“Great! Although not the greatest...”
Review of Kurumba Maldives

Kurumba Maldives
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vihamanafushi
Reviewed 15 August 2010

Location
Pro: Because it is the closest resort island to Male, the transfer time on arrival is minimal. From touchdown through baggage reclaim, immigration and speedboat transfer to setting foot on the island was less than an hour.
Con: Because of its position, Kurumba is effectively at the end of the airport runway. Expect the sound of airline traffic, as well as that of the frequent seaplanes all day. If your accommodation is on the S or SW aspect of the island (all of the Superior Rooms and some of the Deluxe Bungalows) you will also have a rather unlovely view of the high-rises of Male and the commercial shipping at anchor.

Rooms
Pro: If you are lucky your room will have a beautiful strip of beach with your own designated loungers and cushions a few steps from your door. Beach towels are delivered daily to your room. I stayed in a Deluxe Room which was solidly made with nice fittings and with everything you’d expect. The open-air wetroom with shower and bath was perfect for a beach holiday. I can recommend the location of Room 241 which is also ideally situated for those great Maldivian sunsets.
Con: In places the vegetation grows right down to the waters edge. If your room is adjacent to these areas, you may not have such an idyllic spot. Some rooms further inland have no sea view at all.

The Island
Pro: The grounds are maintained by a large staff on a daily basis, sweeping, grooming, pruning etc to keep the place looking immaculate. While I was there they were also spraying insecticide and using smoke generators regularly, which didn’t stop myself and others from being eaten alive but maybe that’s the price for visiting in the rainy season. The barriers that have been built along the reef form a nice shallow lagoon where those who are new to swimming or snorkelling, or are not confident in the open sea can indulge themselves. There is some decent coral and plenty of colourful fish to see here, as well as the baby sharks and rays that relish the shallow waters. Outside the barriers you are immediately into a Jacques Cousteau world teeming with underwater life, although with the SW monsoon blowing it did get a little choppy on occasions.
The reception area, restaurants and bar are clean, tidy and well laid out.
Cons: I would have preferred some kind of bar where people could congregate, or maybe a swim-up bar for use during the day. With waiter service for everything I found it didn’t really give guests the opportunity to mingle and create their own atmosphere. Maybe the majority have no interest in mingling. If anything, for this reason I found the ambience pleasant but a little flat.

Staff
Pro: Without exception I found the staff to be very polite and friendly, right through from the gardeners, the house boy, waiters and admin. If there have been problems with staff in the past as highlighted by other reviewers, they were not evident to me. Our house boy was charming and efficient and our room was attended to with speed and efficiency twice a day. The older, more experienced staff (here I will mention Hillary and Akter in particular) were immaculate in their helpfulness and attention to detail.
Cons: The difference between the older and younger waiting staff was marked. Whilst polite enough, many of the youngsters seemed rather hesitant and intimidated.

Food & Drink
Pro: In general I found the food to be of a good standard. There are certainly enough restaurants of differing styles to suit most tastes. The breakfast buffet in the main restaurant was very good.
Cons: The food and drink prices are toe-curlingly expensive. This rankled particularly on a couple of occasions when I didn’t believe the serving offered anything like value at such inflated prices.

In Conclusion
I had a great two weeks and was lucky with the weather (only 2 real daytime storms). The snorkelling was sensational and I loved the way the island was being kept and maintained.
The islands own website uses words such as “seclusion” and “serenity.” Due to it’s proximity to Male I would describe these claims as somewhat misleading. Kurumba has plenty going for it, but the feeling of being detached from the outside world is missing, especially if you have experience of other more remote Maldivian islands.

