“Honeymoon stay”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vihamanafushi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Honeymoon stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

we stayed here in the month of may for 7 days!!! it was our honeymoon and they indeed made it special for us...its a lovely resort....wen we landed we were met at the kurumba counter by a very friendly representative and it took us precisely about 10 mins catamaran ride to the hotel....it was a very comfortable ride.....on arrival they guest relation representatives welcomed us with a big smile which made us feel great!!! we were allocated room 217 which is on the west side of the island and one of the best locations to stay...it is about 10 mins walk from the reception but u can always ask for them to come get u in their golf cart and if available they always oblige....our room was jst 10 steps away from the beach....super location....west side of the island is pretty quiet..feels like ur own private beach.....the view is amazing with the ocean and few far away islands......during our stay, their famous ocean grill restaurant was under construction and hence, they offered us 1 complimentary excursion which was great ...they also had a happy hour every evening for 1 hour at their beach bar.....which was grt!!!....they also arranged for a honeymoon dinner for us .....however we wanted to try a meal at their japanese restaurant...it was fully booked....myat su the guest relation supervisor helped us and got a table booking arranged for us...we were lucky to get all their help..she was great!!!
the staff at this resort is jst too good...they really know the meaning of customer service....the meal at the lebanese restaurant not that great and a little expensive....the other restaurants are good..we were on half board basis and the buffet dinner is satisfying...the menu changes every night so u dont get bored of eating the same food.....
the japanese restaurant is a must visit..their tepanyaki is grt....it is a fun and entertaining meal....make sure to make a reservation as it is very popular with all d guests....the house reef is good with lots of marine life ..corals ...
One negative: room 101-106..it doesnt have a direct access to beach...it is situated next to the reception...so u will always be disturbed with the arriving boats and guests etc...jst avoid these rooms...
some of the staff I would like to mention for their recommendable service:
Myat Su- guest relation supervisor..Polash- always smiling and always helpful....Riyaaz-who took us for our snorkelling trip...Saeed, Upul & Sudha - Beach Bar...Himmat & hussein- Vihamana and last but not the least momo- our scuba diving instructer.....
all in all an amazing trip and would recommend kurumba to all.......

Room Tip: rooms on west side of the island or jst around the sand bar.....our room 217 ideal location for some...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChetnaVC
Jason K, General Manager at Kurumba Maldives, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Good afternoon Chetna,

Wow and what an amazing review. You have certainly made me smile and I know the team will be delighted. I certainly agree that Tappenyaki is a fantastic experience and I agree to book early. WE also appreciate grateful guests and we are glad that you liked the extra services because of the Ocean Grill upgrade.

In terms of 101 -106, we actually use these for crew rooms which we have a year round fixed contract so our future guests will not have to worry about being allocated in these rooms.

Thank you for highlighting Myatsu, Polash,Saeed, Upul, Sudha, Himmat, Hussein and Momo. I know they will be delighted to be recognised.

Again, thank you and look forward to catching up again next time on our Indian Ocean home.

Kurumba Maldives

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (976)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sofia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We've been at Kurumba island for a week on March and could say,that is worth to visit.There is a good choice of restaurants and bars,nice beach area,large rooms and friendly service.
Definitely,we'll come back again!!!

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Gigigag,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we certainly appreciate your positive feedback. It is one of our key goals to invest more on our guest service and allow for positive word of mouth to do its work.

Maldivian regards,
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

The beach is relaxing and the water was in a perfect temperature. I saw a turtle, a baby stingray and baby sharks in the beach. That was awesome. During a snorkeling safari our group could see some bigger sharks and also a great variety of fishes.
The resort offers a different attraction every day as an acoustic show in beach during sunset….so cool. The other day they offered a complementary wine tasting in the beach…One can always find a different thing to do in Sand Bar. They have a karaoke bar and one night they prepared a DJ night with the dance floor outdoors by the Beach Bar.
I choose the ‘all-inclusive dine around’ so I didn’t have to bother about the place to eat or what I could or not drink during the day. I thought that was smart as I could try different restaurants while I was there and I didn’t have to leave the beach because the lunch time would finish.
The employees are very friendly and helpful. The resort offers a complementary bottle of wine when you arrive.
The resort is very close to the main island (Male) and the airport hence you can benefit from a short transfer from the airport to the resort (which is good to whom is afraid of airplanes) but it does not make it a perfect scenario as you can see the airplanes landing and taking off and the waste incineration from the resort. It is a busy surrounding.
One thing I would change is the lack of air-condition in the bathroom. I love the fact that you can shower outdoors but it a bit uncomfortable using the restroom with all that hot weather. I would put a glass next to the bathroom and an AC on it. And I think it would prevent that small bugs and lizards getting into the room. Not that it concerned me but some people can feel disturbed about it.

