I do not know where to begin - our stay at Kurumba was incredible! From the moment we stepped out of the airport we were well looked after - directed to the boat to take us to Kurumba with a very friendly rep. We were greeted with friendly faces on the boat and were offered water. As soon as we got to Kurumba we were taken to an air-conditioned room and given a very refreshing drink and checked in by ticking a few boxes - much easier then the usual pain of waiting in a que at a desk and then fussing about - instead everyone was checked in at once. We then were escorted by golf cart to our room and had a tour of the island on the way.
At first we were upset that we didn't have a beach-front bungalow as we had requested, but as the week went on we found it was better to be set back in the garden as you had the privacy but you could still walk to the beach in the space of 30 seconds. We had rooms 202 and 203 and they were incredible. Our rooms were incredibly clean and very spacious. We were blown away by the bathrooms - his and her sinks with an outdoor shower [we didn't use the indoor shower once in the whole week!] The staff were also very efficient - we thought that we had a double room and a twin room but when we walked in there was only one bed instead of two, so the staff promptly got a bed [a proper bed, not just a camper bed] and put it where the day bed/sofa was so that it was not in the way. Our bags also came to our rooms pretty soon after we got there which meant that we could get changed into our swimming costumes and jump straight into the sea. That was another thing, the island had walls with gaps in them about 40m out from the island - this allowed for the water just by the beach to be very calm and if you swam past the wall it would be a little choppier.
Happy hour provided a lovely setting with the sun going down just as we got there and the fish swimming just beside us. We then managed to try all of the restaurants except for the indian [as we had gone to the indian buffet at the main restaurant which was fabulous]. It has to be said Al Qasr was the BEST restaurant we went to and we noticed that both times we went there were only 2 other tables of people - this was a shame as the food was incredible! The chef was clearly VERY well trained as the delicate spicing of the meat was amazing! If you haven't got young children, a visit to the Japanese Tepenaki restaurant is a must! The chef has been trained in Tepenaki for 15 years and after watching him prepare all of our food and catching knifes etc. we most definitely went away entertained. The Chinese also provided excellent food and had a lot of character [as did the other 2 restaurants]. That was something that was quite special about all the restaurants was that you were stepping into a different one each night and it felt like you were somewhere else.
The breakfast buffet was fantastic - it catered for all sorts of different cultures as to what they would normally eat for breakfast.
The one thing I will stress though is the friendliness of the staff. EVERY member of staff I passed, be it a gardner to a manager of a restaurant, all at least smiled and said hello and asked how our visit was. And the saying pass on a smile surely had worked its way through this island as everywhere you looked you saw happy people.
I also went parasailing - in the balloon behind the boat - it was very professional and I would recommend it to anyone - you get to see the Maldives in a different light - and if you are lucky enough to get a thunder storm when you are there, try to take some pictures from your window or from the beach bar - it was absolutely fantastic [coming from someone who usually hides under the bed when thunder and lightning comes].
The only thing I would say is that we got quite badly bitten by mosquitoes so do come prepared for evenings.
So overall this was the most wonderful holiday - i would recommend it anyone if you just want to escape the hustle and bustle!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kurumba is Maldives' very first resort. Located just 10-minutes from the airport with luxury speedboat transfers available 24 hours a day. Explore our vibrant house reef. Relaxing on the white sandy beach. Swimming in our protected crystal clear lagoon. Treat yourself to an exquisite Maldivian spa treatment. Be energized with the daily scheduled activities, watersports, excursions or scuba diving. Be inspired by the Maldives culture, local food, art and dance. Nine styles of accommodation are spread amongst the island's lush tropical gardens. Eight restaurants, three bars, Maldives best nightly entertainment scene, Kurumba is a perfect holiday destination. Kurumba is the Maldives in Full Colour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Travel Republic (UK), Southall Travel, Booking.com, Destinology, Priceline, Holiday Gems, Travelbag, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Kurumba Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kurumba Maldives Hotel North Male Atoll
- Kurumba Maldives North Male Atoll
- Kurumba Hotel