“Absolutely amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kurumba Maldives

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vihamanafushi
“Absolutely amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just arrived back yesterday. Best ever resort and destination we have been too! Well worth the money! The resort was fantastic for both families and couples. The resort and the staff are amazing. The food was excellent too!! The resort offers so much from excursions to water sports. Will definitely visit the resort again! This place is unique.

P & P, UK

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Jason K, General Manager at Kurumba Maldives, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Priya,

Thank you for characterizing our resort as the unique place! I definitely like it and it is our team goals to make it different and for the better. Your comment is valuable for us and I am glad you enjoyed your stay in Kurumba Maldives. I am happy you have a plan to visit us again and we will make sure you will be satisfied with your decision.

See you around and hopefully soon!

Kurumba Maldives

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (972)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Kurumba it's an awesum beach resort with friendly staff crews , and extraordinary service , but limited food option when it comes Indian cuisines , awesum water sport snorkeling was the best , it's totally an different world , wind surfing , beaches are so crystal clean , I never ever experience in my life time

Stayed June 2014
Dear Shivaprasad S,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay in our resort. I am glad you had a new and impressive experience in your life, which I am sure you will remember for a long time.

I am a little surprised you definded the Indian food selection as limited. To be true it is a little difficult to agree at we do have one a la carte restaurant with Indian cuisine only and as well offer Indian dishes in our café and buffet restaurant. I hope you had a chance to try those for your dining. At the same time we cannot offer only Indian variety of food as we have guests all around the world. Our intention is to provide meals for guests of all nationalities in the best way we can.

I am glad the rest of you experience was wonderful and you really enjoyed everything. Hope your trip back home was pleasant and safe.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We went on our honeymoon to Kurumba 17th May - 28 th May 2014.
We were greatly amazed by the luxury that welcomed us.
We payed a special offer package, so all I prepared was a glamping style very basic holiday.
It turned out our apartment was huge, very fancy design,our bathroom had a big garden, had 3 showers in it, everything was much better than I though it would be.
As it is monsoon season, we had 6.5 days most wonderful sunny hot days, and had about 3.5 days non stop like 24 hrs rainy, thundery, grey days. The rainy days were not at once, but here and there. At rainy times the hotel offered many free programs to compensate for the weather. We went to free dolphin tour, free massage lessons, free painting course, free island hopping to male.but there are many other offers, as free snorkleing, free coral reef visits, so on. Every day there were free coctails for an hour.the breakfast is absolutely fan-tas-tic! So amazing, so huge, it covered our lunch as well. We took a bagful of snacks with us to munch on , since we did not pay for all inclusive. You will truely feel in a tropical paradise, if you will come to this island. We have not even entered the water yet,just by walking along the beach we have seen tiny blacktip sharks, giant beautiful pufferfish, all sorts of colourful tropical fish, flying chi hua hua-s( fruitbats), colourful small lizzards( i guess it keeps spiders away). We are a bit aware of sharks so we only stayed within the coral reef close to the beach. We have seen a minimum of 80 different species of tropical fish, including lion fish, yellow sweetlips. On about 6 occasions we found ourselves next to giant yellow triggerfish, and it was not agressive at all. i was chasing them to make photos of them. I almost sat on a murena once, we have seen giant turquoise and red parrotfishes, etc. all these wonderful animals are extremely shy, and they can be approached easily. They don't like flash cameras , but you won't need that, the water is like tap water, so clean.
Watch out for coconuts falling. The staff regularly cut them off, but there are so many coconut trees, I have seen one falling before me:)
The ocean is very shallow, you can just let your babies walk around in the water in many places.
You will get brown superfast. You will need spf 50 all the time, and about 3 bottles of after sun lotion for ten days.male is a very modern city, people are very kind and friendly. I have actually been able to bring my Bible with me, but I had to show it on the border. There are so many good things about this island, I just don't have time to write it all. I have been to Bora Bora, Mauritius, Maldives before, but this was deffiniately my favourite holiday of all. It is very important that you will go with the one you truely love, that will make the whole experience even more amazing. There is no boredom possible on this island, people who write that simply don't read the daily activity guides that comes to the apartments daily. We have not noticed the aeroplanes that some people complained about. There were no noise at all. Our apartment faced male, it was not a problem. Wherewhere you go on the island you will see some sort of island nearby or warships far away. My husband loved them. These ships are far away. Please before you go, read on cone snails to recognise them and avoid them. We have seen two shells empty, but they are present in those oceans.

