“Outstanding”

Ranked #5 of 12 East Hampton B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 26 March 2013

This was our second stay, and my partner surprised me so I was over the moon when we pulled up.

I travel a lot for my work and have stayed in many high end hotels and know I am picky as a result of being spoiled at many.

First things first the welcome is outstanding and the staff really make you feel like you are welcome and it's clear they genuinely care about their guests. Our room was in the main house and reading some of the past reviews from people who don't like old windows or slightly slanting floors made me think that you really need to embrace this is a historical building so that's part of the charm. Give me that any day over a souless new build. The bed is great and I loved the quirky design of the room.

We had dinner in the restaurant and also enjoyed a game of scrabble by the fireplace. It's not cheap, but then nothing in the Hamptons is.

The stay was too short one night, and I so enjoyed it I might just surprise my partner back and return there during Spring Break!

Room Tip: I love the Orange room purely as it has a cool seating area as well as the room space. It faces out...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OctM
SophieHindmarsh, General Manager at The Maidstone Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Thank you for your words, you made our day! Hope to see you soon again and wish you a wonderful Easter
Sophie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Reviewed 22 March 2013

We stayed in this great hotel for a conference for three nights. It was a dream, great food and wine, very friendly staff and GMs and comfy beads. The rooms are all different designs, i stayed in the Karen Blixen room and I will ask for this room next time as well. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Beathen
SophieHindmarsh, General Manager at The Maidstone Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
It was such a pleasure to have you here with us! Thank you so much for writing about your experience. I hope we will see you and your team again soon again. I am also happy that you liked the Karen Blixen room, it is really one of my own favorites; good size, quiet and with a nice bathroom.
Ireland
Reviewed 18 March 2013

There are many positive aspects to the Maidstone - friendly welcome, nice cozy layout (particularly for families), individually decorated rooms but we will remember our stay for the artic temperatures of the bedroom, restaurant and particularly bathroom!

The wind blowing through the patheticly designed and ill-fitted windows and down the chimney made it feel like we were at sea! The heating system blew a tepid breath of wind back at the incoming assault but its efforts just weren't up to the job. The bathroom was only accessible to the brave for brief periods in robes! We even had to run the shower for 10mins in the morning just to take the chill out of the air.

The restaurant temperature wasn't much better with many guests wearing coats and scarves. Although some near the open fires were probably baking!

We ate both nights of our stay and the food is above average. The menu is a little limited and our desserts of choice weren't available on both nights. But there was a large local clientele which bodes well for the place.

A little Sweedish inginunity wouldn't go amiss in upgrading the windows and/or heating system or even a cheap length of draft excluder in the 1/2" gap around the exposed window frames would possibly go some way to reduce the chilly draft. I doubt that this would be accepted in any of the Maidstone's sister hotels in Stockholm so why should it be here?

As well as the cold outside, these windows do little to attenuate the traffic noise from the busy road outside.

There are many positives as mentioned but probably best not to stay until summer and then at a room away from the traffic noise.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank GaryD68
SophieHindmarsh, General Manager at The Maidstone Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Dear Mr D,
It was a pleasure having you, your wife and your baby as our guests for the past 2 nights, but when reading your review I feel a bit puzzled and actually surprised.

What is puzzeling is not that you have written about us, that is always highly appreciated, but rather that you didn't mention anything to us about the lack of heat you are describing. You didn't ask us to have a look at it, you didn't ask for extra blankets, you didn't ask for an extra heater (yes, we do have both extra heaters and extra coolers since we all are different), and you didn't ask if we had another room. Finally, upon checking out, you mentioned in bypassing the lack of heat, but did not ask for any kind of compensation, which we of course gave you anyway.

Why suffer for 2 nights first? I feel horrible knowing that you all were so cold and it could easily have been avoided.

You are correct in that we do have old windows; that comes with the historic building. I wouldn't call them pathetically designed, perhaps old and not very efficient (and yes, high heating/cooling costs comes with it.)

But in your room the temperature at the time of your departure was 72 both in bathroom and bedroom. I am happy about that, since it means the system is working, but next time you are visiting us we will raise the temperature to 74 in your room and give you a room facing the garden - I think you would like the Edvard Munch, which is also one of the rooms where we sadly had to replace the old charming windows with new ones.

I am also happy to hear that you felt welcomed, liked the Scandinavian cozy style, and found that our food was above average.