Room Tip: Rooms far from sand beach are more private but you’ll be far from the attractions.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GigiBahamas
Dear Gigi,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and my apologies for any shortfalls in our service. It is certainly our intention to please our guests. Yes, the location is only 10 minute from the airport and our goal is to offer our guest more choice, more inclusions, more entertainment and better value than our competitors further afield. I am glad that you appreciated the extra touches, the DJ nights.

Outdoor bathrooms are quite common in the Maldives through we are looking to do some upgrade works in there in the near future and will certainly note your comment.

I do hope that you had a pleasant trip home and we do look forward to welcoming you back one day soon.

Kind regards,
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Having just returned from a fantastic week at the Kurumba we cant wait for the next visit. The staff and management are truly excellent at what they do and nothing is too much trouble for them. You cannot single anyone person out as they are all very helpful
We can honestly say it is like 'Heaven' very relaxing and just a fabulous place to be,
Thanks to all at Kurumba we will see you again soon
Paul & Chris

Room Tip: Deluxe Bungalow is superb
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul M
Good afternoon Paul and Chris,

It was a pleasure to meet you both and thank you for your kind words. I am sure the team will be delighted to read your trip advisor review. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to your Maldives heaven.

Maldives
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I went for a short honeymoon trip with my wife. Everything about the hotel was fantastic. We really enjoyed the week that we spent at Kurumba Maldives. exceeded expectations, an experience that we will not forget....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Mohamed Miqdad,

Thank you for taking the time to write your first ever trip advisor review and we are delighted that you had a wonderful honeymoon. We certainly hope to welcome you back for many anniversaries in the future.

east yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have just returned from our 2nd 2 week stay at kurumba, we were almost a little nervous to return - could it really be as lovely as we remembered? Yes!! I can only echo all the great reviews on here particularly about the wonderful staff and would whole heartedly recommend this resort. We requested the same deluxe beach bungalow as last time (255) which they were able to fulfil. Most people seem to recommend the area around the sand bar but we love the east side of the island which is next to the really posh villas that have more beach space making it feel much quieter - not that the rest of the island is overly busy, but you can be out all afternoon around 255 and barely see a soul, it's so peaceful yet closer to the restaurants and far enough around the corner to be facing away from male. True you don't see the sunset on the east side but it's a only short stroll to the sand bar where you can watch it with a cocktail or two, followed by possibly the best walk home from the pub there is in the world along the pristine shore! The choice of restaurants is great, we ate quite late, around 8.30, so decided what mood we were in on the night and booked before going for a couple of pre dinner drinks and didn't find this a problem. We realise the food is imported but did find it expensive for what it was - mostly very nice but not truly exceptional, they sure know how to cook a steak though, that was beautiful every time and the fish and chips in the kurumba cafe was fantastic. Our favourite meal was in the sushi restaurant which you do need to book at least a day before, it was a great experience, Ronald our chef was very entertaining! The Premium restaurant (Ocean Grill) that we so enjoyed last time has been pulled down and a new 2 storey one is in the middle of being built, but the only real noticeable disturbance is around the main buffet restaurant, it's all nicely screened off though and you can't hear a thing around the pool (where there are always plenty of loungers available), on the beach or in the rooms so it won't spoil your relaxing at all. Freebies were being offered by way of compensation in the form of excursions and drinks at certain times which was such a nice touch. There've been quite a few improvements since our last visit 3 years ago, the Kurumba Cafe looks great and new outside dining areas have been added at the other eateries. The entertainment was much more varied and really good, plenty of people up and dancing this time but you can just watch or easily find a quiet corner if that's not your thing. The free wifi was a great addition and was surprisingly efficient. The rooms are lovely, very clean with very comfortable beds and good black out blinds, in fact we slept a bit too well on several occasions and missed breakfast! I will repeat a little bit of advice from an earlier members post to anyone with long or thick hair, take your own hair dryer! The ones provided are ok but not that powerful and are attached to the wall in the beautiful semi open and therefore un air conditioned bathroom so I'd imagine drying your hair to be a rather sweaty affair if you used it. Another tip for returning guests is to take advantage of their loyalty program, having spent 2 weeks there last time we qualified for 10% off food, drink, spa treatments and excursions which was very much appreciated. The only grumble I have is that on check out the member of staff that took payment for our final bill was rather rude, we'd stayed b&b so the final amount was almost as much as we payed for the holiday. Half way through the transaction he took phone call and just gave us a nod and mouthed the word "thanks" without a smile and that was that! He was the only exception to the rule though - absolutely everyone else, including the gardners and house keeping staff were fantastic - so friendly and attentive, we rarely had to leave our lounger for food and drinks around the pool, the staff in the Chinese and Italian restaurants greeted us like old friends, the bar staff were absolutely great, many thanks to you all. Extra special thanks to marvellous Mueed at the premium breakfast, Ahsan in the cafe and Nathalia in the bar who all looked after us extraordinarily well - lovely, lovely people! The beautiful thing about Kurumba is that it's relaxed, unpretentious luxury and that there are people of all ages, shapes, sizes, faiths and nationalities together on a tiny island in the Indian Ocean, all just having a wonderful time..... Sigh! We hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: Rooms on the east have a very quiet stretch of beach.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jason K, General Manager at Kurumba Maldives, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Good evening Paul,

