“Be careful”

The Blue Inn At North Fork
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Marion
Reviewed 19 October 2013

One star because it is close to Greenport. Like others have mentioned, the restaurant was closed when we went. But what you have to watch out for is leaving stuff in the room. My husband left his $200 Ray Bans on the dresser while we were out one day, never to be seen again. It was cloudy the whole weekend so by the time we realized that they were missing it was time to go and and we had to leave early. There was no one in the office, and no breakfast that morning for some reason. No great loss on the breakfast but if it's advertised you should at least have it available. We finally had to leave the key and get on the road. I left a voice mail at the office about the missing glasses but they didn't return my call. At least they could call and say they did not find them, they would ask around, something. But since they didn't even bother to return the call it gives me a really bad feeling about the place. Their voice mail message doesn't mention that they are closed for the season, since it says to leave a message for a reservation. Someone should be monitoring the voice mails in any event.

Room Tip: I wish we had followed this bit of simple common sense - DON'T EVER LEAVE ANYTHING OF VALUE OUT...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
theblueinn, Manager at The Blue Inn At North Fork, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

I'm so sorry to hear your husband's sunglasses went missing, but I appreciate you reaching out again to let us know. Can you tell me what room you stayed in and which dates you were here? I'd like to look into this further so I can get a better idea of what happened and why.

As for the voice mail, I apologize that we didn't return your call more promptly. Please know that we in no way meant to cause any more confusion or frustration!

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Pulling up to the Blue Inn can be deceiving, as the actual rooms are located behind the front building. (I saw my boyfriend let out a little shriek when he first thought the inn was that small). To be honest, it's cute, it's charming, it has all the amenities needed- and for a decent price. We were planning on spending most of the weekend out at vineyards anyways, so it worked out.

Kitchen area was great! I used the wine glasses and cutlery to have little cheese platter parties with my boyfriend in the middle of the night (shh, don’t tell him I said that!). I highly suggest you venture off and find a local market and cook with the produce while you're there. There's even adorable picnic tables and a hammock outside. Speaking out outside, take a peak over and there's a huge lavender field. We apparently came here right after the season ended, so there was no smell.

A few things though- the room can get pretty cramped (there are no closets, just drawers). The ceilings on the 2nd floor are pretty high though, so that helps. Also, no hair dryer!! Come on, the one time I don't bring one to a hotel and I get out the shower and I'm freezing all day with long soggy hair. Also, the wifi password doesn't work. My boyfriend tried calling the front desk and no answer. I mean, not the end of the world, but we were trying to download an app for the boardgame Taboo (surprisingly goes well with my wine and cheese parties!)

For the price, it'd probably come back again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Talei R

Thanks for recommending us here and on Yelp! You have no idea how much we appreciate you spreading the word about The Blue Inn. We'd love to have you back again sooner rather than later!

All the best,

Reviewed 11 September 2013

We stayed on the second floor in the back building in a very clean and comfortable room. Plenty of space for the two of us. The room seemed newly renovated. We loved having the mini kitchen. The front office staff was friendly and helpful when I called before we arrived to check on places to lock up our bikes. The grounds are beautiful and there are picnic tables and grills available next to the pool.

It was a great launching off point for a bike ride to the Orient Point State Park and a short drive to Greenport and the North Fork Wine Trails. Even though the lavender at the farm next store wasn't blooming while we were there, there was still a lovely scent in the air.

Didn't miss the restaurant or bar, there is a great general store (Fork & Anchor) within walking distance that has amazing sandwiches, great coffee and prepared salads.

An ice maker on the property would be a nice addition, but we were able to pick some up at the Fork & Anchor.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wanderlustisch
theblueinn, Manager at The Blue Inn At North Fork, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Thanks for your recommendation! Comments like these just make my day. We loved having you here, and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Until then,
Mary, General Manager

P.S. I hear what you're saying about the ice maker. We'll certainly take your suggestion into consideration!

Reviewed 6 September 2013

We just returned from The Blue Inn in Greenport which is on the North Fork of Long Island. The hotel was immaculate and the bedding very comfortable. The room had a small kitchenette which was convenient.

However, there were a few drawbacks. There was no ice to be found anywhere on the property. The office was closed and there were no ice machines anywhere, not even cube trays in the freezers in the room. Also, every time someone was cooking and set off the fire alarm in their room it was also set off in all of the rooms. It was okay at 6pm but not cool a 7am the next morning. The restaurant and bar were also closed, which was a bit of an inconvenience. The front desk said they were going to reopen sometime during the year. The staff was polite, but not overly friendly.

All in all, the hotel was convenient to the wineries, very clean, affordable and had a nice pool. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor have cathedral ceilings which gives the room a larger feel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
theblueinn, Manager at The Blue Inn At North Fork, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Thanks for your feedback! I appreciate you speaking up about the lack of ice machines/trays and the smoke alarm situation. We're always open to suggestions on how we can better the guest experience, and I have no doubt your review will help us do just that!

Until next time,

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Given how expensive other nearby options were, my friend and I jumped at the chance to book a room for less than $200 in late August. For one, the main building that is featured in all the management photos is very charming and inn-like however most of the rooms are actually in a separate building, which is not so charming and very dated and motel-like.

