“Good Greek food!”

Hellenic Snack Bar & Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Greek, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Hellenic Snack Bar & Restaurant in East Marion, NY serves authentic Greek cuisine and a great selection of local wine, local harvest and local seafood on the North Fork of Long Island. The portions are plentiful and great for all occasions! We offer year round indoor dining and either full outdoor dining or covered outdoor dining in our enclosed pavilion. It is heated and available year round for catering. We also cater off-premise in your home, on the waterfront or at your favorite winery.
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We were staying in East Marion a few weeks ago and everyone said we must go here, so we did. Good traditional Greek food. There was a lot to chose from. Not the best Greek salad I've had, just different from what I'm used to. Our entrees were delicious. A little pricey but portions were big. Service was very good and they were very busy. From what I could see, it looked like a hands on family operated restaurant, which I love to see. They have inside or outside dining, we chose inside porch dining. Very nice but the seats were so uncomfortable! They were hard metal mesh, some cushions would help. Maybe they have them to help turn the tables fast, it worked on us! We would definitely go back.

George G, Owner at Hellenic Snack Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

We are definitely a family-operated restaurant, Jackie! It's always wonderful to be told that it's apparent. While I'm happy to hear that you liked your meal and that the service was great, I would never want you to feel uncomfortable in any way. We'll keep your feedback about the chairs in mind moving forward!

Looking forward to next time,

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We were traveling west on the Main Road into the Riverhead vicinity. We stayed overnight in Greenport and were hungry. We found this delightful Greek restaurant close by.
We tried the wine flights of LI wines. Some of the local wines were really good.
I had the a lamb stew and my wife had the moussaka. I thought the lamb stew was good. The moussaka was good, but the béchamel topping was a little too thick and firm.
Service was great. We even enjoyed a chat with the owner.
A real treat to find in a rural setting.

George G, Owner at Hellenic Snack Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

We're so glad you found us while you were passing through! It was a pleasure to meet you. I appreciate your honest feedback about the béchamel -- we don't usually hear that, but I'll be sure to discuss it with the kitchen. Consistency is one of our top priorities (pardon the pun). Hope to see you on a future trip!

All the best,

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have been coming to this restaurant since I was a child. Now I take my grandchildren! Always consistent, always delicious! The homemade lemonade is a must!

1  Thank Benz51
George G, Owner at Hellenic Snack Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Four generations? That's incredible. Thanks so much for recommending us to other reviewers! We can't wait to welcome you back next time.

Until then,

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Came here for the rave reviews with 2 little girls. The food was HORRENDOUS. The worst Greek food I have ever tasted, The Greek Salad was just lettuce with feta and a few huge pieces of feta with a couple of huge pieces of tomato. The dressing was OILY and gross. The kids ordered chicken fingers that you have to spend another 3.50 to get French fries with it. The chicken fingers were like overdone rawhide. The fries were the only edible thing of the night. The Souvlaki had wet plum tomatoes all over it with no lettuce and the chicken was huge chucks with grizzle on it. We literally ate again when we got back to the hotel b/c we were still hungry. We left that gross food there and had to give them 60.00 for it. What a travesty. I felt robbed. I don't know what the fuss is all about but this place is somewhere I would NEVER go to again. And it's too expensive one adult and 2 kids 60.00?

2  Thank gringo6305
HellenicII, Owner at Hellenic Snack Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

I just figured I would cut and paste my Yelp Response to you here as well:

We served 632 people on 6/16/2014, which is the day you posted your critique of my restaurant. I am the owner and was there, without leave, from 5am until 9:00pm and had similar work hours the day before

After reading your review, I immediately contacted my entire staff and asked them if anyone who fit your description had complained this past weekend. None of them recall you approaching them. Had you shared your experience with us, I am confident that we would have made it right.

In our thirty eight years of business, we have never used anything other than crumbled feta on the salad, which has far more on it than just lettuce. We only use 100% chicken breast in the chicken souvlaki. I don't understand where the grizzle could have come from and I am looking into it.

In an effort to comply with strict health department regulations, it can happen that the chicken fingers might be overcooked. Again, we would have gladly addressed all of this had you said something in person.

Please bear in mind that the anonymity of the internet does little to hide the true nature of our character. You didn't address this issue directly with me or my staff and you anonymously tarnished my reputation, with little opportunity for redemption.

In the future, please allow hard-working restaurant owners the opportunity to redeem themselves in person. I would never dream of charging a customer for food they did not consume.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Giving a shout out to Hellenic's for their most amazing blueberry pancakes! (Wish we could find pancakes like this in Central Texas. . . . . . ) You're thinking, "Blueberry pancakes at a Greek restaurant?" You bet! They offer a wonderful breakfast selection.....try the French toast --it's amazing, too. Each year when my husband and I head to my hometown of Orient, we do family outings with my parents to Hellenic's specifically for those huge, thin, ever-so-slightly-crisp blueberry pancakes! And the lemonade is scrumptious! Love the choice of inside or outside dining.

1  Thank Deborah E
HellenicII, Owner at Hellenic Snack Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

You are so kind to take the time to share your positive experience with the world! Thank you so much. I am looking forward to your return. Until we meet again...dream of blueberry pancakes. All the best!!