“Great stay with lots to do”
Review of Kurumba Maldives

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vihamanafushi
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed with Kurumba for 6 days and we enjoyed ourselves totally. The view from the beach in front of our room is so so and there is no water villas but it make up for these by the well organized daily activities. However, I wished that the management will put up signs to inform guest to register their interest for all snorkeling activities otherwise it may be cancelled. We were so disappointed when we turn up for one of the coral planting snorkeling activity and it was cancelled.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Jason K, General Manager at Kurumba Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Good evening Joyce,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and glad that you enjoyed our stay. We do put a lot of effort into creating a unique guest journey with many value ads for our guests.

To be honest, we ask for reservations in the compendium and daily newsletter. However, we are currently updating our arrival keycard holder and have added this to the new design.

In terms of the coral planting, the only reason we will cancel this is if the guest is unable to swim to the edge of the reef or the weather is poor. Both are for your safety.

My apologies for any shortfalls in our service and I have discussed your review at length with our recreation team.

Again, thank you and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back one day soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

From the moment we were met at the airport, to the moment we were dropped off on our return, all the staff at Kurumba were extremely helpful, friendly and professional.

We followed the simple instructions provided by the hotel to meet our pick-up on arrival at Male airport. From there we were swiftly transferred to a great yacht/cruiser to take us to the island.

The island is just as it looks in all the photos - beautiful & relaxing. There are plenty of water sports to do, including some free activities (snorkeling etc), plenty of restaurants (some of which are better than others, our personal favourites were Mahal & Al Qasr), and many excursions to choose from.

Also the hotel kindly provided a nice surprise for my birthday - a nice touch & very thoughtful.

Ultimately it's not cheap, as this is the Maldives, however Kurumba is good value for money & in the grand scheme of things, quite reasonably priced.

Would I go back again? Of course, it's a no brainer!

Room Tip: Deluxe bungalow was very nice & only a few meters from the beach
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scott O

Good afternoon Scotto,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Yes our arrival experience is quite unique as we have a policy of one boat, one plane which invests a bite more in our guest arrival process. The boats also do provide a nice luxurious impression.

Glad that you appreciated the extra touches and your birthday surprise. It is always our intentions to go above and beyond for our guests.

In terms of prices at the resort, the Maldives realistically only produces coconuts and fish for produce. All else is air-freighted and running self sufficient islands is certainly a little different than the mainland. We do however make sure that we check with our competitors and offer the best value for our guests. We also make a point to offer many more inclusions such as complimentary touches, social events, activities etc.

Again, thank you for the review and we do hope to welcome you back one day soon.

Maldivian regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We visited in March of this year.. Staff is unbelievably friendly and helpful.. Food is really delicious.. Water activities are available.. And best of all was the privacy of the pool.. Some resorts will tell you the villa's pool is private while it's actually just surrounded by a few bushes.. The private pools in kurumba were completely surrounded by a wall.. That was very important to me.. Another plus is how close the island is to Male, only 10 mins by boat.. Honeymoon or not, this resort is a must go!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Muthanna,

We greatly appreciate your review and I am glad that you have had a wonderful honeymoon. You certainly seems to make the most of your stay.

Agree that the team are the stars of the resort and they really do try to exceed our guest expectations.

Again thank you and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Having recently returned from Kurumba for my honeymoon I would simply like to write to you to thank you for a wonderful stay and mention a few areas and staff we found to be exceptional. My new wife, Natalie, and I enjoyed every part of our 10 days on the island. From the food to the accommodation (we stayed in room 160 a beachfront bungalow) to the staff to the amazing scenery we would not change one thing. As a guest in a wheelchair I found the facilities and access perfect for me and I have been on many trips to America where this is prevalent. The extra ramps I required were ready for me as we arrived at our room and this was greatly appreciated.

There are a few members of staff we found went above and beyond their duty and were truly exceptional. Firstly our room cleaner, Vipul. He was so friendly, always smiling and did a great job everyday twice a day and the flowers he laid our for us were such a lovely addition. Mega served us a few times for breakfast in the Vihamana and was very friendly - we both loved her. Hucen (or HH as I think he is known) spoke good English and made our few meals to the buffet enjoyable. But our favourite server was Mueed, in Kurumba cafe, he was professional, friendly and nothing was too much trouble for him. My only regret was not bringing dollars with me to tip these guys.

Also I would like to say a few things we found really added to our holiday that was a surprise. The coconut sorbet on arrival, the complimentary hire of snorkelling equipment, the honeymoon meal, the flower decorations in our room, on more than one occasion a complimentary cocktail (Jason very kindly offered us one when we met him). The dolphin tour which was included, the sports centre kayaks. All these aspects really made our stay from a 5* to the next level, which on my honeymoon I will always remember.

