“Great holiday in a fantastic resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kurumba Maldives

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vihamanafushi
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
“Great holiday in a fantastic resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Just got back from a fantastic holiday at Kurumba in the Maldives. From the start you felt relaxed with the staff picking you up at the airport and putting you at ease. Meeting Victoria at the airport for a short ~10min speedboat trip to the resort and being inform about the guest cocktails that night was a really nice touch.

The excursions we went on we're great fun, seeing spinner dolphin, sea turtle, rays, thousands of fish and the local community.

The Maldives is breath taking experience and Kurumba is a little peace of haven in the middle of the Maldives. The staff have to be the friendliest people I've ever meet, very chatty and always looking at helping you out. A special mention has to go to Hassan Hussain (HH) in the Vihamana restaurant who looked after us each night, really nice guy and really attentive (hope he does well at Kurumba). Plus the entertainment put on in the evening was like the icing on a cake.

Loved the place and would recommended it to anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in the beach front beachfront bungalow which was really nice the rooms we're massive a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jason K, General Manager at Kurumba Maldives, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear Alfred,

What a fantastic review! Many thanks for your words, they made my day. I am happy you enjoyed experiences we offer like excursions during day time and entertainment at night. It is important for us to be sure their is enough choice of activities on our island – as you can start your day with sunbathing and swimming / snorkeling, but finish with active sports, tours to other islands and fast dances full of fun under the starts in a bar with DJ or live band.

Thank you for mentioning Hassan Hussain and Victoria in your review. They were very happy to see their names among your words. We all appreciate your feedback about our staff and service. For me it is an honor to know they are doing great job to give our guests the best impressions and memories.

I hope your journey back to UK was quick and safe and wish you all the best.

See you next time!

Kurumba Maldives

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (976)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Amazing hotel. Real 5 stars luxury. The premises of the hotel are just out of this world. it was clean, modern and authentic at the same time. We had a deluxe villa. The outdoor rain shower was great. The room was perfect, modern and classy. Comfy beds. The patio with the sea view was perfect. The hotel is mainly for old coupled and families so it is calm, sometimes too calm. But if you get bored, book excursions and go visit Lively Male the capital which is not far (a few minutes by boat). Food and activities at the hotel are (very) expensive, same for excursions. If you have the chance to go there once in your lifetime, do it, it is worth it, and gonna be something you remember for the rest of your life. We had rain as we were there during the rainy season but that does not spoil even a bit of your holidays. The beaches, the sea, the colors, the smells, the expatriation.. All are reasons to visit the Maldives :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kas_Bxl
Dear Lebinbrussels,

Thank your for your nice and honest review. I am extremely glad you had super stay with us and enjoyed our facilities. We really do our best to keep the resort in the perfect condition. You are absolutely right is it calm and relaxing here, but at the same time the resort is suitable for people, who prefer more active holidays. It is a little sad you valued our hotel as very expensive as we are doing our best to keep reasonable and competitive rates for activities and dining. We regularly check our competitors and know we are providing better value for our guests than other resorts. At the same time we always have a list of free activities (sports, classes, tours) in our resort – and they not less interesting a chargeable tours. I hope you got a chance to try those.

In terms of entertainment, Kurumba offers the most vibrant nightly entertainment in the Maldives as well. I hope that you had the opportunity to see some amazingly talented, live bands, DJ's and social events.

But to be fair I am very pleased with the rest of your review and it brings a smile on my face to know that your vacation went well. I really hope you will visit our resort again and our team will get a chance to greet you and your family with their warm smiles pretty soon.

Best regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

The best best best best hotel so far. Had my honey moon there. Best service. Really happy w our stay there. I'd rate 11/10. They would make sure we feel at ease all times. Asked for the person to get our bags in our room prior to check out, found out the person was already there in front of our doorsteps.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hanis B
Jason K, General Manager at Kurumba Maldives, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Hanis B,

With your beautifully concise review you made me smile a lot. It is simply happiness to get such comments and I will definitely pass onto our team. We all are extremely excited you enjoyed your honeymoon and we know it was very important for you.

