“Great hotel!”

Residence Inn Syracuse Carrier Circle
Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in East Syracuse
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Our family was forced to flee southern New England because of Hurricane Irene. We headed to Syracuse becuase we have family in the area. The Residence Inn was great! We had a two room suite and was able to take our small dog with us! The suite set-up was great. Our two children were delighted to have their own room and bathroom. A hot breakfast buffet was served daily. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Essexmom

Reviewed 2 September 2011

I have to say that I am a loyal Marriott customer and I am also a frequent traveler, so I have come to expect a certain level of performance from Marriott hotels over the years. The Residence Inn at Syracuse has left me in a bit of a quandary, however.

The Pros: As one might expect from a Marriott hotel, the atmosphere and the grounds of this Residence Inn was great. Everything was clean and tidy, from the grounds and parking lot to my room. The lobby is warm and cozy and the staff was entirely friendly. The rooms are very spacious, including a large bathroom, a changing area, a living room with a fireplace, a dinette set, a separate desk area, the bed and the full kitchen. There is also a number of drawers for storage, which makes such a difference, especially if you are going to stay for several days.

The Cons: This Residence Inn is divided into several 2 story building. But take note, there are NO ELEVATORS! I was shocked by this as I stood in the night -time rain, with my suitcases and laptop bag wondering how I would climb those stairs. I have lodged at other Residence Inns and they have felt like a hotel, with indoor hallways and elevators. Not this one! This Residence Inn felt more like a series of apartment buildings that had been converted to a hotel- very disjointed and somewhat desolate. In addition to there being no elevators, there are open, outdoor corridors only. I do not like this since I feel my front door is so easily accessible by anyone walking around in the street. The stairs to get to the second floor are also concrete steps, which made me a bit weary to climb with my work heels, not to mention when I was lugging my suitcases up and down the stairs as there is no type of bell boy service.

Location wise, the hotel is situated on a dead end road that is heavily populated with other hotels, including the Embassy Suites, the Courtyard, the Comfort Inn, etc. There are a few restaurants within walking distance- I visited two of those, but mostly drove to seek out better eateries.

Keep in mind that besides a restaurant or two, nothing else is within walking distance. You will either need the rental or you may have to fetch a cab whenever you need to get going.

So there you have it...the good, the bad and not so ugly. Would I stay here again? Probably. I may switch to the Courtyard next door instead when I come back to this area. After all, the price is right and the folks at the front desk are very nice. So, if next time I wanted to take advantage of the full kitchen or was traveling with others and desired the room, I would stay here again. I would know the next time around to expect the unexpected.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
RISYR, General Manager at Residence Inn Syracuse Carrier Circle, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2011

Thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent stay with us. Obviously you had a good experience with the items we can control such as friendly service and a clean and well kept room and property. I appreciate you sharing this experience with everyone.

On the down side, I do realize we are not for everyone. Although we were completely renovated earlier this year and feel like a brand new hotel in many aspects, we were still built in 1991. We have always been a Residence Inn and never was an apartment. Out of the 600+ Residence Inns throughout the country, there are 100-200 Residence Inns that are very similar to us in style and design. This is how Residence Inns were originally built, to feel more like townhouses and a more homey feeling as opposed to a hotel. Again, I do realize for many this is not their cup of tea, particularly if you are only staying one or two nights. If you are here for an extended stay, you will probably love us and those are the people who enjoy staying here the most.

Regards,

Reviewed 18 July 2011

Just stayed here last night. As far as RI properties go this was OK for a one night stay.
The beds are not comfortable in the least. They look really nice when you walk in the room but after that, it's not so good to sleep in. Place was clean and breakfast was good.
Area is a little sketchy so walking around didnt seem ok.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We have stayed here several occasions and could not have had a better experience every time. We stay in the two bedroom suites and can gurantee you won't find a better, well appointed room anywhere in the area for the reasonable price. We thought the rooms were nice and a value before their recent renovation but now, simply an amazing value for the cost. The staff will accomodate anything you need and bent over backwards on our most recent trip, even calling me to notify me of an opening when we needed one in a pinch. We will most defintely stay here again

Room Tip: The other
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I stayed here twice recently--once in March 2011 and again in June 2011 (since the March stay was so wonderful!) The Residence Inn Syracuse is recently renovated and has lovely, luxurious looking rooms--spacious sitting area, nice flatscreen tv on a great stand that can easily be swiveled to view from the sitting area or bed, very comfortable bed, great kitchen area. Plenty of space and comfortable seats and bed make it a very nice stay!

