“Beautiful Island Retreat”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vihamanafushi
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Island Retreat”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Just returned from our honeymoon in Kurumba which followed on from a 4 night stay at a 5 star resort in Dubai. We were staying in a deluxe pool villa and were greeted at the island by all the management staff which was a lovely touch. We were then taken in a buggy to our room to check in which was also very nice and meant we could start enjoying out honeymoon straight away!
Our room was beautiful; being the humid season it was so handy having a swimming pool out your back door! There were maybe a few items that were a little tired, like the rug in the seating area which had a few stains on it but the rest of the room made up for that! The boy who cleaned our room was also lovely, so friendly and always did a great job.
We asked to be on the side of the island that faced the airport as that is where the majority of restaurants and bars are so we wanted to be close to them. The noise from the planes is barely noticeable and I quite liked watching them coming in to land and taking off!
We were all inclusive and being in a deluxe pool villa we ate in the Kurumba Cafe at breakfast which was a mix of table service and buffet and was fantastic. The food was great, me and my husband had the same thing every morning - eggs benedict and the ocean grill which is their version of a fry up! The staff were so welcoming and attentive.
We also ate in each of the a la carte restaurants and the buffet restaurant and our favourite was definitely Ming Court, had a great selection of food and well worth the extra money.
Unfortunately, there were a couple of downsides to what was an otherwise perfect stay. Bar the staff in the Kurumba Cafe, the majority were very inattentive. It normally took a long time to get drinks no matter where you were, the problem being that the a la carte restaurants get their drinks from the main bar and when you are only ordering one drink at a time you can end up waiting 20mins in between drinks. There seemed to be a lot of standing about and chatting, it also seemed that if you were polite and said please and thank you waited longer for things than the people who moaned and were loud.
The setting is perfect, the room was amazing and the food delicious but I just don't think the staff are up to the standards of other 5 star resorts that I have been to which is a shame because for the money we paid it would probably put me off going back.

Room Tip: We had room 277 - gorgeous and only 2min stroll to the restaurants and the bar.
2 Thank sarah151108
Jason K, General Manager at Kurumba Maldives, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear sarah151108,

I appreciate time you took to write you review and value our facilities. I am glad that in general your honeymoon went well and you started enjoyed it from the first step on our beautiful island. Definitely you did the right choice by booking Deluxe Pool Villa – the stunning accommodation type which can satisfied everyone. It is so enjoyable to relax by the own pool area and have some privacy. I also appreciate you recognized the service of our housekeeping team member – please rest assisted I will pass your feedback to the department to praise the staff.

Unfortunately I was disappointed to learn that in the bar you did not get high quality service and be sure I will look into it and have a chat with team members to check what happened to improve the service. The satisfaction of our guests is our major goal and daily priority.

I hope the rest of things and little touches made your stay wonderful and we will be always happy to greet you back to our island.

Kurumba Maldives

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (987)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This resort just a short boat ride away from Male, although one of the first resorts in the Maldives, is very well maintained.
From the first welcome with coconut fragranced towels as you alight the boat to the very welcome coconut sorbet at the reception the check in is super smooth.
The rooms allocated to us 211 and 217 ( we were two couples ) were fitted with the very best of fittings and just a stones throw from the beach.
The La Cucine serves an excellent Itallian fare.
The service level across the board is of an excellent standard and one is always made to feel welcome.
All in all a wonderful stay in one of the most picturesque locations in the world.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shabz52
Dear Shabz52,

Thank you for writing a review about your holiday and I am happy you had a wonderful stay. As well allow me to thank you for recognizing service in our Italian restaurant – I am sure your words will be appreciated by the whole team. I am glad in general you liked everything from the start of your journey to Kurumba till the end and I hope it will inspire you to visit our property again one day.

All our team is sending sunny regards to you to Mumbai!

