“Paradise”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vihamanafushi
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2009

Almost five star, probably the place we would most like to revisit. Our jaws dropped to the floor when we entered our deluxe beach bungalow it was pure luxury and the rest of the holiday was the same, the staff couldn't do enough for you and the food was fantastic a different theme each night. Even the band sang "Pretty Woman" for my wife.
The fish are so colourful never seen anything else like it in the world.
We have since been back to the Maldives twice to Bandos and Olthuveli and Kurumba is the best. The Maldives make Maurituis looked like Blackpool.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (972)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
West Sussex, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2009

I have been lucky enough to stay at the Kurumba resort on many occassions on business trips. I also took my family on a visit-they loved it, the kids spent the entire trip in the water.

No, its not cheap and like most resorts Islands everything is priced in US$.

The Accomadation is very well appointed, comfortable and very stylish. Balcony or verhandah with day beds, every room has its own private garden with shower! (and that's just the basic rooms)During one of our trips Bill Clinton was in residence! -say's it all really. Quality all round.
Water is heated by solar. The island is sprayed every eve for mosquitos which is a bonus.
The resort is not massive, the accomadation is well set out in attactive grounds with wonderfull sandy beaches. The island takes about 20m to circum navigate on foot.

Wonderfull array and selection of restaurants, Italian, Indian, Chinese, Grill, Japanese-don't worry, they are small and select-and of course romantic.

All in all a wonderfull experience & one to recommend.

THINK ABOUT IT!
Imagine what it would be like to be stuck on an Island with limited facilities, all of a sudden a week seems like a lifetime and you cant wait to escape! (very common comment from Maldive holiday goers!)
Top tip if you want to visit the Maldives- spend as much as you can afford! Dont scrimp on your choice of resort...after all there is nothing else there! Life can be pretty awfull with just unheated sea water for showering and no a/c in that heat!! Also-many islands have more rock than white sand on the beaches!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank fordwater
Kiwi in England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2009

I do not know where to begin - our stay at Kurumba was incredible! From the moment we stepped out of the airport we were well looked after - directed to the boat to take us to Kurumba with a very friendly rep. We were greeted with friendly faces on the boat and were offered water. As soon as we got to Kurumba we were taken to an air-conditioned room and given a very refreshing drink and checked in by ticking a few boxes - much easier then the usual pain of waiting in a que at a desk and then fussing about - instead everyone was checked in at once. We then were escorted by golf cart to our room and had a tour of the island on the way.
At first we were upset that we didn't have a beach-front bungalow as we had requested, but as the week went on we found it was better to be set back in the garden as you had the privacy but you could still walk to the beach in the space of 30 seconds. We had rooms 202 and 203 and they were incredible. Our rooms were incredibly clean and very spacious. We were blown away by the bathrooms - his and her sinks with an outdoor shower [we didn't use the indoor shower once in the whole week!] The staff were also very efficient - we thought that we had a double room and a twin room but when we walked in there was only one bed instead of two, so the staff promptly got a bed [a proper bed, not just a camper bed] and put it where the day bed/sofa was so that it was not in the way. Our bags also came to our rooms pretty soon after we got there which meant that we could get changed into our swimming costumes and jump straight into the sea. That was another thing, the island had walls with gaps in them about 40m out from the island - this allowed for the water just by the beach to be very calm and if you swam past the wall it would be a little choppier.
Happy hour provided a lovely setting with the sun going down just as we got there and the fish swimming just beside us. We then managed to try all of the restaurants except for the indian [as we had gone to the indian buffet at the main restaurant which was fabulous]. It has to be said Al Qasr was the BEST restaurant we went to and we noticed that both times we went there were only 2 other tables of people - this was a shame as the food was incredible! The chef was clearly VERY well trained as the delicate spicing of the meat was amazing! If you haven't got young children, a visit to the Japanese Tepenaki restaurant is a must! The chef has been trained in Tepenaki for 15 years and after watching him prepare all of our food and catching knifes etc. we most definitely went away entertained. The Chinese also provided excellent food and had a lot of character [as did the other 2 restaurants]. That was something that was quite special about all the restaurants was that you were stepping into a different one each night and it felt like you were somewhere else.
The breakfast buffet was fantastic - it catered for all sorts of different cultures as to what they would normally eat for breakfast.
The one thing I will stress though is the friendliness of the staff. EVERY member of staff I passed, be it a gardner to a manager of a restaurant, all at least smiled and said hello and asked how our visit was. And the saying pass on a smile surely had worked its way through this island as everywhere you looked you saw happy people.
I also went parasailing - in the balloon behind the boat - it was very professional and I would recommend it to anyone - you get to see the Maldives in a different light - and if you are lucky enough to get a thunder storm when you are there, try to take some pictures from your window or from the beach bar - it was absolutely fantastic [coming from someone who usually hides under the bed when thunder and lightning comes].
The only thing I would say is that we got quite badly bitten by mosquitoes so do come prepared for evenings.
So overall this was the most wonderful holiday - i would recommend it anyone if you just want to escape the hustle and bustle!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Kiwi-LuLu09
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2009

