“Excellent service but very quite”

The Maidstone Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 East Hampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This was the second time we went in 2 years. Last year was lively on a weekend and this time was a typical Hamptons Mobday. Very quite. However the waiter, a very tall guy was very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. We had a great evening after the crazy July 4 weekend. We will go back and may even stay there when we revisit the Hamptons from London England.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I looked into booking this hotel for my sisters bachelorette weekend. When inquiring about the rooms i asked man helping me if there were any cancelation fees and he assured me there was NOT. He said you had up to 30 days to cancel without any penalties. So naturally I booked my rooms (which are NOT cheap BTW). Fast forward a few weeks later, and almost 2 months before our reservation (well within the cancellation time frame) we end up not going on the trip so i call to cancel my reservation.

I get charged a $50 cancelation fee for EACH room although the man helping me told me there was NO FEE. I called them explaining the situation and asking them if they can make an exception due to my experience and conversation when booking the room. They told me that they cant help me me because there is notice of the cancelation fee in fine print on the reservation confirmation. Well, i didn't even notice the FINE PRINT on my confirmation because i wouldn't have even MADE The reservation had i known there was a cancelation fee no matter how far in advance you canceled your reservation.

I dont normally write reviews like this, i like to give business the benefit of the doubt but i am upset and angry because i feel like i have been taken advantage of. Clearly if i had known there was a cancelation fee i would have NOT booked - and the man on the phone who i booked with told ME there was no fee. So wouldnt you think that the hotel would give me my measly $50 deposit back since this was clearly an employee who was not trained properly and not my fault?

After explaining this they told me they would make an exception and refund me for one of the cancelation fees but not the other. So i am getting charged the $50 instead of $100. If you are able to refund me for one room, you seriously cant refund for the other?
POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. i will never ever book there again, and i will encourage all my friends to do the same.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dana P
SophieHindmarsh, General Manager at The Maidstone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Dana, I know, it is very boring with cancellaton fees but it has been the reality in the hotel business for a long time, and will most likely continue to be so. I am sorry you didn't read the cancellation policy, it is of course always a good idea to do so.

I am glad to hear that Front Desk took away half of the fee for you due to the misscommunicaton you had so you only paid $50.

If you will book a room again I hope youacctually will end up staying here.

Have a lovely summer

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The rooms at The Maidstone were very cute and cozy. We stayed in the THOR HEYERDAHL room which was wonderful. They pay very close attention to detail at this property. Some of my favorite touches were the Stelle Pillar music player and the room scent. We are one night at the restaurant and tried the swedish meatballs which were delicious! I would defiantly come back to this boutique hotel for a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is gem in the East Hamptons. Great rooms, fabulous food in a very cozy restaurant. The
service is personal and all personal are working for you. You will be pampered and not disappointed during your stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 May 2014

What a pleasure and delight our stay has been at c/o The Maidstone. The staff are an absolute joy, the food delicious, the vibe divine and the rooms fabulously eclectic - a unique experience with a beach just a short bike ride from the hotel to blow away those NYC cobwebs. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Edvard Munch- you'll have a "Scream".
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
SophieHindmarsh, General Manager at The Maidstone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Becky, I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay, the vibe, the food, the room and the staff. You know we loved having you here! Have a lovely summer and hope to see you both again

Reviewed 30 March 2014

My fiance and I spent a weekend in August at this East Hampton Inn/hotel. We expected it to be expensive given how few hotels there are and that it was high season. However, we were paying over $1,000 for a dumpy room. Oh - actually not over $1,000 as they listed the room at $970 but then charged a $40 cleaning fee - I guess so they could advertise it as under $1,000!

Great location, poor facility, but that's what happens when there's little competition...

By the end of the weekend, we were referring to the Inn as "The Maid's Quarters"

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alec E
SophieHindmarsh, General Manager at The Maidstone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Alec E,
I think " The maids quarter" sounds kind of nice and cozy! But I am of course sorry to read that that is not what you had in mind when writing this review.

I am also very sorry to read this yesterday, 7 months after your stay. The best way is of course always to let us know if you are not happy with your room to tell us when you are here so we can try to change things around. If we can't do that and have an unhappy guest we always try to compensate in other ways.

Again I am sorry to hear that you where unhappy with your stay and hope that your next stay in East Hampton will be a better one.

Kindest

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Two weeks ago, I had the pleasure of staying at one of the hamptons most intriguing and fascinating hotels. The Maidstone is an iconic venue that a swedish hotel group purchased in recent years. The hotel has been completely refurbished and each of the suites and rooms ath the hotel is totally unique and special. The maidstone is located on main street in east hampton and is walking distance to the theater, movies, and the luxe shops on main street. The best way to describe the hotel is charming, chic, different and a perfect change of pace. Our suite was fun, wild and comfortable with a large queen bed, sitting room with flat screen tv and a fab luxe bathroom and shower. The wall decor, pictures, and ambiance was reminiscent of the woodstock generation and flower power. Loved it and luxuriated in this unusual, quirky and fun environment. The service at the hotel is out of this world sensational. Sophie the GM is charming, stylish and a totally professional manager with a warmth that is instantly felt by each and every guest. We loved the luxe dining room/restaurant- "The living room" which served a fabulous swedish influenced brunch. Lox, caviar, eggs benedict,, bacon, rolls, peconic pride oysters sweet and delicious, and of course "kotbullar"- swedish meatballs, Amazing, and fabulous. An in "face place" where the young and beautiful as well as families and celebrities mix.
The Maidstone has spectacular grounds, outdoor yoga classes in warm weather, high tea,
a gorgeous garden for meditation and exercise.. The hotel encourages you to bring children and pets and they have lots to keep the little ones occupied.
Loved every minute of our stay and look forward to returning in the summer.

Room Tip: Try and get a room right by the garden and backyard. Spectacular tranquility.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
SophieHindmarsh, General Manager at The Maidstone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Barry, thank you so mush for taking the time to write such kind words about us! For us it is so very valuable to have guests, like you and your lovely wife, who really enjoy this whimsical place for all it is. We are looking forward to welcome you again, hopefully not to far in the future.

Stay warm in this (almost Swedish) winter weather!

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Hampton
Mill House Inn
Mill House Inn
#1 of 11 in East Hampton
East Hampton Art House Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Maidstone Hotel? Share your experiences!