Room Tip: Take a torch for night time to be able to walk around. It is quite dark in the evening. Wear a pear...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Judit,

Thank you for staying with us on your honeymoon and sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor.
I am happy you enjoyed your holiday and got more impressions and memories you could expect. This makes me truly proud of the team. And it is an honor to know that your holiday in Kurumba Maldives was the favorite one along other island vacations you had before. It flatters and motivates us to achieve more and more.

I understand your comment about periods of rains which happen sometiems in the wet season in this area. However I still would like to admit that the air temperature during these periods is pretty much the same as during sunny days. And as you said it does not rain on daily basis – just time to time, when sun is on holiday. We always happy to offer more activities during these periods to our guests to keep them busy and allow them to try and enjoy something new. We cannot change the weather, but we can change your experience of Maldives.

It is a pleasure for us to be “better than a dream” as you wrote. Thank you for that and I hope to see you back to our island pretty soon.

Sunny regards,

Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This year, the family decided they wanted a 'stay in one place and relax' holiday. Given my penchant to extract the maximum out of the days set aside for our annual family vacation, this was a clear dictum to cease and desist from such hectic activity. After having visited the Andamans 6 years ago, it was time for another beach holiday. And Maldives as a possible destination came up immediately. That is when my troubles began - how do you choose from the 100+ resorts in the Maldives - most of which were occupying islands on their own ? And all being in the 4-5 star category ? The Maldives has nearly 1200 islands out of which only about 190 are inhabited, and is the planet's lowest country, with an average ground level elevation of 1.5 metres (4 ft 11 in) above sea level - with global warming causing concern about inundation of the country in the future.

After a couple of days effort in reading TripAdvisor reviews and ratings, I had narrowed down the list to about 8 resorts that looked most promising. I wrote to all of them and got a few quick responses, with Kurumba being one of the first. The fact that it was the first resort to be established in the Maldives, over 40 years ago, and still managed to get over 90% excellent reviews impressed me. Kurumba is now one of the 4 resorts managed by Universal Resorts in the Maldives. Their motto of "Under commit, over deliver" had me sold. The fact that they were one of the closer resorts to the airport which meant less travel and waiting time (and also lower overall costs) sealed the deal.

So, I booked two Beach Bungalows for my family of 4, for 5 nights. The booking process itself was fairly simple and was done over a couple of emails exchanged with the Kurumba Reservations office. Since there were only a couple of flight options from Bangalore (Air India and Sri Lankan) with Air India being the most convenient - time-wise, that part was also quickly done online.

So, off we went from Bangalore to Male (with Thiruvananthapuram being a mid way stop) and reached the Ibrahim Nasir International Airport at a vary convenient time of 10.30 am. On clearing Immigration, we were met by Rifan, who was manning the Universal Resorts counter at the airport. He was expecting us, and in a few minutes, we were on a boat headed for Kurumba. The hospitality started immediately, with the welcome offer of cold towels and water bottles on the boat. The boat ride was about 20 minutes and we caught our first breath-taking sight of Vihamanafushi island on which Kurumba is located.

Scenic Splendor : Kurumba means "Young Coconut" and the first sighting of the coconut shaped Vihamanafushi is that of a white sandy beach under a canopy of coconut trees. The 48 acre resort is criss-crossed with shaded pathways, with flowering plants on either side adding colour. The traditional architecture of the buildings with plenty of woodwork adds to the overall classic ambiance of the resort. Picture this - White beaches, with an overhanging of coconut palms, surrounded by crystal clear waters of an azure lagoon and protected by eco-breakwaters of weathered coral. Bliss ! The presence of an orchid nursery with a man-made waterfall adds to the charm.

Magical Moments : Early morning walks on the beach to watch the sunrise from the pier or jogs around the resort (in the case of Akash, our son); the first sighting of the reef shark pups and the feather-tail stingray, the acrobatic display of the spinner dolphins on the Sunset cruise against the backdrop of a rainbow embellished sky, the first taste of that yummy Coconut Sorbet which was the welcome offering in the reception, the experience of snorkeling around the house reef and encountering vast numbers of iridescent fish and corals, those showers that brought down the temperature - many were the magic moments on this vacation.