I am sure you keep a lot of sweet memories of days spent in Maldives and they will embelish workaday routine while you are away from our paradise island.
We are looking forward to welcome you back to Kurumba.

Sunny regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

What can I say but I have just enjoyed my last day at Kurumba and am thoroughly saddened to be leaving.
Lets start at the beginning, airport greeting was speedy with a small yacht about 4 mins walk from arrivals gate, 2 very smiley and polite young men waiting for us, keen to carry our bags. Once on board the air conditioned boat we were given ice cold drinking water and scented wet towels to refresh. We were the only pick up that day and we were invited onto the top floor of the boat with the driver who gave us a brief history of maldives on the 10 minute journey to our island.
On arrival we were taken into a reception lounge and given more drinks and some homemade sorbet. It was clearly going to be a busy day for them as there were about 25 welcome packs laid out awaiting the guests arrival, this didnt show however as we were given a walk around tour and escorted to our room with our luggage.
Deluxe room was more than adequate with usa satellite tv, mini bar, snacks, cafetierre coffee, fresh milk and water daily, double wardrobes and drawers, safe, iron, all the usual plus little touches like flip flops provided, herbal teas and daily information sheets with activities, weather, tides etc. The bathroom is a nice touch being semi-outdoors with giant bathtub seperate shower room, clothes drying rail, it is not airconditioned and it is susceptible to the odd little house gecko but these are really not an issue.
The island itself really is idyllic and looks just like it does on ALL of the photograph's with its large shallow lagoon and waterside restaurants and bars. All the rooms are beach side and have their own designated sun loungers and you are never more than 10 meters from the white beaches.
We stayed on a b&b basis and enjoyed the use of all 8 reataurants and were never disappointed, portions were very generous, food well cooked and presented booking a table was never a problem.
I was a tiny bit disappointed with the service in the main bar (called the beach bar) there seemed to be a lot of waiting staff ready to carry drinks to your table and take drinks orders but nobody behind the actual bar to make the drinks. We actually waited about 25 mins on more than one occasion. The drinks quality was very good with as good a selection of top shelf spirits and top of the range spirits as any high end inner city bar, descent cocktail selection for the ladies however maybe the cocktail emphasis was on presentation rather than mixology.
The prices were all very reasonable ($7 beer, $12 cocktail & meals ranging from $15-$100 for sandwiches and pizzas upto whole local lobster) and entertainment was in the style of live music every night albeit some of the acts were significantly better than others.
Halfway through our 2 week stay Kurumba started major renovations on its flagship restaurant and closed it, they actually tore the whole thing down to rebuild a larger more modern space, this really wasnt a problem for us and caused no inconvenience at all but Kurumba very kindly offered all of the guests a complementary excursion to compensate, we took full advantage of the offer to attend the sandbank picnic, this really was a wonderful day where we were taken by boat on a 50 minute journey to a simple shelf of sand in the middle of the indian ocean, we had an amazing opportunity for snorkeling (for which the equipment was provided by Kurumba, free of charge for the duration of our stay along with free lessons for beginners) then we enjoyed a cold buffet style picnic on the beach with free flowing soft drinks, beer and wine.
We found the whole island to be extremely quiet at all times to which we later found out that the resort was at capacity, to me this means that Kurumba have found the perfect balance of running a gorgeous resort without feeling the need to cram people in to simply increase revenues and this is a refreshing change compared to other resorts we have been to. I have read previous reviews where people have commented on the close proximity to the airport and yes you can see and hear large planes taking off/landing as often as every ten minutes and sea planes even more often during daylight hours but this really does not spoil anything.
We started our maldivian adventure with two days of solid rain but then the sun shone and made the place even more special, however there did seem to be a lightening show every night on the horizon.
As I mentioned the island resort was at capacity which meant we werent able to enjoy our usual 'late check out', however we were looked after by the staff and they provide very comfortable shower suites and a quiet area in the hotel library which has small beds for relaxing.
This 2 week holiday came to be our little bit of paradise and would reccomend Kurumba Maldives to all. Thank you Kurumba.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank simon s
Dear Simon,

Thank you for staying with us and posting this wonderful review.