Kurumba must be careful with it’s pricing. If top prices are to be charged then consistency of quality and service must be a given. I felt at times they sailed a little too close to the wind on these matters. As for wanting $80 for a 2Gb SD memory card in the shop – you can imagine where I suggested they stick that!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Goalhanger
Write a ReviewReviews (3,742)

Reviewed 10 August 2010

i am finally writing a review after just booking to go to kurumba in october for the third year in a row. you must go! this place is to die for. after arriving at male airport and getting your bags, you are swiftly whisked off to kurumbas private boat and with a few others, are taken to the island. the transfer time is only about 10 minutes and do not be put off by being so close to the airport, the island is quiet and you'll be glad to be enjoying your holiday so quickly. when you arrive, you are greeted by friendly staff, taken to be seated whilst you enjoy welcome drinks and a refreshing face towel. bags are taken care of and you are transferred to your room on a golf type buggy and made comfortable. we stayed in one of the bungalows on the beach and they even found out our old room number from the previous year so we could stay in the same hut. the bungalow had a lovely view. the two storey rooms do not seem to have such a good position on the island, although i'm sure they are just perfect. the island is personal to the hotel and can be walked around in a very small amount of time. the beach is spotless and sea oh so clear. you get your own personal sunbeds on the beach with the numbers on and there's plenty of room so no invasion of personal space. choose a spot under the palm trees or next to the sea. the sea is calm with breakers built, perfect for snorkelling over the coral reef. and you don't need to go swimming to see the fish!!! stand on the jetty or have a drink by the bar and watch the resident heron, crabs digging holes in the sand, beautifl fish and reef sharks swimming by. the food and drink is THE BEST, catering for all of your tastes. there is a wide choice of soft and alcoholic drinks, i recommend the cocktails, particularly the mojito and long island ice tea and the good thing is you don't need many ;) we stayed on the dine around package and i would definately recommend this! this includes all of their a la carte restaurants. we only ate at the main buffet restaurant for breakfast and the first night but it was brilliant, fresh food and wide choices. all of the a la carte restaurants were superb. the one that stands out the most for me was the ocean grill with its perfect location next to the beach. the steak is melt in the mouth and the seafood as fresh as it comes. the service in all of the restaurants is peronal and they soon remember where you like to sit and what drinks you like. i cannot fault this beautiful resort and to stay there is a must!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank lisacarvey
Reviewed 25 July 2010

It feels like ages ago, but just got back from kurumba two weeks ago. We stayied for a week at kurumba. ok I don't want to be critical, i will try not to.

1-Check trip advisor before you travel, a few tips from other holiday makers can be very useful and try and use them...

Ok ... Lets start..

Arrival: It is very close the airport (approx10 minutes boat ride) which was very good. Greated by Annusha at the front desk, then we were taken to our Dulex bunglow (email before hand as some of them face the main Island male). we had great one, the weather was great considering its Late june and early July.

Accomodation: We stayed in a Dulex Bunglow . Few steps away from the sea. It was very good, outdoor shower was great actually fantastic. Room service was good, our room service guy Bashir was very good. (Tips are always handy).

Food: Enjoyed the lobster at the ocean Grill, but my faviourite was the Indian Mahal, it was very good, service is second to non, and staff are very curtious. We tried all of them but these two stood out. Over all they were good, except for the Italian didn't enjoyed as much even a couple were dining with us they were not overally impressed. Some my beg to differ. Tips is highly recomended.

The beach and the sea was great, others would say the plan noise may be a put off for some. I didn't think it was noise at all, few taxi plans and thats about it. So not put off for me. Baby sharks wan't be missed.

Kuoni were very good, This place is far we stopped in Dubai on the way for 3 days. On the return we changed plans and then back in the UK.

this place is really nice retreat..away from busy life and work. Don't ibe surprised f you see families with childern...didn't like that much but didn't bother me too much. Definitly, it is not the secluded Island feel to it but it is big Island so i would assume Kids wan't bother too much.

Last but not least, some may disgreebut getting to kurumba was much more expensive than dining and eating out around the resort. We went B&B so we can try different resturants. I though it would be expensive, i was prepared. We spent around $100-$120 US ( based on 2 peaple) a night on food (main courses mainly). Ocean Grill was around $ 130 for 2 (no starters). Indian Mahal ( 3 main courses around $100- $110), and it is fillling and delicious, all is excluding any alcholol. Alcohol, is expensive mainly wine. Beer is aorund $6 bottle for a bottle of corona.