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We have just returned from this wonderful island resort. We had just finished a week of diving on a live aboard boat and our stop over at Kurumba Maldives was a chance to rest before our long journey back home to South Africa. Our transfer from the airport island to Kurumba was first class. An air-conditioned, luxury speedboat with attentive staff, quickly welcomed us aboard with wet guest towels to wipe off the travel stickiness and a bottle of iced water.
Once on the island we were welcomed into the arrival reception for paperwork, with the usual cold face cloth and a sorbet treat, and advised on the procedure to get us settled into our rooms. We had arrived earlier than the rooms were ready, but we were welcomed to explore the facilities and to enjoy refreshments at one of their many restaurants. We would be found and advised as soon as our room was ready.
Every effort is made to make all most welcome on the island. From honeymooners to mobile impaired, family groups, couples or singles, all are well catered for.I believe that there are even chalets with their own swimming pools too! I loved the feeling of privacy you experience. The accommodations are beautifully positioned and are surrounded by well designed plantings that make you feel far away from your closest neighbour.
The rooms are most comfortable and I loved the special semi-open air en-suite. The complementary bottle of wine and the Kurumba bear was most thoughtful.
Everyday special excursions are arranged which, although we did not make use of these, for those who were to stay a little longer, it could be most helpful to get a more enriched experience of the Maldives.
The resort offers so much just on the island. All sorts of water sports are on offer and you can even learn how to snorkel and scuba dive. I overheard one lady booking swimming lessons to become a more confident snorkeler! The kiddies area is magnificent. Many creches would be envious of the set-up. The gym is very well equipped. There are tennis courts, table tennis tables and snooker tables round the resort. The swimming pool is beautifully designed and has plenty of lounging or seating available. Poolside catering was enjoyed by many.
There are plenty of tempting restaurants, some specialized restaurants were by booking only, but the general eating places offered a wide variety of excellent food, cooked to perfection and beautifully presented. Alcohol was available for those who enjoy a drink or two, even though alcohol is banned in other parts of the Maldives.
Most of our time was spent snorkeling in the area inside the protective tide wall round the island. Most rooms were a few steps away from the sea and we saw many of the same fish, rays and even baby sharks, that we had seen on scuba! Some corals are growing on rocks and structures in the sheltered waters too.
All meal times are lengthy so you can sleep in if you want to. The breakfasts are a feast and we actually didn't feel hungry during the lunchtime heat. A late lunch served us for supper too!
I particularly enjoyed the beauty of the orchid display and we wandered through the plant nursery too.
All the staff were friendly and helpful and went out of their way to make you feel special. The resort was kept beautifully clean and the rooms were immaculate.
We left the island feeling fully relaxed and appreciative for our short time of being treated like royalty.
I would love to return some day

Room Tip: If you enjoy the sea views, which are beautiful, ask for a room on the shore. There are a couple of...
Dear yet2bethere,

Greetings from the paradise island. Thank you for time you took to write your beautiful review. I really enjoyed reading your comments and they brought a smile on my face. It is a pleasure you had good and relaxing time after your diving journey. It is a pity you did not manage to experience our excursion – obviously because of the lack of time. However I do hope next time when you are in Kurumba Maldives you will get a chance to try at least one of our unique Maldivian experiences – activities to enjoy, impressions to remember.

I am also pleased that you found that our team were friendly and helpful. For me it is very important to read your feedback about our Kurumba’s family and I will be happy to spread your feedback for staff motivation.

I hope your trip back to South Africa was enjoyable and certainly hope to welcome you back to Kurumba one day.

Liverpool Lass
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here last week of May 2014 - from the moment you arrive until you leave - the friendly staff treat you like royalty .. 15 mins away from Male' airport via speedboat .The Deluxe rooms are spacious , clean , most comfortable beds .. Lovely terrace - footsteps away from clean white sandy beach leading to warm Blue waters of a Indian Ocean - with sun loungers allocated per room - spacious bathrooms with big bath and separate walk in shower ... Shampoo,conditioner, soap and body lotion provided - topped up daily - also hair dryer and iron with board provided.. As well as towels,beach towels and beach bags .. Buffet Breakfast at the main restaurant included in packages - plenty of choice to suit everyone all freshly made .. A good choice of restaurants including Chinese , indian, Italian and seafood - but not cheap - so consider other board options to suit .. Many excursions and activities to choose from - many complimentary ones too ..
Very family friendly - all in all a wonderful stay ..

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank PoshPaws_7
Jason K, General Manager at Kurumba Maldives, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear PoshPaws,

Thank you for your great review on Trip Advisor. I am happy we created a wonderful stay for you which you enjoyed. That is very much true – we do try an balance the needs of couples and families.

Thank you for experiencing our facilities and staying with us. This was a pleasure to host you on the sunny island.

I hope your trip back home was comfortable and safe.

South Hedland, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Went here with my husband in in December on our honeymoon. Customer service was the best I have had at any hotel I have stayed ever. We got upgraded to the presidential suite for free which was a double bonus. Very tranquil, romantic and heaven on earth. Only thing is that the dinner prices are a bit pricey but I guess in a country where majority of the food is imported makes sense. Would definitely go back there anytime.. loved the fact that housekeeping was twice a day..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hilda C
Dear Hilyho,

Thank you for taking time to share your comment about us. Maldives is a fantastic destination for ones honeymoon and I am glad you stayed with us on Kurumba for such an important holiday.

It is was a pleasure to take care of you and I hope that we managed to create an unforgettable romantic memories for your honeymoon. I would like to thank you for highlighting the quality of service and hospitality in the resort. I am pleased to read such words about our team and I will be happy to share your feeback with the entire team.

