All reviews golf course honor's haven grounds are beautiful dance weekend church group spa area family reunion get away senior trip the wait staff indoor and outdoor pools paddle boats catskill mountains waterfall juan maintenance stardust
Reviewed 16 October 2013

A really nice place, especially during the Fall season. Not terribly expensive. Clean & comfortable (we thought the beds were very comfortable!). Decent breakfast included. Helpful staff, excellent dining room manager. Beautiful scenery, nice waterfall in the back of the property. On premise hiking. Unfortunately, the row boats were unavailable for my kids to use during the Columbus Day weekend but the clean/new-looking indoor pool and the indoor sports area were great and kept my kids very busy when we weren't out hiking or picking apples/pumpkins nearby. I recommend Gaby's Mexican Café in the town of Ellenville for dinner - great food/service. The hotel is a really good spot for a large family/friends get together. Thinking about a winter visit...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Brooklyn-Stamford
Managemnt, Manager at Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

It’s always a pleasure welcoming back our returning guests! The scenery surrounding the resort definitely is breathtaking; especially during the autumn season. We were happy to hear that you and your family had the opportunity to take advantage of our hiking trails and indoor sports facilities. We apologize that the row boats were not available during your stay; we are in the process of purchasing new ones. The surrounding region, as you mentioned, also offers an almost limitless selection of activities. We thank you for sharing your recent experience with us and look forward to the possibility of serving you again this winter.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night in while attending a concert at Bethel Woods Center For The Arts. There are not many offerings for accommodations in this area and the top ones book up FAST! So, with that in consideration, we found the hotel to be not that bad. The room we had did have a recently refurbished bathroom which was a plus. The grounds in front are nice, but the back area is a bit, well, the back of a hotel. Still, the staff was fine, and the breakfast buffet reminded me of the movie Dirty Dancing with the family style seating in the large ball room. So, if you don't mind an older low key place that is trying really hard with some half way decent amenities, some freshened up decor, and a shuttle to Bethel Woods, then this will work for you. We also noticed there were several family reunions here so they must easily accommodate large groups. I actually wished we booked two nights to really relax here and explore the grounds a bit more.

Room Tip: Rooms with a front view will be more pleasing.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your review. As one of the only full service resorts in the area offering a special Bethel Woods Package, Honor’s Haven certainly offers concert goers the full experience. We are delighted that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle service to and from the concert as well as our breakfast buffet. We hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon for some rest and relaxation.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Firstly, I would like to acknowledge the power of Tripadvisor -- MANY things stated on Trip Advisor were true -- the VERY hard beds, children running, VERY lovely property.
"In Time" -- was the text that I received from my friend when I said that after seeing the gluten free muffins, I wished they had kombucha... her response "in time." It fits for this property -- I feel like they are doing a lot -- but more needs to be done.

What needs work: the VERY hard beds... My chiropractor said that he is seeing more and more people who come back with sore backs after vacation... I stay in MANY hotels... this was one of the most uncomfortable beds I have slept in.
As one review stated, it does not feel like they are really well prepared for individual guests -- what a missed opportunity! I was there as part of a retreat in the area, others would come because from NYC -- the bus drops you off - AT THE DOOR. Dinner -- VERY expensive, for not a lot of options. Also, I felt again, like the host did not take into account that I was dining alone. In addition, I received a discount card, the front desk wrote the discount on the card -- the host obviously ignored it -- and the price was not adjusted on by bill. ALL of the tables by the windows (with the views) are large tables for groups. Room service is always a nice option when traveling alone -- not offered here.
TONS of big groups and children running in the hotel. At one point there were kids screaming and yelling and jumping on furniture in the lobby. Nothing was done about it. WHEW.
I would like see the "health/wellness" area expanded if I were to come back...
Smoking seems to be allowed - and there were a lot of smoking butts on the beautiful grounds. One review mentions the walls -- for me, it was the steps of the person above me... The ceiling creaked every time they walked. It feels like an old dude ranch in many ways -- with the plus of being a bit updated...

What works -- First and foremost -- the views... LOVELY and peaceful. The trip from NYC -- and being let off AT THE DOOR -- could not have been easier. The staff (overall,) are REALLY nice, and accommodating. There was a diverse group of guests. The bar was ok, with a good bartender...but opens at 5. Different people asked about getting a cocktail before 5...Bar is VERY 1980s Catskills feel.. Fun fact that no one seemed to mention -- there is a Korean influence at the hotel. Kimchee is served at meals...Little Buddhas are sold in the gift shop, and their logo has its roots in Korean history. I find this fun.