Interesting Activities and Excursions : We took the kind offer of Kurumba of one free excursion to go on the 2 hour Sunset & Dolphin Cruise. Just before the cruise, we had a sudden shower of rain, which stopped as abruptly as it began. The net result was a beautiful rainbow in the sky which lasted almost the entire duration of our Sunset cruise. It was against this backdrop that we spotted the school of gregarious Spinner Dolphins, which were to put on a scintillating display of leaps, flips and somersaults for the next 45 minutes. The setting sun in the midst of dark clouds was a spectacular sight to behold. The whole family undertook the Male tour, which gave us a historical perspective of the country and included all the major landmarks in a walkabout lasting an hour, leaving us with another hour to indulge in some souvenir shopping. Akash and I also took the Glass Bottom Boat tour around the island, giving us a view of the colourful underwater life around Kurumba. The Snorkeling (with kit that can be borrowed for the period of stay) and Art classes were wonderful pastimes. Missed the Snorkeling House Reef Tour, the Towel Origami and the Cooking demos, as the afternoon nap took precedence - but you get the gist - the staff at Kurumba try and make your stay engrossing, even adding additional activities to compensate for rainy days. Enjoyed the Wood Band and the Bodu Beru (local dance) performances at the Beach Bar on the last two evenings we were there. I noticed that all the little kids were also being kept busy and entertained by the Majaa Recreation staff with activities of their own. The watersports centre offered canoeing, windsurfing, water scooters and other sports activities in the lagoon. There is also a dive centre for those interested in signing up for a PADI course or diving sessions.

Lip-smacking Food : We signed up for Full Board, which meant all our meals were at Vihamana. The breakfast spread was amazing, and the staff at Vihamana (special mention must be made of Latheef, Lakmal, Elvis, Dhooma and Mausoom) also took care of our vegetarian requirements by providing one additional Indian vegetarian item for nearly every meal we had there. The range of teas and desserts on offer left us spoilt for choice. There are also 5 specialty restaurants, offering Indian, Chinese, Middle Eastern, Italian and Japanese cuisines, which we did not visit on this trip. I should think that opening these restaurants for lunch would give Kurumba guests more options.

Exemplary Service : From the moment we met Rifan at the Airport to the time we were sent off with a cheery "We look forward to having you back with us", we encountered exemplary service. The kind that makes you want to pay it back. Kurumba has 475 staff - almost a 1:1 Staff : Guest ratio. And their training programs must be amongst the best in the world, because every staff member looks you in the eye, smiles and offers a greeting. Their pleasure at being spoken to in their native tongue is heartwarming. The willingness to treat you like a personal guest at home is ubiquitous.

Supersmooth execution : This holiday at Kurumba went like clockwork. We were able to check into our rooms immediately inspite of early arrival; we had two bungalows next to each other, as requested. The checking out was very smooth, with all billing information ready and accurate. All activities started on time; the next days activity lists were printed and appeared in our rooms every evening promptly for us to plan our day. The Dolphin on the bed ensured change of bedclothes. Rooms were cleaned twice a day. The Doctor (appropriately named Dr. Sunshine), whom we had to consult once during our stay for a sunburn, had the required medicines handy. I understand that the Spa experience that Sandhya and Dhrithi tried out was just as efficient and enjoyable.

The first letters of the previous six paragraphs form the word SMILES. And that is what we returned with, after this holiday at Kurumba. As we were welcomed to the resort, the greeting was "Welcome to Paradise". This is as close as it gets.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ArunVisweswaran
Dear ArunVisweswaran,

Wow, that is a huge-great-beautiful review which deserves a lot of appreciation from our side! Thank you for giving such a nice feedback about our product, which certainly will be very useful for our guests to learn more about services we offer.

I am glad from the first step on Kurumba’s boat your journey started perfectly well and was such till the end. We offer to our guests easy access to paradise – just 10 minutes speed boat ride from the airport. The holiday starts just after clearing through customs with a range of experiences you described so well in your review. I am glad you managed to try out many different activities and entertainments and enjoyed all of them with your family.

Thank you for recognizing names of our team members. I am sure Rifan, Dr. Sunshine, Latheef, Lakmal, Elvis, Dhooma and Mausoom will be excited to read your feedback ( I wil make sure it is ppassed to them) and words of appreciation. Your review brought a wide smile on my face – you definitely gave the right heading for it.

I am certainly glad that you made the most of the evening entertainment and The Woods are certainly great entertainers.

Once again thank you for taking time to write your beautiful review and our happy and smiling team is looking forward to welcome you back to our home.