It is always a pleasure to welcome you back and thank you for you kind review. I certainly greatly appreciate that enjoyed the previous upgrades. We are certainly looking forward to this continued improvements but never want to loose sight of our heritage and what makes Kurumba special.

I greatly appreciate that you have highlighted Ronald, Mueed and Natalia and they are certainly great team members.

As were were upgrading Ocean Grill (will be called Thila), we did try to go above and beyond and giving some extra items for our guest. I am certainly glad that the major works are now behind us and only a few weeks until we relaunch Thila.

Again, thank you and we are certainly very grateful that you took the time to write your wonderful review.

Maldivian regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

First and foremost i would say that morning shows the day. I booked this on 10th June after speaking to Mr. Kruse who is the general manager of the resort. I was enthralled by the fact alone that he responded personally and helped me book the days. My only regret now is that due to work I am can't stay longer. Let me explain.

Me and my wife are into island holidays and we have been to quite a few including bora bora and tioman. Last trip was tioman which perhaps set our expectations low. When I booked kurumba I had no idea what to expect. Of course the ratings are great - but it's not always true as we learnt in tioman. Now I came here expecting nothing so when I could not see Hussain waiting for us in the airport I wasn't too bothered. Called the hotel turned out the guy was waiting for us at the arrival with a big sign which we didn't notice. Even though it wasn't his fault he apologised and most of all the guy was so helpful in every way I had to thank him. I have never met someone that friendly just because and I thought that was it. We saw the boat and we both were amazed. It was big, safe, and air conditioned!! We were welcomed with welcome drinks and towels to clean us up after the long journey and the friendly staff Mohammed gave us a little tour of the land while coming here. And he was genuinely interested to speak to us!! No seriously it felt heart warming!

Then we were welcomed by the beautiful island where Eli welcomed us with wonderful ice cream and drinks and a heart warming smile. She was amazing giving us a lay of the land for the total resort. And I have to say that she was just ... Great. My wife and I were at ease within seconds.

And then I got in the room.

This is seriously a proper room. For the price that we are paying this is a steal. Large tv, fan Ac were just the beginning - we had a welcome wine bottle with welcome drink from the party that they had earlier!!! We weren't in the damn resort and yet they thought of us!! They have thought of every little details - ironing board, all the drinks I want, complimentary coffee and even a life jacket!!! A LIFE JACKET IN CASE ANYTHING GOES WRONG IN THIS PARADISE.

and this is just few hours in. Literally.

Guys I love this place. I can honestly vouch that this is the best resort I have been in. And the start was amazing. I was so grateful that I had to write this review. The oldest island still knows how to treat their clients and I would like to thank Jason, Ashish, Joynal, Eli, Hussain and Mohammad and all the resort of the team for amazing experience that will only get better I'm sure.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kamran S
Hi Kamran,

We are so glad that we live up to your expectations and the many reviews that read before you arrived It is certainly our intention to create a great guest experience for our guests.

As you could tell, somethings are not always perfect in paradise and I am so glad that you were able to see the positive side. From what the team have told me, you certainly made some great friends and your positive and outgoing nature was certain led liked by our team.

Thank you for highlighting Mohammad, Hussain, Eli, Ashish and Joynal. As I am sure you are aware, a manager is only every as good as his ten and honestly, I feel very blessed with the team at Kurumba.

Again, thank you and we can not wait to welcome you back.

Kurumba Maldives
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vihamanafushi
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Velassaru Maldives
#1 of 1 in Velassaru Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,570 reviews
Anantara Veli Maldives Resort

Been to Kurumba Maldives? Share your experiences!