My husband and I wanted a once in a lifetime honeymoon and chose Kurumba based on the good reviews and photographs. We chose a beach bungalow and I emailed ahead to request one facing away from Male on waters edge if that was possible for our stay (last two weeks of March 2009). We were allocated Room 161 which having looked around the Island we thought was one of, if not the best Bungalow so we were very grateful to the staff for fulfilling our request. The room was very clean and a good size. Our roomboy Ajmot did a great job of cleaning it twice a day and asking if we were happy with the room, he was very pleasant and courteous and we felt well looked after. One night we found the bed full of flowers and the bath full of flowers too to celebrate our honeymoon which was really lovely and special.

We went Full Board and although we were planning to eat in some of the restaurants with the 30% discount for FB guests, we ended up eating in buffet every night. There were two reasons for this: 1) the food in the buffet was delicious and the selection immense 2) the prices in the restaurants for food and drink were prohibitively high for us. The staff were exceptionally helpful and pleasant especially Jocelyn, Maya and Novi in the restaurant and Hilary in the beach bar who often asked us how our stay was going. Snorkelling was fantastic; we took our own snorkels and went beyond the sea wall to the edge of the coral to watch it dip away into the deep ocean. The sea life at this point is totally amazing. Word of warning though that do not attempt this unless you are a strong swimmer. We both are but on one occasion I got quite a fright when we realised the current was much stronger than we had thought and it took all my strength to make it back to the sea wall swimming against the drag. Really you are meant to not panic in those situations to avoid expending too much energy which I failed to do but got back in one piece in the end. It really shook me up and there are no life guards on the island. Was very cautious for the rest of the holiday to check on the current every few metres or so and continued to go right out to the coral edge again as it is was so beautiful. I also cut my knee on the sharp coral and the wound was hard to heal I think as bits of coral get stuck in the wound. Take some savlon and insect bite cream which I forgot as it is expensive on the island. I got on average about 2 new bites a day which were sometimes itchy and painful and sometimes not so bad. My husband did not get bitten once! I saw some guests with loads of bites but they were in the minority - not much you can do about that if you are tasty to insects except slather on the insect repellent. Had way worse in Thailand and other parts of the world.

The ONLY negative part of our holiday which had nothing to do with the hotel or staff itself, were the large number of Russian guests on the island. I don’t want to sound xenophobic here but they really are awful. I would say about 70% of the guests were Russian mostly families with vile and annoying children although their parents to be honest were just as vile and annoying. They were loud, rude and obnoxious on every level. They looked miserable the whole time which I just could not understand given the beautiful paradise they were enjoying. We often would smile, nod and say hello/ nice day or good evening to them on passing which was received with stony silence at best and a look of abject contempt at worst! Maybe they could not understand English and thought us saying ‘hello’ was an insult or something. We witnessed them being quite abusive and sullen to the wonderful staff who only deserved praise which really incensed me. I heard one waiter having to tell a Russian woman that the staff were “human beings and not dogs” after she consistently clicked her fingers at them and barked insults!! I was very proud of that waiter for standing up for himself!! The Russians were splashing their cash about considerably so I suppose in that respect they are good guests for Kurumba but not for fellow guests. I would honestly check in future on the number of Russians staying at the resort as it would influence by decision to return again which is a great shame. I have travelled extensively with fellow guests from countries all over the world and always love the mix of races and cultures this brings as it makes a trip so interesting. But for the first time this did not apply on this trip. Russian rant over.

