hand. My wife couldn't stop smiling and it renewed that intense love we have held for 40 years together. It is perfect in the winter so go now because tomorrow never comes. Its not inexpensive but quite a relaxing and renewing experience.

Room Tip: Go off season and get the fireplace room
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank truthintravel60763

Dear Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor a wonderful review of your stay with us at The 1770 House.
Thank you for the compliments about the restaurant(s).
We hope you'll consider The 1770 House next time you're in East Hampton and we look forward to greeting you.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

From start to finish dealing with Randye, the innkeeper, was a pure delight. Friendly, helpful and funny, she made us feel like old friends from the first phone call inquiry. When there was confusion regarding our reservation, she went out of her way to personally call from home-on her day off- to quickly clarify.
The location could not have been better. A 5 minute stroll to the town with its great shops and restaurants and a 1/2 mile walk through some of the most pristine neighborhoods to the beach.
Our immaculate room was lovely with soft pillows and linens, complimentary Frette robes and slippers and flat screen tv. The gorgeous marbled bath had the MOST decadent rain shower with great pressure and warmth. Complimentary Molten Brown bath products were also available.
One of the highlights was the delicious breakfast included in the rate. What a pleasure it was to relax with our choice of Sunday papers and steaming hot coffee and milk.
I would love to return to the inn in the very near future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
East Hampton Art House Bed and Breakfast
The Maidstone Hotel
The Maidstone Hotel
#5 of 11 in East Hampton

Been to The 1770 House? Share your experiences!