“Good for Couple's Getaway”
Review of Kurumba Maldives

Kurumba Maldives
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vihamanafushi
Singapore, Singapore
“Good for Couple's Getaway”
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Kurumba is good for couple’s getaway. Very tropical ambience!! It is full of lush coconut trees. I think they spend a lot on the landscaping! The design of the island makes guests feel exclusive and private. The private villa with Jacuzzi is awesome. There is an outdoor Jacuzzi in which you can take a comfortable hot bath while listening to the birds’ singing. As for the restaurant, I would recommend Al Qasr! Sorry there is no picture here because my camera was running out of battery that night. They offer Lebanese food which indeed adds some exotic elements to the island vacation. The beach bar is a good location for couples to watch the stars. Although they have band performance, it is still considered a bit too quiet.

Room Tip: Private Villa with Jacuzzi or Pool Villa
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Leahbb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,011)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bucharest
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I would like to mention that this was our first trip to Maldives and I am happy to say that it was an enjoyable experience. We stayed in Kurumba for 12 nights.
Judit, the Reception Manager, and Hassan, the Restaurant Manager, made our vacation so great that we are already looking forward to our return next year. We booked a half board meal plan, but upgraded to the all inclusive plan after the first day. It proved to be a very good move as I obtained a much better value at the end of our vacation. For our next vacation I will definitely take the all inclusive meal plan directly from the travel agent, before our arrival to the island.
Kharis, the Dive Shop Manager, and two instructors, Momo and Saeid, are very professional and friendly. This guys and the dive sites recommended by them made my diving experience one of the best one so far.
For snorkelers, the house reef offers a opportunity to see black tip reef sharks, turtles, jacks, clown fish, coral garden, eagle rays, parrot and trigger fish, etc.
I am definitely recommending Kurumba Resort.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 178, Deluxe Bungalow, right next to a Beachfront Deluxe Bungalow. On this side of...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank GimiBucharest
Cliffside Park, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I have spent 3 nights from 8 Dec 2012 to 11 Dec 2012 in Kurumba as a family vacation.
Kurumba resort as I know is the very first resort in Maldives, 40 years in service. It does not have a water bungalow like others, but the island is big enough and I see no reasons why they should build any rooms on the water. It takes about 30 minutes to stroll around the whole island. I stayed in a deluxe bungalow which was not exactly at the waterfront but it was close enough. The room was very clean and cozy.
One of the things that I noticed about this resort is that staffs are extremely friendly and they never say no to any requests. For instance, I booked a glass boat tour just 1 hour before the planned time. Unfortunately, the boat was already fully booked. But instead of turning me down, they arranged another trip just for my family.
Another thing that makes this resort outstanding from the others is how the staff diligently maintains the cleanness of the resort. Early morning, they sweep and clean every inch of the beach and the land.
Apart from the above, I found it extremely helpful how they take care of the small things like handing out the excursion programs of the next day each night, leaving a bag tag before the day of leaving, giving assistance of the check out time and departure time in accordance with the flight schedule and a whole lot more. These small stuffs are really making a big difference.
Overall, I had a great experience staying in Kurumba Maldives and I would definitely recommend to others and also would love to come back again in the future.

Room Tip: If you're travelling on a budget, I would recommend the superior rooms. Although superior rooms...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank zaqxswcde
Hayes, Middlesex
Reviewed 16 December 2012

This was our first trip to the Maldives - planned as a surprise birthday for my wife and we stayed at the Kurumba for 5 nights (wish it were longer). From start to finish it was PERFECT!!! Met at the airport by the Kurumba rep and then it was a 10 min speedboat ride to the resort. Check in was smooth and efficient - helped with cool towels and delicious coconut ice cream. Given a tour of the facilities/restaurants etc. We booked a deluxe room on B&B basis. The room was excellent with all the usual facilities. Wifi was up all the time and the open air bathroom/shower was fab, especially good in the hot weather. Speaking of the weather, sunshine all the way with a couple of brief thunderstorms but don't fret about these were short and sharp.Breakfast was at the Vihamana Restaurant and this offered a great selection of food. We usually dined in either the cafe or beach bar. All of the staff were genuinely warm/friendly and always on hand to help.

Our room was right next to the beach and we spent most of the holiday here. Kurumba has two pools but with a the fantastic lagoon at the Kurumba who needs the pools :) We went on the jetski tour (provided by Extreme Water Sports). Well worth the money - $300 for a 90 min tour. We were on a twin seater jetski and it was a scary and fun. Did the Male Tour which was good together with the dolphin/sunset cruise. Wanted to go on the glass bottom boat but this was cancelled twice due to rough seas. Kurumba provides a complimentary snorkelling lesson (in the pool) and then you get to go on the house reef. Snorkelling kit provided FOC.

The best bit - Kurumba were aware of my wife's birthday and decorated the bed with flowers/petals (see photo) and provided a cake too - superb way to top off what was an excellent stay.