I used the SPA twice and had a Balinese Massage and a Botanical Facial - both the best massage and facial I have ever had (and I have had a lot).

On the whole though, providing you are not swamped with Russians, you will have an amazing time here.

6 Thank resi78
Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2009

We visited the Kurumba resort for a two week honeymoon in March 2009. Having kept a close eye on tripadvisor before we left I though I should share our experience.

We booked a Private Villa for our stay as it was a honeymoon and on arriving at the room allocated it was clear it was not a PV as described and pictured on both Kurumba and Kuoni's websites. Having said that, as soon as we mentioned this to the Kuoni rep on the first day she arranged to have us move room the next day so we only spent one night in the room. If you are booking a Private Villa you might want to mention you do not want to stay in rooms 269 or 268 as these are attached, not private and considerably smaller than the rest of the PVs. The room we moved to was fantastic though and we had no complaints about it.

The island was very quiet and relaxing until into our second week when an influx of russian families with lots of children arrived and changed the atmosphere somewhat.
We were unlucky enough to end up with one such family in the Villa beside us and after three days being tortured by some of the worst behaved kids I've ever laid eyes on we mentioned it to reception who arranged for us to change rooms once again for our last two nights.

The room we moved to was a pool villa set back from the beach which wasn't ideal but we just wanted to relax for our last day. I have to say though that I would have been very dissappointed if we had paid the extra for the pool villa as the room was considerably smaller than our private villa.

One of the main reasons we booked Kurumba was due to the number of different restaurants as we love our food and we opted for the dine around option so we ate at all of them. The food was of a decent standard and we didn't have any complaints although if I'm honest I would have to say that they weren't anything special either (though we did love the Hamakaze teppen-yaki), perhaps we had our expectations set too high.

We didn't bother with any of the excursions as we were just there to relax and they didn't appeal but we did visit the Aquum Spa for a dual 'rendezvous' treatment and would recommend it highly.

It's a good Idea to bring your own snorkelling gear and I would recommend bringing an underwater camera as the sea life is incredible even whilst still in water shallow enough to stand in (more or less).

The staff were in general very friendly and did their best to accomodate any requests we had as quickly as possible.

I won't go into the aircraft noise issue raised in other reviews but it didn't bother us at all.

In the end the main issues we had were out of the hotels control, i.e. the annoying kids, and they did their best to make up for it but we still feel that when we eventually return to the maldives it will be to somewhere less likely to be teaming with kids and somewhere a bit smaller so as to experience more of a personal touch.

4 Thank PabMac
Hertfordshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2009

We travelled to Kurumba in February this year for a relaxing getaway from our busy working lives. Having sampled the delights of the Caribbean and Mauritius (amongst other destinations) we chose to venture to the Maldives this year and were not disappointed. This island is a truly magical destination and others a fabulous combination of excellent service, superb accommodation and a chance to relax in the most beautiful surroundings. We cannot speak highly enough of the quality of service this resort provides and the laid-back atmosphere which ensures a truly relaxing and enjoyable stay which we only wish had lasted longer.

On researching our preferred location we could have been put off by the handful of negative reviews on tripadvisor which refer to "excessive" aircraft noise due to the proximity to Male airport. Like us, do not let this dissuade you, as this island offers so much as a fantastic holiday destination that the occassional sea-plane flying overhead only adds to the charm. We look forward to returning to Kurumba soon.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amagoza
greece
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2009

The rooms were large but not clean.The prices were expensive and th portions small.
The last day they locked our mini bar . We didn't have cool water to drink. We had to carry pillows and towels for the sun decks even 100 meters distance from our room. The wardrobe smelled awful .We kept our clothes in our luggage during our stay.

7 Thank depiGreece
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vihamanafushi
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Velassaru Maldives
#1 of 1 in Velassaru Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,568 reviews
Anantara Veli Maldives Resort

Been to Kurumba Maldives? Share your experiences!