Kurmba Maldives
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Had a wonderful honeymoon stay on the island, and could have stayed for longer. Everything about it was perfect,the staff were so nice and friendly,made our stay perfect,the food in
the restaurants were so yummy, especially the tuna samosas and the the king prawns. Can't wait to go back again for my anniversary.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NorthEastCurryEater
Dear NorthEastCurryEater,

Thank you for a nice review your wrote about our property. I am glad you enjoyed your honeymoon and your overall experience was wonderful. It is a pleasure to know you can’t wait to be back to Kurumba for your anniversary – be sure we will keep the level of service up to make your next stay will as memorable as this one (or even more).

Sunny regards from your island paradise!

Dumfries, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Just returned from our honeymoon in Kurumba which followed on from a 4 night stay at a 5 star resort in Dubai. We were staying in a deluxe pool villa and were greeted at the island by all the management staff which was a lovely touch. We were then taken in a buggy to our room to check in which was also very nice and meant we could start enjoying out honeymoon straight away!
Our room was beautiful; being the humid season it was so handy having a swimming pool out your back door! There were maybe a few items that were a little tired, like the rug in the seating area which had a few stains on it but the rest of the room made up for that! The boy who cleaned our room was also lovely, so friendly and always did a great job.
We asked to be on the side of the island that faced the airport as that is where the majority of restaurants and bars are so we wanted to be close to them. The noise from the planes is barely noticeable and I quite liked watching them coming in to land and taking off!
We were all inclusive and being in a deluxe pool villa we ate in the Kurumba Cafe at breakfast which was a mix of table service and buffet and was fantastic. The food was great, me and my husband had the same thing every morning - eggs benedict and the ocean grill which is their version of a fry up! The staff were so welcoming and attentive.
We also ate in each of the a la carte restaurants and the buffet restaurant and our favourite was definitely Ming Court, had a great selection of food and well worth the extra money.
Unfortunately, there were a couple of downsides to what was an otherwise perfect stay. Bar the staff in the Kurumba Cafe, the majority were very inattentive. It normally took a long time to get drinks no matter where you were, the problem being that the a la carte restaurants get their drinks from the main bar and when you are only ordering one drink at a time you can end up waiting 20mins in between drinks. There seemed to be a lot of standing about and chatting, it also seemed that if you were polite and said please and thank you waited longer for things than the people who moaned and were loud.
The setting is perfect, the room was amazing and the food delicious but I just don't think the staff are up to the standards of other 5 star resorts that I have been to which is a shame because for the money we paid it would probably put me off going back.

Room Tip: We had room 277 - gorgeous and only 2min stroll to the restaurants and the bar.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sarah151108
Jason K, General Manager at Kurumba Maldives, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear sarah151108,

I appreciate time you took to write you review and value our facilities. I am glad that in general your honeymoon went well and you started enjoyed it from the first step on our beautiful island. Definitely you did the right choice by booking Deluxe Pool Villa – the stunning accommodation type which can satisfied everyone. It is so enjoyable to relax by the own pool area and have some privacy. I also appreciate you recognized the service of our housekeeping team member – please rest assisted I will pass your feedback to the department to praise the staff.

Unfortunately I was disappointed to learn that in the bar you did not get high quality service and be sure I will look into it and have a chat with team members to check what happened to improve the service. The satisfaction of our guests is our major goal and daily priority.

I hope the rest of things and little touches made your stay wonderful and we will be always happy to greet you back to our island.

Mumbai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

This resort just a short boat ride away from Male, although one of the first resorts in the Maldives, is very well maintained.
From the first welcome with coconut fragranced towels as you alight the boat to the very welcome coconut sorbet at the reception the check in is super smooth.
The rooms allocated to us 211 and 217 ( we were two couples ) were fitted with the very best of fittings and just a stones throw from the beach.
The La Cucine serves an excellent Itallian fare.
The service level across the board is of an excellent standard and one is always made to feel welcome.
All in all a wonderful stay in one of the most picturesque locations in the world.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shabz52
Dear Shabz52,

Thank you for writing a review about your holiday and I am happy you had a wonderful stay. As well allow me to thank you for recognizing service in our Italian restaurant – I am sure your words will be appreciated by the whole team. I am glad in general you liked everything from the start of your journey to Kurumba till the end and I hope it will inspire you to visit our property again one day.

All our team is sending sunny regards to you to Mumbai!

Kurumba Maldives
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vihamanafushi
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Velassaru Maldives
#1 of 1 in Velassaru Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,567 reviews
Anantara Veli Maldives Resort

Been to Kurumba Maldives? Share your experiences!