“Dance weekend at Honor's Haven”

Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ellenville
Westchester County, NY
“Dance weekend at Honor's Haven”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This review will cover the hotel and not the dance weekend particulars.

Our hotel room ("executive"...one level up from standard) was clean and was a good size. The bed (king) was comfy. The bathroom was a little small and the showerhead could stand an upgrade. The vanity area was separate and was quite convenient.
The hotel is huge -- after 2 days we still had trouble remembering how to get to the different venues for each dance lesson.
The food was just average. I'd say that nothing was "yum, yum delicious". Not horrible either. The steak was very thin but they managed to get it rare. Several people complained about the tilapia. The brisket was dry. But on average, the food was OK. Waiter service was fantastic.
Front desk personnel were very helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Nekohito49
Managemnt, Manager at Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We were sorry to hear that your dining experience was not what you expected. We have been working diligently to improve this aspect of our product and are pleased to announce that we have hired a new Director of Food & Beverage since your last stay. We sincerely hope that your recent experience does not deter you from visiting us again and taking advantage of our other dance weekends.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I visited this resort to plan a future event. At first I was not going to because of the reviews, so glad I did not listen. I travel a lot and sometimes being intimate with your guest is better than holding up a chains rep! The resort was sold out & busy I was greeted warmly at the front desk the line went fast. So what there were no ice machines it was bagged & available in the deep freezers on each floor. The pool was clean, spa & staff friendly & professional. Renovations are in progress but do not interfere with your stay. someone posted the service staff did not speak much English, so what not once were they unpleasant, but speak well to me! They went out of their way to serve you! The grounds are beautiful. They are adding additional parking. The fresh flowers which I thought were fake, throughout the resort adds that personal touch. The owner is taking steps to make this one of the best in the area. I could go on but will just say I will be back with my group!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Yvette D
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We were pleased to hear that your stay with us was a pleasant one. It is our goal to provide each of our guests with an exceptional hospitality experience whether visiting us for business or pleasure and we look forward to welcoming you and your group in the near future!
Bellmore, New York
Reviewed 11 November 2013

After our dad passed away, my three sisters and I booked the two night spa package at Honor's Haven Resort and Spa. What a wonderful weekend! From the friendliness and attentiveness of the front desk to the wonderful waiters for our included breakfasts and dinners, we couldn't have been more satisfied. The grounds are beautiful. We actually hiked on well laid out trails right in back of the hotel up the mountain! The indoor pool, Jacuzzis and saunas were very clean. Of course the massages and spa services offered here are over the top wonderful!!!! A special thanks to Jen for both the Swedish and Hot Stone massages I received. There are complimentary yoga and tai chi classes for the guests. Also a wonderful activity! I recommend Honor's Spa and Retreat very highly!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank donna m
Managemnt, Manager at Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you so much for your kind remarks. We were delighted to be able to provide you and your siblings with some much needed rest and relaxation following your father’s passing. We appreciate you sharing your recent experience with us and look forward to the possibility of welcoming you back again soon.
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed at Honors Haven while leaf peeping in the area. I had some difficulty with reservations, I never received a confirmation, but did get a call the next day that not all of the numbers on my credit card showed up. I secured the room, and confirmed a King bed as that was what I booked. They explained that they could not guarantee a king, that we might get 2 doubles. (it ended up working out, but that is odd). I asked if I would get a confirmation email, and the next day I received 2 different emails with different confirmation numbers. When I called they did not seem concerned, and then gave me a completely different 3rd confirmation number.

Since there is a 72 hour cancellation policy, I called just prior to make sure we would get a king bed, and was told yes. Upon check in, we did receive a king. Unfortunately, the room was not good at all. The carpet was filthy, and the top sheet on the bed was missing. The bottom sheet was very rough, and does not completely cover the mattress. The walls in the room including the bathroom were very badly grimed, including the wall switches. The room must have been over the restaurant, as there was an odor of fried food in the room that stuck to our clothes for the following day. When I mentioned the problems to the desk, she noted our room number and told me she would have someone look at it. No apologies at all.

The property is lovely, but there is little parking for such a large complex. It is also next door to an abandoned resort with many windows broken out and untended buildings, so a little creepy for sure. I would not stay here again. The quality of the accommodations were similar to a low budget motel chain.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 2111Carolyn
Thank you for choosing Honor’s Haven Resort & Spa for your recent fall foliage getaway. We apologize for the challenges encountered with regards to your reservation. The resort was transitioning over to a new PMS system and as you so intuitively stated we were still “working out some kinks”. Please be assured that these kinks have been worked out since your stay. Your depiction of your guest room greatly concerns us. We have spoken with our housekeeping staff at length and can assure you that the hotel does not use old sheets or blankets. All rooms have been changed over to duvet covers. With regards to your comment about parking, the hotel is aware of this issue and has been working diligently to improve this facet of our facility. As such, we will be expanding our parking area within the next year. We thank you for your comments and hope that your recent experience does not deter you from visiting us again.

