“Business Travel on a Budget” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Candlewood Suites East Syracuse - Carrier Circle

Candlewood Suites East Syracuse - Carrier Circle
Ranked #14 of 19 Hotels in East Syracuse
Baltimore, Maryland
“Business Travel on a Budget”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

If you are a cost-conscious business traveler, the Candlewood Suites in East Syracuse is a good choice. I found Marriott properties where at least $30 or more expensive in this area. This was my first stay at a Candlewood. It is more on the economical side than a Residence Inn but served its purpose. The room was OK cleanliness but was functional with a large desk so I could get work done. I ordered out from a local Jimmy Johns and they delivered VERY quickly - kind of like the commercials.

The rooms may need some updating in the near future - carpet especially. Good choice on a budget.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aubrey B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites East Syracuse - Carrier Circle, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Thank you for choosing the Candlewood Suites Syracuse and for taking the time to write a review! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. My team and I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Milford, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I am an IHG gold elite member and used some points to get a free night at the Candlewood as my wife and I traveled back from the Cape. Let me just say that I think you would be better off sleeping in your car then staying here. My grandfather was right when he said nothing is free in life. Things started off great as I found out that we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. Thats when the good stuff ends. When we got to our floor we noticed a rather foul odor. We rounded the hall where our room was located and outside of the maintenance room were 3 open trash bags. The smell lead us to our room when we got there we noticed the door handle was broken a pretty big safety issue we then walked inside and the AC was at 80 degrees so we set it at 70 and noticed that the AC wasnt working so by this time I had had enough and headed to the front desk only to find a metal gate pulled down over it and nobody there to help. The AC didnt work all night we were at Carrie Circle and the AC was a carrier you would think they would have an easy time getting a service tech out. I will end there and say that IHG apologized profusely and refunded the points I used. I warn you dont stay here I guess the Candlewood by the airport in Syracuse is nice I dont know I just know that I would have gotten a better nights sleep in my van!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Aubrey B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites East Syracuse - Carrier Circle, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. I've addressed your concerns with my team and we're working hard to correct them. I really appreciate you taking the time to let us know where we're falling short. I'd love the opportunity to discuss your stay with you. Please feel free to reach out to me at your earliest convenience.

Aubrey Barone
aurso@syrhotel.com
315.432.1684
new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

If I'd known this hotel would be the way it was I would have just stayed at a cheaper hotel nearby for less $$. I've stayed other candlewood suites before and they were great. This was just overall disappointing for the price.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Aubrey B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites East Syracuse - Carrier Circle, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
I'm so sorry to hear that your suite wasn't what you expected. We work hard to exceed the expectations of our guests and I'm sorry that we've fallen short. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and give us your feedback.
Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We met in Syracuse as a family of 22 and had a bunch of rooms. They kept us all together and having the suites was really nice so we could visit. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were really clean. Having the kitchen facilities was also a bonus so we could pack our own snacks/beer etc. A Great stay!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank craigger20
Aubrey B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites East Syracuse - Carrier Circle, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
I'm so happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I look forward to seeing you next time you travel to Syracuse.
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We just arrived back from two nights at the hotel during a recent shopping trip to Syracuse. We felt the size of the suite small. We have stayed in other suite hotels where you actually have a separate bedroom. This is just a hotel room with a nook where the bed is. It is a queen size bed which we knew beforehand but we do prefer a king. I didn't mind the comfort level of the bed but my husband did not feel it was very comfortable. The kitchen facilities were adequate but the whole appearance of the room was dated. The air conditioning unit in the room wasn't working as well as we would have liked. The free wifi connection in the room was inconsistent. Sometimes it was very strong and other times, it was weak. With as much competition as there is from the hotel industry, we wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Aubrey B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites East Syracuse - Carrier Circle, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
I'm so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience here. It is only with feedback from our guests that we can continue to improve. I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My best friend and I stayed at the Candlewood Suites Syracuse this past weekend. We spent two nights there and enjoyed our stay. It was close to Destiny USA and less than an hour away from the Waterloo Outlets (the purpose of our trip!). We checked in late on Friday night and Dave at the front desk greeted us warmly. He kindly provided directions we needed and was in fact super helpful and accommodating all weekend. The room - an upgrade, thanks Dave! - was exactly what we needed. The kitchen was perfect - a great place to store our snacks and drinks. Bed was comfy and it was so nice to be able to open the windows! Hotel was busy, but quiet. I would absolutely stay here again and hope that Dave will still be working - he's a real asset to this property!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aubrey B, General Manager at Candlewood Suites East Syracuse - Carrier Circle, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel on your shopping trip. I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I'll be sure to pass your compliments on to Dave! Our team really appreciates that you took the time to write a review of our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

This Candlewood isn't necessarily bad, it isn't as good as the one by the airport in my opinion. The hotel is clean, the rooms are as modern as the other Candlewoods, it just is missing a step.

The good - front desk staff was very friendly, especially the young guy with the blonde colored hair. The rest were all helpful. The bathroom was well stocked with fresh linens and they also have a nice little pantry to buy food items and toiletries. Also nice is the location which is convenient to the highway and is also right near Carrier if you have business there. The room was very, very clean as was the kitchen area. The hotel also seemed very safe, was very quiet, and had a nice gazebo sitting area. If you are staying long term, they also have an outdoor gas grill you can use which would be nice in the summer.

The not so good - beds were very uncomfortable as were the pillows. I mean uncomfortable. The gym is not conducive to working out as the equipment (2 treadmills, a stair machine and a bike, also some free weight dumbells) is quite dated. The stair machine is broken and the treadmills are pretty much a home version machine. The other issue I have is when you check in, they tell you they are an extended stay facility and because of that, they don't clean every day and if you need linens, just let them know and they will get you some. In the morning, I walked out and saw people dropping their linens in the corner in the hallway. I was there four nights and my room was never cleaned, not once. I understand not cleaning every day but at least every other day would be nice. We are paying for a service and even a light cleaning would be welcome. They should also put more than 1 soap for the dishwasher in the room, as well, if they aren't going to service the room daily and should put more than 1 coffee in the room.

The other down side is, there isn't much by way of food around the hotel if you don't want to cook your own meal. The closest fast food is a McDonalds about 1/2 mile away. After that, it's a decent couple of miles to the grocery store or other food. There is a small restaurant that I saw about three blocks up from the hotel (at the stop sign where you turn to go to the hotel, restaurant is straight ahead on the right about 50 feet in front of the stop sign). I did not eat here and can't say how it is. I compare this to the airport Candlewood that has restaurants all over, seems to be a little more updated than this, has a gas station right by it, and, just has a different feel.

Like I said, it's not that it is a bad hotel, it's not. It's comfortable, convenient, and safe (and quiet). It's just not as nice as the airport location.

Room Tip: I was in room 222 which was next to the elevator and convenient. I would avoid 122 as it would be a...