Overall, it was a beautiful place and excellent staff, it has exceeded my expectations. i will definitly try go back again .

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PowerhorseLondon
Reviewed 23 July 2010

Plus points:
1. Absolutely brilliant coming from London weather.
2. The water
3. The diving seems to be in the top 10.
4. The outdoor showers are nice.
5. The fish and coral. Even for non swimmers you can see reef tip sharks around the shallow waters and i think once a week, they hunt in packs for sardines...very exciting. Also, i think kurumba has an advantage of a house reef just outside the sandbank borders. The waves arent too choppy and you're unlikely to be dragged out to the open, but the coral there is home to so many creatures, u can get very up close. they seem to be used to tourists.
6. You should probably opt for a downstairs room as you can just walk out to the beach.

Minus Points:
1. The cost of food is fairly high. The best bet is to go for the seafood pizza or scallop linguini at lunchtimes which are roughly 22US dollars, but they're the best pizza/spagetti ive ever had. If they had those options at dinner i would have it again hands down.
2. There is an occasional plane crossing overhead since the airport is 5mins by boat but it doesnt really inconvenience that much, once or twice a day, none on some days.
3. can get boring after a while if you dont like sitting on a beach/snorkelling/diving/spa.

Any further questions or queries on the place, msg me.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank muffinshanks
Reviewed 23 July 2010

We needed some time out after a particularly bad year, so we booked a last minute holiday to chill out. Kurumba was our choice.
We had dismissed Kurumba over the years because of its close proximity to the airport, wrongly as it turns out!
It was great being in the resort quickly and enjoying the facilities soon after landing after a 10 hour flight. We have transferred by sea plane many times, and it is thrilling, but for us it was about the arriving this time, and not about the getting there. The 10 minute speedboat transfer was fantastic.

Kurumba is a very special place, having travelled to many islands over the years; you already know the Maldives islands are special. But Kurumba went that extra mile for us. We were Greeted on arrival by the staff, and given cold drinks and refreshing towels.

Our room was booked as ‘Run of House’ because it was a late booking a fortnight before we travelled. We learned ‘ROH’ is the best room available on arrival, so we were given a deluxe bungalow. When Ibrahim showed us to our Bungalow 164 we weren't keen on the location - set back a little in a retreat area, it was a bit stifling. (Purely personal taste) We asked if there was anything closer to the water’s edge and breezier. He took us to a reception computer and checked out what was available. He then showed us to what was to be our room for the week; it was a deluxe bungalow, right ON the water’s edge. Job done!!
Our bungalow was perfect and very private. With our own Tiki hut steps from our bungalow. We had sun loungers allocated with our number on, our closest neighbour was a couple of tree’s away either side. And laying in bed you could see and hear the waves lapping on the beach. With Baros and the president’s island in the distance in full view. What a picture!! We have arrived!! Bliss!

The bathroom, as said by previous reviews, was amazing. An Inside shower, glass bricks and glass door, and a fantastic outside shower, large tub inside with his and hers sinks, and all spotlessly clean, also a hairdryer and a very large magnified mirror. All the body/hair wash and lotions you need. Complete with white fluffy bath robes and beach towels.
The Bungalow had a huge comfortable four poster bed and a large dressing area,. Also there was a safe, and a fully stocked mini bar. Plenty of tea and coffee, and a kettle.