The staff was incredibly friendly & helpful on both stays--very courteous and clearly wanted to make sure my stay was excellent.

The hotel has great social events--Wednesdays feature "The BBQ"--where food is set out in the social/breakfast area during dinner time (6-7:30). My June 2011 stay coincided with "The BBQ," and I found generous portions of hot dogs, baked beans, macaroni salad, spring mix salad, freshly-cut watermelon, potato chips, & condiments (including fresh-cut lettuce, tomatoes, & onion for hot dogs). Also, canned soft drinks and beer are also provided. All is complimentary!!! I believe Mondays feature a pizza night, so be sure to check what is available for the nights you are booking!

Breakfast is great, with plenty of both hot & cold options--cereal, oatmeal, muffins, toast, bagels, fruit, yogurt, freshly made fruit/yogurt/granola parfaits (delicious!!), waffle machine, and hot options (daily feature of scrambled eggs, potato hash, etc.)

Although I did not use the pool, there is a lovely outside area with seating near the pool. Also, the hotel is conveniently located near the airport, and the hotel/restaurant area in which it is located means that a few restaurants, including a very nice Ruby Tuesday's are just an easy 2 minute walk from the front door.

I love this hotel!! I will absolutely stay here again and highly recommend it!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
RISYR, General Manager at Residence Inn Syracuse Carrier Circle, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2011

Dear RaleighTraveler28,

Thank you very much for the positive feedback. We greatly appreciate you choosing to stay with us during your most recent trips. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 13 May 2011

During our 10-day stay at Residence Inn Syracuse, NY, my 4-yr old contracted strep AND fifth disease AND roseola. The room was never vacuumed and never restocked even when we made the requests to the manager. Our family travels a lot and this was by far the worst hotel stay in my life.
The staff was so unprofessional and the room was DANGEROUSLY filthy. I wonder if this is violation of some health code. Do not put your family or yourself at risk by staying at this hotel. This hotel should be out of business.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Angrymom4806
RISYR, General Manager at Residence Inn Syracuse Carrier Circle, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2011

I apologize for the poor experience you encountered while staying at our hotel. I expressed my sincere apology to you that morning we spoke during your stay. In fact, that morning we had our suite attendant go back to your room to vacuum and made sure they did so the remainder of your stay. In addition, our Housekeeping Supervisor checked your room during the remainder of your stay and even personally asked your husband if everything was alright, which he responded that it was. Again, this is no excuse for the room not being serviced properly from the beginning. For that, I am truly sorry.

I would like to inform you and everyone reading this post that we are a very clean hotel. We have guest cleanliness scores just below 90% for the year to date. We believe this was an isolated incident and again can't express enough how sorry we are.

I have attempted to contact you twice during your stay after we spoke in person. I left two voicemails to follow up to make sure things had been improved and tried to offer proper compensation. I will reach out to you again, but unfortunately I understand the damage has been done.

If anyone reading this is thinking of staying at our hotel and has concerns based on this guests response, please don't hesitate to reach out to me by calling the hotel and asking to speak with the General Manager.

Thank you for the feedback as we strive to always do better in all areas for our guests.

Kind Regards,

Hotel General Manager
315-432-4488 ext. 3000

Reviewed 11 May 2011

Recently spent three nights here with three friends, as were were in town for the Women's national bowling tournament. Although the location seems to be in an older industrial area, the street that this hotel is on is surrounded by many other hotels and a few restaurants. It was very quiet for being as close to the tollway as it was.
The front desk staff was prompt and allowed us to choose either a first or second floor suite. The room was very nice - clean and bright with windows on two sides. A full size refrigerator and microwave, along with dishes, glasses and silverware were very appreciated since we kept accumulating left-overs from the restaurants we ate at! Furniture is all relatively new - sort of a "retro" theme which looks nice.
Breakfast was good, when we had a chance to eat. Scrambled eggs, a potato/onion/pepper/sausage hash, bagels, muffins, yogurt with granola, fruit, toast, juices, etc. The attendant in the breakfast area was very nice and when we said we would be up too early for breakfast the second two days, she encouraged us to take whatever we wanted back to the room and that she could help us in any way early the next mornings, as she would be on shift at that time.
The only noise we encountered were from the people walking around upstairs from us in the bedroom areas - creaky floors. Not much that can be done about that.
Otherwise, we had no issues and enjoyed our stay here. It was my first time to a Residence Inn and I will surely consider using them for more trips in the future!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business