I have no doubts your detailed comments will allow our future guests to have more idea about experience of vacation in Kurumba and will make them desire to visit the island even more. I am happy your arrival experience was great and smooth which allows me to praise efforts of our team members.

I also appreciate your understanding of our Ocean Grill restaurant upgrade process and we are excited to imagine how fabulous and modern it is going to be to please even the most captious customers. I really hope you will have a chance to get back to Kurumba for another holiday and check it out – no doubles you will not regret.

Please allow me to follow up with our bar team regarding the speed of service in our main bar. I hope this issue did not give you any bad feeling about the resort in general and it is certanly not acceptable. Please rest assured I will take actions to improve this part of our service.

We hope you are having a beautiful time back at home.

Take care,
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

This is one of the few resorts where you check out the pictures on their website and sigh "looks amazing...." - when you arrive - it is exactly as you saw it; perfect.
Nothing about this resort is old or shabby despite it being the first private island resort in the Maldives. It is an excellent place to relax and enjoy paradise.
I would recommend the all inclusive option - this worked out well for us, I didn't take the 'dine around' option as we only took a short 5 night break, so we were not bored with the buffet choices [which were good]. Generally eating and drinking on resort islands like this one is expensive, so if you like a drink or two - AI is the way to go. As a guide the buffet dinner and lunch is US$ 60 per person. Check out the website for details on AI rates.
The snorkeling on the island is great, with free equipment loaned to you for the duration of your stay. You only have to venture in to the warm beautiful sea a few meters to be greeted by coral reefs teaming with fish, the odd sting ray [yes I came a little too close to one for comfort - not intentional, but quite scary] and some small reef sharks.
The rooms are very high quality with nice little touches like beach bag and flip flops. The hair dryers are not great though - so if you have longer hair, take your own [or like me - be relaxed and wear it up].

The only down side for me was the humidity was high - making it feel very hot; hard to walk around for more than a couple of minutes without getting very hot and a bit sweaty. I would like to see a couple more air conditioned spaces [other than just your room] as both the bars, main restaurant and reception are all 'out door/open sided' and have only ceiling fans. It would have been nice to have a bar/cafe area that had AC for some respite. The island is lush and green, so do take some good mozzie/insect repellent.

All in all a fantastic break - very relaxing, memories of the sea and beach will last a lifetime.

I would not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Check out the resort map, rooms on the side of 211 have lovely views of the other islands and a cool...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bernadette R
Dear Bernadette R,

Thank you for your reasonable review and I am happy your short break in Kurumba was quite enjoyable. It is a pleasure to host guests like you – fair and happy, who can enjoy services, but who will also advise what should be done even better.

I am happy our little touches in the room were valued by you and gave you more joy during your stay. It is our goal to do everything for guests to be able to relax and release stress and we are happy you got your piece of Maldivian relaxation.

I certainly understand your concerns about the air conditioning in our resort and I am happy that absolutely all our rooms and indoor facilities are well equipped with new conditioners. However to save energy and environment on a small island in the middle of Indian ocean it is not reasonable to supply completely outdoor areas with air conditioning systems other than fans as it will not give much of use. We do have 4 speciality restaurants and 1 bar that are air conditioned. However I will definitely look into this in regards to find a solution of the problem. We hope that nice and cool breeze from the ocean gave you more pleasure during your holidays, especially in hot hours.

Thank you for recommending us to everyone and we hope to see yourself on our island at least once again and very soon.

All the best,
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Went here for my honeymoon for 6 nights and my experience in one word was - OUTSTANDING.

We landed in Male in heavy rains and the airport counter ppl very courteously led us to the speed-boat for transfer to the resort. I and my wife were highly impressed by the crew and the overall experience of the speed boat.

The check-in process was extremely efficient and the coconut ice-cream that we were offered at check-in was very tasty as well.