The HB option was perfect for us, we had the choices of everything in the Vihmana restaurant. And although we don't normally like Buffets, this was an exception to the rule; the food was always fresh, and replenished frequently by the many chefs at their stations. Who were very proud of their food. Each evening there was a theme, our favourite was Maldivian night, but also the Mexican and Italian was very good, there was a salad of the day, Caesar was fab. Breakfast was equally as appetizing; Eggs cooked to order, never a queue of more than about 4 people waiting, we chose omelettes, toast and the fresh fruit prepared in front of you. But the choices were enormous, cold meats – cheese, cereals, buns, cakes, pastries, hot food – waffles, pancakes etc etc...
Lunch for us was a bag of crisps on the beach loungers and a beer from the beach shack along the beach, we paid $6 for a corona, who, incidentally bring round orange juice to guests and melon kebabs, every day Free of charge. Also daily a very welcome cold towel while you are relaxing on the beach.

Yapa the Assistant Front Manager, and Faisal and Ibrahim in reception, were never too busy to say hello and enquire about your stay. Yapa gave us some fish food to attract the fish for photo takes at the pier. You are not supposed to feed them bread it’s bad for the fishes digestion.

Many thanks to Ismail (housekeeping), and our room boy for decorating our bed with petals. We weren't here for any special occasion so didn't expect flowers on the bed. But LOVED it though, have seen it before - but you can never tire of the special touches that make the perfect holiday.
We felt we were treated like royalty in this resort, but I DO know they treat every guest the same. Makes you feel very special.
As for our bungalow location we saw and heard the odd seaplane and jet, but very unobtrusive. Also the odd cruiser passing by going between the islands, again not obtrusive.
We didn't do any excursions this time; but we will be coming back later in the year for our wedding anniversary, next time for more than a week. So we left more to do on our return.

The snorkelling here is fantastic - turtles, stingray, parrot fish, black tip reef sharks, (which also swim around the shore, giving you a wide berth) and many more visual delights. The other resorts bring snorkelling excursions here, but it is never crowded, we only saw a max of 2 boats at the same time - a distance apart, you can ‘join’ them if you don’t have anyone to snorkel with and there’s a bit of a current, you can feel safer in numbers, so it worked out quite well.
This is while we were there in July, I don’t know what it is like at other times of the year.

No mosquitoes bit us, because we stayed mainly in the breeze and sprayed ourselves well. Other people did have bites though.
This is by far the best holiday we have had in years, if you read my other reviews you will see we choose our hotels very carefully before we go anywhere. They seem to get better and better, but this is the BEST!
But as lovely as it is, Kurumba is not JUST about the beautiful island, it is about the incredibly wonderful staff.
And we have left happy feeling we have made some friends here, and can't wait to return to see them again. Thank you everybody!
Any questions contact me, I’ll be happy to help.

5  Thank TheGlee's
Reviewed 14 July 2010

We were concerned by the few negative reviews this hotel has got, but at the same time preferred the options on this island in comparison to other islands in the Maldives. For example they have nine restaurants and a huge variety of different accommodations available. We decided to take a chance and are both absolutely thrilled we did so.

To start, I can only say that we rarely had to even ask for anything because the attention to detail in regards to service was absolutely perfect. All members of staff went out of their way to help us, for example, I require food to be gluten free. I mentioned this to our rep and asked only to have the chefs be made aware so as to keep flour out of any sauces etc. I did not expect any fuss to be made as that is what I am used to in European destinations (and alot of eastern destinations are not particularly familiar with coeliac disease). Our kuoni rep called for the catering manager to come and speak with us. That evening (only four hours later), they had made me up some delicious home made gluten free bread. The next morning I had cookies, they ordered in gluten free pasta, rice noodles, gluten free flour to make pizza etc etc... This is the first holiday I have returned where I am not sick. Every member of catering staff knew me and knew my needs. Personally, this was a bit embarrassing at the start (as usually i dont like a fuss being made of me) however I was very touched by the special concern and attention I received in regards to my food allergy.

In regards to food- I would definitely recommend the 'dine around' option. This is the half board option which includes breakfast and dinner in any of the nine restaurants. The variety was great and every meal was made from fresh ingredients. You wouldn't believe the flavour of the fruit and vegetables. The seafood is out of this world. This is one holiday where you are guaranteed fresh and healthy cuisine. The dine around option is a little more expensive however even if it's out of ones budget the food in the main restaurant (buffet themed food each night) is as fresh and delicious also. Considering everything has to be imported it is great to taste such fresh food.