Definitely recommend Kurumba Resort everytime :)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alwaysupforaholiday
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2012

It's been two years since my last visit to Kurumba and I must say how impressed I was by the consistency of quality service by the staff, and the introduction of "small little touches" that really do make the difference.
The staff have always been an asset to Kurumba and I couldn't fault their expert hospitality. From the moment you are met at the airport, whisked across the water by speedboat, greeted on the arrival jetty and welcomed with creamy coconut ice cream, you'll feel like you picked the right island. From a simple "good morning" when walking to breakfast, to quick and efficient response to any queries, the team really look after their guests - always with a smile and with an open heart. A special mention to the front office team including Myat Su, Lita, Ahmed and Saeed who's characters where great to see again!
Since I was last there, Kurumba has opened a new sand bar (on the sunset corner of the island) complete with huge bean bags that you can sink into with your cocktail and watch the sun go down behind the horizon. The new furniture in the beach bar (and I'm talking about the 'sweetheart' seats) are a great new addition to creating a romantic and elegant vibe. Subtle touches to the restaurants, rooms and general appearance of the resort has resulted in a fresh and modern atmosphere, a clear example of Jason's (GM) commitment to keep Kurumba current and responding quickly to what we want as guests.
I guess one of the 'grumbles' some people have about the resort are the breakwaters that sit about 50m off the beach. Those people feel like they spoil the view out to the open water, but in actual fact what this does is creates a wonderful shallow sandy lagoon, rather than have an ugly eroded beach like many other resorts. The benefits of having such a breakwater far outweigh the negative.

I can't compliment the Kurumba staff enough for such an enjoyable stay, and would highly recommend the resort to anyone looking for an un-pretentious luxury holiday in one of the most remarkable places in the world :)

Room Tip: Try to go for a Deluxe Bungalow, you'll have the extra space that you won't mind spending th...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JXC2012
Mumbai
Reviewed 12 December 2012

The hotel was genuinely 5 star and they had looked after all the small things really well
The staff all round were excellent and the service was superb.
We were close to the beach by about 20 steps, so this was great. Which later was upgraded free of cost to the beach front Villa which was actually right on the beach.
The rooms were really large, very comfortable and was really well set up.
I would definitely recommend others to visit kurumba if they plan to go to Maldives.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mailmits1980
Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We have stayed in Kurumba for our honeymoon from 26th of November until 1st December 2012 and I must say that it was the best holidays ever!
Just 10 minutes from the airport, this resort, not only is like heaven on earth because of its natural beauty, but also it's an excellent resort in any way you see it. We also come from an island (Cyprus, a small island in the Meditterannean sea) and therefore we are familiar with beach-type-vacations. However, Kurumba has been the greatest place ever. From the very first minute we arrived in your small paradise island, we were treated as the most important guests of the resort! Our room 233, a deluxe room in the western side of the island was just across the beach. The room was really nice, well decorated and extremely clean. I particularly liked that every day the staff left a piece of paper with the next day's activities around the island. Also, one night as we returned from our dinner, they "wrote" on our bed "Happy Honeymoon" using flowers and leaves which was a very nice touch.
The facilities of this hotel are excellent. We have visited the beach bar day and night, the sand bar, we used the spa and went to the snorkeling center. We spent a lot of time at the beach bar and we loved that everynight there was a different kind of entertainment. We particularly liked the candlelight dinner the hotel offered us in Ocean Grill restaurant but in general the food was absolutely great with a vast variety for all tastes, especially at the Vihamana restaurant that we had breakfast and dinner as we were on halfboard basis. At the Ocean Grill restaurant one of the people who were working there that night (Chloe is her name I think) knew we were from Cyprus and came to say hello in our language.
But, as someone who travelled a lot, I must say that a good hotel is not only about nice facilities and beautiful beaches and luxury rooms. It's mostly about the people who work there. We were amazed by how kind everyone was. And I know it's their job but still...every single employee we met, the gardeners, the cleaners, the person who checked us in and gave us a small tour of the island, all the waiters, the barmen, the people who gave us the snorkeling equipment, the employees at the spa, EVERYONE was extremely friendly and helpful. They even stopped their work to smile and say goodmorning to us everyday we walked to breakfast. The one think I noticed when chatting with a few of the employees is that they felt proud about the place they work. The barman at the Sand Bar (I am sorry I cant remember any names) told us that Kurumba is the first resort that was created in Maldives and that the owners are a Maldivian family and I felt that he was really happy to be working there.
Over all, I just wanted to say congratulations to everyone in Kurumba resort for everything and that it was the best vacation ever and that I will be surely be coming back the soonest possible!

Room Tip: All rooms are really close to the beach as it is a very small island, but of course there are a few...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank R T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vihamanafushi
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Mald...
#1 of 1 in Kandoomaafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Meerufenfushi
Baros Maldives
Baros Maldives
#1 of 1 in Baros Island

Been to Kurumba Maldives? Share your experiences!