The room itself was quite small, however it was nice to have a full kitchen including a half-sized fridge and four-top gas burning stove - I've never seen that included in a basic hotel room before. The kitchen is stocked with utensils, a full plate set including wine glasses, dish soap, etc. so it's perfect for people who want to cook a meal or two instead of eating out all the time. The bathroom was a tight squeeze! The bathroom sink was small and offered very little counter space so we kept our toiletries on the kitchen counter instead of within easy reach in the bathroom, which is a bit inconvenient. There was a shower in the bathroom (no tub) and even though the shower was clean, it looked a bit dated and dingy. I also found the water pressure to be on the low side. My major complaint about the room would be the beds - the mattresses were too soft and saggy and the bed frame is an over-sized wood box which both my friend and I very painfully rammed our shins into by accident on two separate occasions! It would be nice if management could pad the bed frames somewhat, especially since the rooms are on the smaller side and hence guests are probably more likely to bump into them.

On the plus side, I think the management tries to make the best out of what they have and so they are generous with toiletries including toothpaste, Scope mouthwash, dental floss, and shower caps, etc. We thought everything in the room was clean and the bedspreads were cute and looked brand new. I also thought it was great that there are picnic tables and barbecue pits on the grounds, which is perfect for groups and families who are looking for a casual, low-key break from the uber fancy and expensive North Fork restaurant offerings. We thought the continental breakfast was a great little perk, although the actual offerings are somewhat spartan : bagels, mini muffins, mini croissants, cereal, oatmeal packets, yogurt, and apples and bananas. It would have been really nice if management provided a toaster for the bagels and some other jam flavors (they had grape only). Tip: for anyone unhappy with the breakfast offerings, there is a super cute deli/cafe called Fork and Anchor, which is a quick 5 minute walk from the Inn.

Our favorite perk was the Inn's location adjacent to a lavender farm. It was so heavenly pulling in to the Inn and smelling air that was so wonderfully fragrant. Overall, my friend and I were both pleased with our experience at the Blue Inn, but we decided that the lavender farm was our favorite part of the trip and would lure us back to a return stay at Blue Inn.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chau_BK
theblueinn, Manager at The Blue Inn At North Fork, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

While I'm glad you appreciate our proximity to the lavender farm and range of amenities, I'm sorry the rest of your visit didn't live up to your expectations. We like for each of our guests to feel completely comfortable in our rooms, and I'm disappointed that wasn't the case for you. However, I appreciate you sharing about your experience by leaving us a review. It's how we know we can do better, and we will!

Safe travels,

Reviewed 24 August 2013

We had been talking for a while about going to the North Fork for a few days but all the inns/hotels, etc. were just too expensive. Then I found a Travelzoo voucher for The Blue Inn and figured why not. I'm pleased to say it was the perfect choice. It's close to Greenport, the grounds are just beautiful and well kept and the room was fantastic. Spotless and quiet with a great little kitchenette. We got takeout each night--go to the Greek place a little ways down the road--awesome--and sat outside at the picnic tables to eat in the twilight, which is quite a treat for us apartment dwellers. The staff was wonderful and helpful and the pool is great-cool and clean. The only two suggestions I would are bring some paper towels if you are staying more than a day or two to clean up spills, etc.(I felt bad using the towel they provide) and maybe it was just our room that didn't have it but something to put your suitcase on would be great. But we couldn't have been more pleased and we look forward to going back for a longer stay next year.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

The perfect choice? What a generous compliment! Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a recommendation. I hear what you're saying about the lack of luggage racks in our guest rooms, and it's certainly something we'll look into!

Until next year,

Reviewed 22 August 2013

The inn is a 5 minute ride to greenport. Breakfast (8-10) and wine tasting passes were included in the travelzoo package. We went to breakfast at 9:30 and there was literally 2 rolls 1 yogurt and an orange left. We were not offered the wine tasting passes that were supposed to be included. The room was clean, except the towels had visual stains on them. You can borrow a beach pass for a $40 refundable deposit, but it would have been nice if the staff gave a suggestion of a beach. We found Kenney Beach on our own, quiet and sandy (unlike many of the north shore rocky beaches) . Probably would not stay at again. The hotel is not in walking distance of the restaurants in Greenport (claudio's, etc.) If you found this helpful, please click on the helpful button. Thanks for reading.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel by the pool is quieter than the rooms in the main house.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NYGD
theblueinn, Manager at The Blue Inn At North Fork, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

You're absolutely right: When you stay with us, you expect a certain level of care and accommodation; I'm sorry to hear we didn't quite hit the mark. Did you ask our staff for a beach suggestion, or did they just forget to provide you with one? I'm glad you found Kenney Beach on your own, but our team is usually full of helpful suggestions for those unfamiliar with the area!

I'll look into those stained towels you mentioned, and I hope you decide to return so we can show you what we're all about. Thanks for reaching out; I hope your stay on the North Fork was an enjoyable one.

Take care,

Hyatt Place Long Island East End
Baron's Cove
Baron's Cove
#1 of 5 in Sag Harbor

Been to The Blue Inn At North Fork? Share your experiences!