Accomodation:
We stayed in the 'private villa' which is the one with the jaccuzzi out the back. They also have pool villas, deluxe bungalows, garden bungalows and suites. They have something for every person and also for every budget. In regards to others' comments about the view of Male, the private villas are the best location when it comes to views and beach. We stayed in 266 and found it to be very private, quiet and our beachfront was completely uncrowded and we had a direct view of the sea. I would definitely recommend this room and we will be requesting it the next time we go there (and yes- we will definitely be going back!). On the other side of the island there is a view of Male which is quite alien as it is a small city built on top of a paradise island. It isn't attractive however I would like to think that I would be spending my time looking at the lagoon or the beach or the sunshine. It would not deter me from returning but maybe, in advance of arrival, I would email the manager and request a room that is not facing Male. The thing is, if you want the best view, like all hotels you need to pay a little extra and we certainly feel it was worth it. However, if our budget dictated we would have no issues staying in one of the suites or bungalows as they were attractive also. There are some deluxe bungalows around the 117 area that are on the beach and are not facing Male.

AIR TRAFFIC: Yes there is air traffic but I am so surprised anybody found it invasive. I probably noticed maybe two planes a day but I think there were more. We were just so relaxed and enjoying this paradise to even notice. Plus, it takes a plane less than 30 seconds to land so to be honest I personally think a person is looking for problems if they would look at the air traffic as a serious issue. On a positive note, the island is only a short 10 minute boat ride which is so relieving after a 10 hour flight.

The island is uncrowded and has a wide variety of nations visiting. We liked this as it provided us with the feeling of really being away from it all. It also provided us a little bit entertainment watching the different cultures insult each other without realising it!

We never usually take beach holidays for as long as two weeks- we love mixing a little cultural, historical and activities to our trips and we decided on this place as a change. We were worried we would be so bored after a week but in reality the second week offered us the chance to relax down to a pace of living we have never experienced elsewhere- we had no distractions and truly had a great stay.

PADI- my husband did his PADI diving licence here with Sayed who was a brilliant instructor. He brought me out for an introduction and although I was terrified I felt really really safe as Sayed is a very confident teacher. My husband really enjoyed it and saw loads of sharks and a giant turtle and the set of finding nemo.

SPA- I had the Balinese 90 minute massage which cost $115. The spa treatments are quite expenisve but the massage was absolutely fabulous. I would highly recommend a treatment (or a few if you can afford it!!)

In regards to expense: it is very expensive here. One reason is that everything has to be imported. If you are all inclusive then you will not spend much money but if you decide you would rather the dine around option you will have to buy lunch. On average we spent about $100 a day and that covered lunch, drinks at lunch and drinks at dinner. If you dont mind eating at the same restaurant every night then stick with all inclusive but if you like variety and fine cuisine then the dine around option is probably for you. I think it's unrealistic to be surprised at the expense- the maldives is an expensive destination- it's expensive to get there, to stay there, to eat there and to shop there. That's why for the average working person it's classed as a once in a lifetime trip. For us, it was definitely worth it and we are hoping to push beyond the 'once in a lifetime' part of it.

Our airline was Monarch and flew direct from Gatwick- we recommend upgrading to premium which doesn't cost a huge amount extra but is WORTH it for the extra space, free drinks, no queues at the premium check in desk. Our agent was kuoni which we will definitely be using again.

4  Thank travelbugfromireland
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We have just returned from our second two-week stay at Kurumba and can honestly say that we weren't disappointed. It was as good this time as our first visit in 2006, if not better.