We had booked the deluxe bungalow and it was amazing. The room was a bit away from the sea which was perfect. The room was extremely clean, the amenities were perfect and the ambience was highly romantic. The complimentary bottle of wine was a good bonus too.

Regarding the food, we had gone for the full-board option so we always dined at Vihamana and we were never once dissapointed. The breakfast was amazing and in particular the pancakes used to be perfect. The lunch and dinner spreads were outstanding and the variety was indeed amazing to see. Hard to pinpoint a specific item since all 6 days all food was good but I particularly liked the shawarma and the mongolian counters they had on weekday lunches.

Overall resort was fabulous and well maintained. The beach chairs and the overall fun of being in clear blue waters was out of the world. In addition, the pier leading to the sea was perfect for romantic walks. The whole resort is one big piece of heaven and me and my wife couldnt have been more happier to be at this place.

The only downside was the number of lizards in the evening. It was a bit eeky seeing so many of them all over but its only a small minus in an overall amazing experience.

I look forward to visiting them again for my 5th wedding anniversary.

Room Tip: Choose deluxe bungalows that are slightly away from the beach (rooms 196-204) so as to avoid getting...
1 Thank adtelang
Dear adtelang,

Many thanks for your “golden” review which is definitely one of the best I read. We are really proud to be “one big piece of heaven” as you mentioned and we are more than happy to share this heaven with our guests. I am glad your honeymoon experience was fabulous and we are flattered you are already planning to celebrate your 5th anniversary in our resort. Be sure we will not only keep the level of the service on the same level till that time, but will grow and develop our guests’ experiences on daily basis.

I also understand your concerned regarding some lizards and possibly geckos you can see time to time around the island. These reptiles are part of the limited wildlife in the Maldives, are harmless and to be true they are quite friendly and living their own reptiles’ life. Actually having geckos and these other lizards reduce other common pests. We really hope they did not bother your too much during your holiday.

We are looking forward to see you back to Kurumba for your anniversary and hope your journey back to India was safe and pleasant.

Sunny regards,
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We were here for our 1st anniversary. The kind of service we got is unmatched. From start to end of the trip (about to end :( ) every thing was so nice that it is bit difficult to explain in words. So, come here and experience it !!!

The staffs were very decent and nice, we liked it the most. The room in which we stayed was also nice and was very near to seashore.
About excursion, sunset and dolphin finding and Male trip was good. The Sandback picnic was the best.... A different experience. Glass bottom boat was ok. Snorkelling will be also good. But, we didn't do. Of course these excursions are meant for people with different tastes. So, check your taste :) !!!!!.
You can play TT (Ping pong), LT and few more things here.
About food, we tried Indian food ( kurumba mahal) most of the time. It was good. Initially you will think food is expensive. But if you see the kind of effort required to make the food and quality of food being prepared then you realise the price is ok !!!!!
About water sports, it is bit expensive. But equipments were of good quality.

Overall, We loved kurumba!!!!! Come and have kurumbing !!!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 177. So, 176 178 will also be good.
2 Thank Ajit k
Dear Ajit k

Thank you so much for staying with us and posting this great review. Allow me to wish you happy belated anniversary once again and we are proud you shared this moment with us.

It is marvelously you experiences quite many of our excursions and we appreciate you gave such a positive feedback about these services. Definitely you are right it is the matter of taste which tour is going be the best for every single person, but to be true arranging our tours we are trying to make them comfortable for all people. What is the most important is to get enough information before the tour about it to have an idea if it is something you would like to do or not.

Thank you for highlighting our Indian restaurant in your review. Indian cuisine nowadays is like home cuisine here in Maldives – healthy and delicious – the best choice for any day.

Many thanks for staying with us and we hope to see you back soon.

Warm regards,
Kurumba Maldives
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vihamanafushi
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Velassaru Maldives
#1 of 1 in Velassaru Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,570 reviews
Anantara Veli Maldives Resort

Been to Kurumba Maldives? Share your experiences!