Jason, I am so grateful to you and your staff for all you did for us. Even a late checkout room was given to us as our flight was at 11pm. I can’t thank you enough. I also would like to say thank you for making such a trip, somewhere as remote as the Maldives possible and comfortable to me as a wheelchair user, as I’m sure you can appreciate places like Kurumba are a rarity and my wife and I really wanted to do something special for our honeymoon. Even the beach to water chair that was provided just made our stay so easy.

Room Tip: Delux beachfront bungalows are worth the extra money. We went for B&B option which was the best...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jambo1243

Dear Jambo,

It was a pleasure to meet both you and Natalie and we are super happy that you had such a wonderful honeymoon. We are so appreciative of your fantastic review and I am sure the team will be delighted to read.

I greatly appreciate that you have mentioned Vipul. Mega, Mueed and your Villa host. Do not worry about the tip and whilst they appreciate, they do greatly enjoy interactive and happy guests. So aI guess it is a win for everyone.

Glad that you made the most of the swimming wheelchair. As mentioned, we are looking of a few new initiatives in the coming 12 months that will greatly help wheelchair guests.

Again, that you and we do greatly appreciate the 5/5 review (we we are striving to deliver) and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

My husband and I just spent 4 incredible days in a Deluxe Bungalow in Kurumba, Maldives. We were 50 feet off of the beach facing the most incredible view of crystal blue water imaginable! The bungalow was very spacious, extremely clean, and equipped with an outside shower as well as an inside one. Showering outside really does give the feeling of true "island" living! The staff keeps the beaches pristine and rakes the "bungalow yard" daily. Upon returning from my birthday dinner, we found "Happy Birthday" spelled out in flowers on the bed. Thank you Housekeeping!!! We will definitely visit Kurumba again....and will even ask for the same bungalow!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jason K, General Manager at Kurumba Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear ChubbyMuggle,

Thank you for taking time to review our property. It gives me a good feeling to know you had a wonderful birthday celebration in our resort and fully enjoyed your stay. We know how important your special occasions for you and we would like you to know they are also very important for us and we really care about special moments in guests’ lives. I am glad you enjoyed a little surprise for your birthday as a flower bed decoration.

I agree so much – that is incredible to have an outdoor shower. Maldivian climate allows to enjoy the treatment during all year long and we know how much guests like our spacious open bathrooms – contemporary and natural view at the same time. We love sharing unforgettable experiences and even simple things can be amazing.

We all are excited you are looking forward to have you next stay in Kurumba and we will definitely be happy to welcome you back!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We love Kurumba! We were in Kurumba end of this June and we enjoyed a lot, the food and the services were beyond expectation and the environment is like paradise.. it is just so wonderful! Just a small tip on room selection, as this Alto is near the waste station - garbage station, as such u should choose a room from room number 180 above to avoid any unpleasant smell!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mandalyne
Jason K, General Manager at Kurumba Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Manalyne,

Thank you of retaking the time to write your review and I am glad that you had a wonderful time. My apologies for the odour from our recycling plant as we have been trying something new to increase our recycling. To be honest, if we can not overcome some of these minor issues, we may do away with the new initiative.

I hope that you had a pleasant trip back to Singapore and we do hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed here only a few nights as an addition to our 2 week Sri Lanka trip - what a way to end; great island super close to the airport so no complicated transfer, but far enough to get away from it all (although from the island you can still see the Male "skyline" in the distance). A 10 minute trip by private luxurious yacht got us to paradise.. what a place; nothing is too much to ask, first class check in, fabulous accommodation on the beach (with obligatory outside and inside shower), the snorkelling (our main interest) was superb, we spent most of the time under water seeing turtles, sharks and moray eels, and the entertainment laid on for the kids (cookies baking etc. ) was spot on. Not cheap (it´s The Maldives..) but absolutely recommended

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Travel_LX

Dear Travel LX,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and glad that you had a wonderful few days. Actually I find the skyline of Male' quite interesting at night. Glad that you appreciated the luxury boats and it does give a great sense of arrival. I guess this is the advantage of being close to the airport and that we have a one plane one boat policy that reduces wait times at the airport.

In terms of value, the Maldives is a challenging destination only being able to produce fish and coconuts. However we do make a very big effort to offer the best value for our guests and glad you appreciated all the extra complimentary touches and services.

Again, thank you of your kind words and we do hope to welcome you back again.

Kurumba Maldives

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vihamanafushi
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Mald...
#1 of 1 in Kandoomaafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Meerufenfushi
Baros Maldives
Baros Maldives
#1 of 1 in Baros Island

Been to Kurumba Maldives? Share your experiences!