I love reading will definitely come back and be sure we all cannot wait when it happens.

Sunny regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Sorry this is a little late. My husband and I stayed at Kurumba to celebrate our 8th anniversary. Our stay at the resort was wonderful!

First, it is a terrific location, a short 15-20 min yacht ride from the airport. We were immediately greeted by the Kurumba staff who took our luggage and gave us cold towels. Once we arrived, we were given coconut ice cream as a refreshment, which was great as my husband and I came from the US and it was a winter blizzard there. So, we were not dressed for this occasion.

We had a beach view room which was 20 steps to the ocean and amazing! The rooms are clean and modern, with many thoughtful touches. With a lot of gadgets between my wife and myself (laptop, ipad, phones etc), we particularly appreciated the many electrical sockets in the room. I know, it's the Maldives, we should not be connected, but we cannot help it.

Our Maldivian team was wonderful. The hotel discovered that it was our anniversary and arranged for a special surprise for us.They decorated our room twice with flowers and gave us little cake. It was magical. We had champagne breakfast every morning. I highly recommend this upgrade if it is not in your package. We also appreciated their fantastic restaurant / café selections. We enjoy good food and Kurumba was not at a loss in this area. We ate at the Japanese, Italian, Indian and Seafood/Steak restaurants in addition to the Cafe.

I went on the jet ski tour which was amazing. We were able to stop at a sand dune in the middle of the ocean. We parked our jet skis and could look out at the ocean. We even stopped in the area where the boats go to dolphin watch. Four spinning dolphins jumped out of the water as we stopped our jet skis. It was magical.

Everyone was always courteous, professional and friendly. The grounds were maintained beautifully. Unfortunately, my husband caught a cold during the last full night of our visit so we had to leave dinner early. The Kurumba team sent our meal to our room which was very thoughtful of them. It is such thoughtfulness that will make us keep coming back to the hotel and recommending it to others. I had such a great time. I will be dreaming of my Maldivian vacation for years to come.

Room Tip: Get a beach front room on the side opposite the airport. It is a longer walk to reception and the r...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Tiffanie W,

I hope you are doing well back to New York. It was such an honor to read your review and it is greatly appreciated.

Wow, it looks like you got many great experiences here. A combination of ocean activities, warm sun rays, high quality delicious food and relaxing environment can create magic, can’t it? And here in Kurumba we love creating the best spiritual and magical experiences for our guests.

I feel sorry your husband got a cold during his holiday, however I am glad our team took good care of him to make your stay better no matter what. I am certainly glad as a result you are dreaming about your next vacation in Maldives.

I am looking forward to welcome you back to our sunny island.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I've just come back from Kurumba, Maldives today and I think that I should write down my comments immediately. I lived in Kurumba for 05 days 04 nights and it was totally great. Hotel is located nearby the airport ( just take ~10 mins by speed boat), it will help the guests whom have flight on 9:00am as me. Hotel is beautiful 100% percent with trees, flowers, sandbank and rooms. My room faces to the beach just few steps to reach. A lot of coconut trees made more peaceful and romantic. You can lay down all day there. The room is modern, warm with a perfect bathroom which is connected with nature. Hotel has many activities such as snorkelling, sailing, diving, canoe, sunset and dolphin discovery… I and my boyfriend did spend one afternoon to snorkelling (private) and we are satisfied with variety of fish, coral. For sunset and dolphin discovery, it was so exciting and interesting. The staffs are friendly, helpful and lovely. They can remember your name / room number and have some nice talks to take care you. Ah, I love the coconut shampoo / shower gel / conditioner / lotion as well. :). A lot of thing to say but to sum up, I think the word " PERFECT" is enough. Hope I can visit there again.

Room Tip: - Underwater camera for snorkelling. Great coral reefs and fishes.
Dear Katie,

Thank you for a great review and it was a pleasure to read. Reviews like this are a great inspiration to our seam and serve as great recognition and motivation.

I am glad your stay with us was perfect and you enjoyed the natural beauty of the island along with smiles and care from our staff. To be true we really keep our resort very green with plenty of plants – paradise island cannot look anyhow different. It is a pleasure enjoyed the environment and I hope during your holiday you really became closer to nature. It is so easy in Maldives with snorkeling, swimming, lazy sunbathing, walking around the island through the beauty of the tropical coconut grove. I really hope you cannot wait to come back.

Sunny regards,
Kurumba Maldives
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vihamanafushi
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Velassaru Maldives
#1 of 1 in Velassaru Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,584 reviews
Anantara Veli Maldives Resort

Been to Kurumba Maldives? Share your experiences!