We flew with Emirates - definitely the right choice (flew with Monarch non-stop last time and what a complete disaster that was. The economy cabin was lacking in not only space but other comforts too...plus had to pay for all drinks - never again!!!!). With Emirates, there was a stop over in Dubai although this was only for 2.5 hours at the most each way. The planes are far more comfortable with a little more legroom in economy. The drinks are all free, with the cabin crew coming through 3/4 times during the flights wth extra drinks and water besides those with meals etc. The food wasn't bad at all etiher. Their entertainment system is very good too. Emirates, for us, definitely lived up to its excellent reputation.

Now the hotel - firstly, we must compliment and name check a couple of members of staff who just made the difference - Maya (Vihamana Restaurant - Ocean Grill and Hamakaze - she even remembered our room number by the second week!!!), Fernando (Vihamana restaurant, Kurumba Mahal - got to be the hardest working gent at the hotel!!), Mohamed (our room boy and an abolsute joy) and Beni (the magnificient chef at the Hamakaze restaurant). All of these individuals in particular shine for us as they all conduct themselves in a very dignified and professional way - always smilling, always pre-empting your needs - nothing was too much trouble, definitely a credit to the hotel. Must also add that all the other members of staff that we had dealings with, from the Spa to the waiters in the bars/restaurants and the guys that run the snorkelling trip (which is an absolute must) all deserve praise too as they are all great.

Prior to going we had email correspondence with Eilidh, the front office manager, and asked if we could have the same bungalow as before - 143. To our delight, we got it (thank you Eilidh). This bungalow faces Male which we liked and we don't mind the planes coming over or seeing the different ships and boats passing by. It all looks fab at night when all lit up! The room itself was great and given that from your front door to the water's edge you only have to walk 20 paces - in our eyes, perfection!

We enjoyed feeding the fish off the end of the jetty - you can now buy fish food from the shop. You get a wonderful variety of fish all wanting a share from beautiful trigger fish (including titans), unicorn fish and parrot fish - however, they are all weary of the friendly heron that has chosen the Kurumba as one of his fishing points - but he doesn't appear to be very good at it!!

We went on the hotel-run snorkelling trip. This was fantastic - they guys that take you are really knowledgeable and took us to two places, the last one being the reef just off Bandos island. My husband's holiday was made when we saw what we believe was a fully grown grey reef shark - it was certainly close on 2 metres plus in length. This was after seeing two white tip reef sharks at the previous site. The variety of marine life you see is incredible, from eels to butterfly fish - definitely a trip worth doing and it only cost $38 each.

The food in all the restaurants was excellent - we were on the Dine Around option which is half board, but you can eat in any of the al a carte restaurants. This was definitely worth paying extra for.

The weather wasn't amazing but that's what you should expect for the time of year. It rained more or less every day, in bursts but once cleared it was warm and a mixture of sunny / cloudy. But don't be put off by this - its certainly hot. The temperature didn't drop below 30 degress the whole time we were there and we've both come back with really healthy tans.

We both also had a Balinese massage in the spa on my husbands birthday. This cost $115 dollars each for 90 minutes. We both said that it was, without doubt, the best massage either of us have ever had. Definitely definitely worth the money.

The only other thing we did was relax and we believe that Kurumba is the place to do just that. We enjoyed our walk around the island back to our room after breakfast each day and that was all we really wanted to do...perfect!

We could say a lot more about how good this hotel and its staff is, but believe the main points for us have been covered. Yes its expensive - $3 for a small bottle of Coke - but you have to remember that a great number of the things that you eat and drink in the Maldives are imported so they will cost more.

All in all, definitely worth the money, and we're extremely glad that we went back here as the choice of food (6 restaurants) is second to none. Would we go again? Yes I believe so, but with so many other places in the world to visit, who can really say. Kurumba is a place to kick back, relax and enjoy the surroundings and the feeling of serenity they bring.

2  Thank MariaTheMidlands
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vihamanafushi
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Mald...
#1 of 1 in Kandoomaafushi Island
#1 of 2 in Bandos
Velassaru Maldives
Velassaru Maldives
#1 of 1 in Velassaru Island

Been to Kurumba Maldives? Share your experiences!