“Great sunset but poor service”
Review of Bay Kitchen Bar

Bay Kitchen Bar
Ranked #12 of 67 Restaurants in East Hampton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
New York City, New York
“Great sunset but poor service”
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Location is great and the view fantastic. Restaurant looks nice. Food was ok but needed more flavor. Hostess was nice but the waiter was bad.
Food: Enjoyed the tuna ceviche but the striped bass ceviche needed more seasoning. The tuna and steak entrees were ok but again needed some salt and pepper. The strawberry shortcake was good but need a few more strawberries.
Service: Table was nice but the server forgot my wine and did not ask my husband if he wanted a refill of his drink. He schmoozed with some people whole ignoring others. Worst was when he gave us the drink menu thinking it was the desert menu and not bothering to ask if we wanted more coffee. If he really wanted us out, then he should have made sure all ran smoothly. Attention to detail is important - too bad - it really just passes with 2.5 stars

“What a view”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I had been here years earlier when it was Bostwicks which was awesome.
The view of the sun setting is breathtaking .That alone is worth a visit. The food not so awesome.
Our dinner came out before the appetizers not a good start.
When I complained the manager did come over apologized and offered to buy us dessert.
I had ordered the Fishcake and when it came it was definitely worth the wait and very delicious filled with a lot of fish.
The salad was also ordered but it was just okay
The fishcakes order was so big that I decided that would be my dinner.
Scallops were also ordered and they proved to be also delicious tender and juicy.
We did save room for dessert which was a strawberry shortcake that was just okay a lot of cake and not much strawberries.
The other dessert was the brownie sundae which was nothing special.
I would definitely go back for drinks and appetizers on the porch which overlooks the water and call it a day.

New York City
“The view cannot compensate”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

It was only a few weeks ago that the New York Times gave this place a rave review. With renewed interest, a friend of mine and I decided to go one night and see for ourselves what all the hoopla was about. For the New York Times, to write such a raving review in such a short period of time, after its opening, puzzled me. For years I have read the restaurant reviews with great interest and many reviewers have come and gone, but it always takes some time as these reviewers will go back a few more times to see if consistency, among other items exists. What a disappointment, what a flop! Seated at a douce, two people, the very large plate with frozen ice and 6 oysters took up half the table. There was no room for the other dishes we had ordered, such as a side order of luke warm French fries. The table had to be partly cleared to make room for our main courses. The plate with the frozen ice was outright dirty and with black spots on top of it from its many reuses. This is not particularly hygienic. No bread or water was offered. We took our drink from the bar to the table. No additional drinks, no wine was offered at any time during our meal. Dessert was a key lime tart and so old. By tasting one bite, I could tell it was at least a week old, so we left it further untouched. My friend asked the waitress about the name of the dessert and she apologized for not knowing what it was. I have the habit of checking the bathrooms first when visiting a restaurant for the first time, as it truly is the business card of the establishment and will tell you everything about the cleanliness, including the kitchens ! I found it clean at first, but as the evening progressed, no attention was further given to that so very important issue. I usually don't stay and refrain from dining. It seems to me that the New York Times criteria have changed drastically and dramatically of what we once knew.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank JWNewYorkCity
New York City, New York
“Great location, dreadful food”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This place is very popular, and deservingly so because of its location with fine sunset views. Previous restaurants in this building have been short lived though, probably because their delivery has been inconsistent and unfortunately despite early rave reviews Bay Kitchen is following ots predecessors.
The desk staff and servers are enthusiastic and attentive. Waiters and busboys, though keen do not seem very experienced or slick (table going uncleared, dirty glasses left, spilled debris unwired).
The real let-down though is the food. It was simply inedible. A starter of shrimp cocktail comprsed barely defrosted bare shrimp on ice accompanied by, 5 minutes later, three thin dipping sauces. Bass cervice was fishy and acidic. A main course burger was mediocre with a tang of burned fat and an order of sea bass was served translucent and sticking to the bone. When sent back, the same piece of fish was returned floating in olive oil, having apparently had a visit to the microwave.
It is a fact that popular restaurants in the Hamptons can get remain fully booked despite poor service and appalling food. It is always disappointing though to see this so brutally proven.
Great location (which will keep it full), keen if unprofessional service, but the food... ugh. The good news is that there are now several restaurants in the area who truly do care about delivering quality food.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Richard K
Hopewell, New Jersey
“Totally on point.”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Food A+, oysters, lobster roll, soft shell crab and my daughter even had a large, juicy, tasty burger. Cocktails are splendid. Service was slow to get started but friends and it got better. Hurry up while you can still get a table.

Visited July 2014