“Smelly hotel, lousy service”
Review of East Norwich Inn

East Norwich Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Norwich
Reviewed 2 September 2008

We stayed here for 5 nights last week. We picked the hotel because it was convenient to relatives and my mother who was in the hospital at the time.

We were given a room with a king-sized bed that was located near the pool. Although the room was spacious, we immediately detected a musty smell to the room which we attributed to it being a humid day. I realized after a couple of days it wasn't the humidity but the smelly cleaning products the hotel uses. I noticed this as I passed the housekeeping trolley in the hallway one morning. It stunk.

The bed was extremely hard and the sheets were so-so. The TV is old and had a background buzz when it was on. The only thing that really worked like it was supposed to was the mini refrigerator. Even the lights in the bathroom (a garish flourescent) wouldn't go on right away and you could barely open the door of the bathroom and get in it at the same time. I'm not thin but I'm not that fat either and it was a tight squeeze.

There were no windows in the room but french doors opening out to the pool. This may sound romantic but with no screens for bugs and no privacy against intruders coming from the pool area this was not a great way to get air into the room - which we badly needed because of the smell.

Toilet paper was not refilled completely at the end of each day and we would call the front desk and the only thing they would do is say they'll tell housekeeping the next day. Because the front desk manager did not have any more extra rolls up front we settled for a box of tissues. This happened two nights in a row.

The wireless internet access was out of commission for a full afternoon and overnight before it was fixed. Again the front desk said it had no control over this and had to wait till the next morning to report it to the computer maintenance people.

The free continental breakfast was meager and most food was completely gone by the 9:30 deadline. What was available were overly chewy bagels and pieces of danish and cold cereal.

When we stated our issues about the toilet paper and internet access at the end of our stay (all previosly reported), the morning desk person said she had not heard about any of the problems and that we would have to call the general manager, Irma Ricci. Since we were going to be busy driving for the next two days we did not get to this and based on the overall response from the staff and the previous reviews here, I doubt that calling her would resolve anything.

No one here seems to take responsibility for making customers happy and comfortable. Above all the place needs to change its cleaning products or rip out the disgusting carpeting in the rooms (or both) because the smell is really bad.

I don't recommend this place for any reason.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Longwood Traveler

Reviewed 13 August 2008

We stayed at this hotel for four days and were very disappointed. The motel is old and needs to be updated. The carpets were wet because apparently they just cleaned the carpets. So when we smelled an odor in the room we thought it was because the rugs were just cleaned. Also, one of the lamps were broken. The next morning th odor was still there so we informed the front desk and when we came back late that night the odor and lamp were still broken. We were asked at this point to move to a new room. We were exhausted and had two young children and this was not going to be possible. We went to talk to the Manager, Maryann the next morning and told her again the situation. On top of these problems, the health spa was not in service which also disappointed my husband since he works out each morning and was told in a review that they had a nice gym. No one ever got back to us about the situation. The next morning I spoke to the general manager or owner Irma who was very rude. She said we are not doing anything for you because we offered to move you at 10:00 the second night. She also said to me that we got a rate for one person instead of 2 adults and children. I then informed her I saw a better rate on expedia and that when I made my reservation, the reservationist said they would match it. I have never been treated by someone so nasty and unprofessional inn a hotel. The staff was friendly, what happened to her? I also told her I grew up in the area and would have given her repeat business every year since this hotel is convenient to where I was visiting, but being treated like this she lost my business. She didn't even care. I would not recommend this hotel!

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank missy329
Reviewed 26 June 2008

I personally booked 3 rooms. I cancelled 1 couple 2 weeks prior and replaced them with another couple. I have a receipt showing that I was suppose to be charged for 3 rooms, but was charged for the couple I cancelled. I also received an extra $50 charged because someone smoked in one of the rooms I set aside even though no one was a smoker in any of the 3 rooms, but I was told they must of had a guest visit and they must of smoked, therefore, they had to air out the room and I received an extra fee. We should of been told about the fee so I could of informed the people in those rooms not to allow smoking. My daughter got married on June 1 and I referred all guests to the Inn and I think at least 30 rooms were reserved which is alot of business. The reservations manager would NOT refund the $50 fee. I will not use this Inn again because I feel we should of been informed of the extra fees and considering all the business that was referred there, they could of been a little more accomodating.

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank jser2000
Reviewed 9 June 2008

We stayed 1 night at the East Norwich Inn while visiting family in the Long Island area. There seems to be a shortage of hotels on LI despite the proximity to the city. The inn was much larger than we had anticipated. Given the tudor style look of the exterior, the interior decor matched but was a bit drab & dark for our tastes & could use an updating. There was nothing wrong with the interior & it certainly seemed clean, but it wasn't bright & cheery. The room itself seemed a bit damp, but again - nothing we couldnt live with for our short stay. We didn't use it, but the pool looked really nice & again larger than one would have expected. The hotel had a free continental breakfast that included pastries, cereal, fruit, and "real" bagels! This was an added bonus that we weren't necessarily expecting. Parking is near the facility, so no problems there. I got a govt discount rate of ~$100/night, I feel this price was reasonable, but I wouldn't necessarily want to spend more unless it was a "have to" have a room type of scenario.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2007

Fine place.

Comfortable rooms, helpful staff. Beds are great.

The continental breakfast and coffee are excellent.

(The lobby has references to Burt Bacharach and the NY Islanders.

I don't know what any of that is about.)

Anyway, feel confident that the East Norwich Inn is very good.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank Tautog
Reviewed 15 September 2006

Enjoyed our stay very much, nice room and good service

• Stayed: August 2006
1  Thank j.c.cannon
Reviewed 26 July 2006

Pretty good hotel, but it was overpriced (although everything in Long Island is overpriced.) The location was great for visiting relatives in Suburban L.I. There are several places to eat within walking distance. It's about 5 miles to the train station. The continental breakfast is fairly good. The staff was very helpful. They have 2 computers with internet access open to guests.

The rooms were average. I have back problems, and the beds were great! The downside, all of our rooms smelled like a combination of stinky feet and wet dog. We had 4 rooms in different parts of the hotel, and they all smelled terrible. The beds were good enough and the rooms were clean enough to keep us from changing hotels. The gym is one bike and one treadmill (gym closes at 8pm). The pool is pretty big and very kid friendly. Oh, and most important for anyone that can't walk up stairs...NO ELEVATORS. You have to carry all of your luggage up 2 flights of stairs. It's manageable, but kind of a pain.

Insider tip to women shoppers: stay away from "Girfriends". It's a boutique in the strip mall next to the hotel. They will try to rip you off, and they are terribly rude. BUT, do stop by the bakery right next door. Delicious everything!

• Stayed: July 2006
Comfort Inn Syosset by Choice Hotels
Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
OHEKA CASTLE Hotel & Estate

Been to East Norwich Inn? Share your experiences!