Kindest Regards
Copiague, New York
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We recently went to the Maidstone's Living Room restaurant for our anniversary. First, we were greeted warmly by Leon our bartender/waiter. He was delightful and very attentive. After wonderful drinks at the bar, we were seated by the fire and had the most delicious meal. Although it is not inexpensive, we felt it was worth the cost. From beginning to end, this establishment is first class.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
CareOf H, General Manager at The Maidstone Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your dinner with us and that you took the time to write about it. We all hope to see you soon again

Kindest
Reviewed 21 January 2013 via mobile

These folks actually listen. Sophie, Adam and the staff are terrific.They get the solving the cranky customer service thing! Food at the Living Room restaurant is excellent. Best barman, Henri, on the east end. Hey, there are no bargains at the top hostelries in East Hampton but this is a very good bet! Wes

• Stayed January 2013
CareOf H, General Manager at The Maidstone Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Dear Wes,
we so enjoyed having the two of you here! Thank you for your kind words even though we had the "mess" we had. We all highly appreciated your understanding - and a lesson is learnt. G will never forget you (in a positive way) We hope to see you both again.
Stay warm in the cold
Sophie
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 October 2012

We were over from Switzerland for a friend's 40th for 4 nights in Sept 2012. After an inauspicious start, with a lukewarm welcome at 23.30 after a 16 hour trip, we were underwhelmed. Not even shown to our cottage in the grounds, let alone helped with bags and baby clobber, for the cost and hype we expected a lot more. A beer or glass of champagne would have been a welcome touch.

Things looked up though at breakfast the next morning where the staff were delightful without being over attentive and the food was very good, even if $80 for coffee, fruit juice and eggs for 2 seems a bit steep.

We did love the cottage - Linne, small but perfectly formed - room for us and our baby and no other disturbances. Dinner was superb and the service again very good. The wine from the North fork as recommended by the sommelier was delicious.

Given it was our first trip to the Hamptons we accepted the cost but given that we live in the most expensive country - and city - in the world, Zurich, Switzerland, we could have had a junior suite, with breakfast, in the Widder Hotel for 5 nights for the price of 4 here. That is quite an eye opener.

I doubt there is anywhere significantly nicer nearby and our friends that live here agree about the front desk service; this place is lovely and worth a visit but push for a deal, it worked out, with service and sales tax (which we will never come to terms with) as $1000 a night...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Muzza668
Ann Arbor MI
Reviewed 26 August 2012

c/o The Maidstone charges breathtaking prices in the summer -- In our case, more than $800 per night with a three night minimum. Our room, described on the website as the "ELIEL & EERO SAARINEN SUITE" was not a suite. It was a long and narrow single room, sadly furnished in 1960s vintage furniture. The "living room" described on the website was a sofa bed, sitting in the middle of the room, next to the bed. The not-a-suite was a third floor walkup, and because the victorian house the hotel is in has foundation problems, the floor slanted markedly. There were insects crawling on the wall behind the bed. The location is off route 28, about a 20 minute walk from town. The bed was comfortable; the food was very good (though also very expensive); the service was prompt and friendly. If I had paid $150 per night for the room, I would have been mildly pleased. The high prices and the misrepresentation of the nature of the room, though, persuade me not to return here, and not to recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank TokyoVisitor
CareOf H, General Manager at The Maidstone Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Dear TokyoVisitor,

I am happy to hear that you liked our service, the restaurant and the food since that is 50% of what we are here at c/o The Maidstone.

You are absolutely right, the room should not have the name Suite included since it is just one room. Even if it is quite big, with a sitting area with sofa, coffe table and reading chair, books and plants as we think a living room should have. I am sorry that you dont like the decor but that is the style that goes with Finnish American father and son Saarinen. We always encourage our guests to look at the website since no room is alike - for example if you dislike orange you will be very unhappy in the Verner Phanton Room or vice versa if you do like orange.

Regarding insects, I am not sure what kind you are referring to and I am sorry you didn't tell us so we could tend to it. The only way insects can come in is throug the windows when those are opened by houskeeping or by guests. Theese days we and most hotels I know, are very caucious and do no like to use pesticieds unless absolutley necessary.

I do wish that you would come back to us and we could pick a room that fits your taste, maybe on one of our packages where we offer Afternoon tea, a massage, dinner and breakfast in the slow season for a good price.

However, bear in mind that the floors will still be slanted in some parts of the hotel...

Kindest Regards
The Hedges Inn
The Hedges Inn
#1 of 12 in East Hampton
East Hampton Art House Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Maidstone Hotel? Share your experiences!