So... "IN TIME..." I think this could do/be better.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank BusTraveler40
Managemnt, Manager at Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We wholeheartedly agree that Trip Advisor is very powerful and as such we diligently work toward improving our facility based on our guest’s experiences and reviews. It is very difficult to respond to comments made about the beds as bedding preferences vary from individual to individual. None-the-less, we apologize that you found our beds to be uncomfortable. With regards to your dining experience, we are currently working on modifying our menu selections where needed. Your observation that window seating has only been reserved for large groups has been noted and the possibility of making changes to this arrangement will be discussed further with our food and beverage department. We were disappointed to hear that you did not receive the discount that was noted on your meal ticket. We wish you had brought this to the attention of our Front Desk during the check-out process; we would have been more than happy to make an adjustment to your final bill. Your suggestion that the resort provide room service is an excellent one and will be discussed further with ownership. As mentioned in other responses, the thickness of walls and their ability to muffle sounds can sometimes be a challenge when dealing with a historic building. Although we kindly request and trust that all of our guests will demonstrate courteous conduct during their stay, not all guests are accommodating. We were delighted that you found the views offered to be lovely and peaceful. We were also happy that you found your experience with the ShortLine bus from NYC convenient and trouble-free. The resort, as you mentioned, does possess an Asian fusion influence which lends an eclectic flare to an iconic Catskill facility. In addition, your comment that the lounge was very Catskills was also right on target. It was the management’s desire to maintain some of the resort’s nostalgic charm in this area of the resort. We hope you found this fun as well. Again, thank you for sharing. We hope to have you back again soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

The site is lovely, with mountains around it, a lovely pond and golf course behind. The swimming pools - outdoor, small and no shade - indoor, small and mildew smell with heavy chlorine - still, folks enjoyed. Our room had a lovely view out of the back (not all do) and looked very nice. Problem - bed was like sleeping on a marble slab. OUCH! Worse than that - kids screaming in hallways, paper thin walls.
Food was decent and the people working there were nice.
The indoor tennis/boxing/pool tables area was scuzzy (in the basement).
On the whole, it's a nice place for a group get together.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pond and mountains.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ruhu61

We were pleased to hear that you found our surrounding landscape lovely. We sincerely apologize for any intrusive noises encountered during your stay. Unfortunately, as with all historic buildings, the thickness of walls and their ability to muffle sounds can sometimes be a challenge. We kindly request that all of our guests demonstrate courteous conduct during their stay. Your comment that our indoor sports area was “skuzzy”, has been passed along to the appropriate personnel for further evaluation and action. Thank you for your review. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed there 3 days and 2 nights with all meals and activities inside the resort. when i first got there, i was very impressed with the property, the open space, the hiking trails, golf course, etc. they had the firmest mattress i've ever had from a hotel. i thought i was going to give them 5 stars. well, things dont always go smoothly. the jucuzzi was too weak that you didn't feel anything on your muscles. but the jethead got too hot that one of our friends back got burnt. when i saw the two poor ping-pong tables inside the indoor gym, i wouldn't believe my eyes, they were NOT ping-pong tables, but just makeshifts made with some wood panels. dont they know that a ping-pong table costs only $200 in Modell's or walmart? plus, we didn't have a separate area for the table-tennis but were placed at the edge of basketball hook. the reason is they tried to pack tennis, badminton, basketball and table-tennis all in one place and that causes a problem. and they didnt turn on the ventilation fan or whatsoever and made the whole gym felt stuffy, esp. we were exercising and sweating a lot. also, the hallway of east wing of 1st floor smelt, not sure if it's because it's closed to the indoor swimming pool or not. my room which is on the 2nd floor of the west wing is okay but my friend's room which is on the 1 first floor had some bad smell. so all these made me feel like giving it 2 stars but the mattress stops me from giving it a poor rating. it's just a shame that they cant provide a great overall experience :(

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. Our property, hiking trails and golf course certainly are impressive. We hope you had the opportunity to enjoy all of them during your visit. We were also happy to hear that you found our beds comfortable; a good nights’ sleep is always important. We appreciate your feedback with respect to the Jacuzzi and other recreational amenities. We will have our Spa Manager check the Jacuzzi for any possible mechanical issues and see what we can do about the current location of the ping pong tables and volley ball net. During the latter part of the summer season, some of the hallways and public areas do get a little stuffy due to the continual opening and closing of exterior doors. I hope that this minor inconvenience does not deter you from visiting us again.