Travellers are raving about these Ellenville hotels

North Collins, New York, United States
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This was one of the worst hotel stays I have ever had! (And we trave ALOT!) don't get me wrong the scenery was absolutely breath taking...... But the hotel it self was gross! The lobby was nice but once you got to your room..... Ugh! Wallpaper peeling off the walls..... Stains on the carpet. There is no ice machines.... There is a chest that they are supposed to refill yet they never do. I called the front dest for the second time to ask for ice and the girl gave me Hugh attitude!!!!! I asked her if this was the way she spoke with guests and she got more attitude and told me she was not being nasty! The I e bucket we had in our room had stuff written all over it, like some young kids partied here and got stupid.... You would think they could replace that. We were in the west wing and the wifi never works, it's aggravating to have to go all over the hotel to get internet! One night we ordered pizza and they wouldn't even let the delivery person up! Nor did anyone tell me they would not be allowed to deliver to the room so at 8pm with three little kids I had to get them all together to take them down to the lobby to get the pizza! The walls are paper thin, the man next door was showering in the early morning and woke up everyone in our room, you would have thought he was showering next to our beds. Not many of the service workers spoke English, you would ask them a question yet the answer was not what you were asking....... The pool area was nice..... Except the hot tub water was a greenish brown and the area smelled like fecal matter! All in all I would never stay here ever again! I would make the 30min trip down to Middletown to stay!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Jessica W
In our business, we are only as successful as the last event, trip or getaway hosted. That is why I would like to apologize for what seems to have been a very disappointing visit. I can assure you that your experience was inconsistent with our standard of service and that we will be addressing your concerns about our Front Desk staff with their supervisor. I have to disagree with you that our facilities are “gross”. The hotel continually upgrades and maintains all of its spaces. While spills will and do occur, we take the cleanliness of our facility very seriously. None-the-less, we have discussed your comments with both our housekeeping and maintenance departments. With regards to the thickness of our walls, Honor’s Haven is a historic building, and as with all historic buildings, the thickness of walls and their ability to muffle sounds can sometimes be a challenge. We kindly request that all of our guests demonstrate courteous conduct during their stay and apologize if you were bothered by any intrusive noises. We would also like to apologize for the lack of ice machines throughout our facility. We are currently working on finding ways to install real ice machines; which require water lines. We would also like to thank you for advising us of the issue with our WiFi. We have notified our IT department and will have this taken care of ASAP. With respect to food deliveries from the outside, we have decided to change our policy. Effective immediately, food deliveries to individual guest rooms will be permitted so long as the delivery person confirms such delivery with the Front Desk first. We acknowledge that we have had some ongoing issues with our Jacuzzi and plan on renovating such in the near future. Our goal is to provide all of our guests with a positive experience and we hope to have the opportunity to win back your business in the near future.
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stayed at Honor's Haven over the summer as part of a church retreat in the Catskills. It was a very differenet experience, and I'm not even sure whether or not i'd qualify this strictly as a good or bad experience. My church group arrived at Honor's around lunch as we were traveling from Massachusetts and weren't sure about traffic and timing, so we arrived earlier than expected. I was hoping that since the resort was expecting a very large group for a conference style event, the rooms would have been ready to go. It was quite the opposite. Not only were the rooms not ready, but we had to wait until well after the check in time to finally receive our room keys. After getting our room keys, we arrived to our room, very excited to get rid of our belongings, only to find that a single key didn't work to gain us entry. I went to the front desk to rectify the situation, but was already a bit upset that after waiting for so long, we still didn't have access to our room.

The overall retreat was a success, with great rooms to use for sessions, and the little cafe downstairs was a treat, as I am a coffee nut and like latte's, to which they not only served, but it was delicious.
The dining room was a bit crazy to say the least, as there were many other groups staying at Honor's at the same time as ours, and being able to find a table to eat at was just about impossible. I think the resort should have taken more time into figuring out meal times for each group, as just putting reserve signs on tables and ushering us all in at once wasn't exactly planned out well, as there were many times where i was left wandering, waiting for a table to free up so I could finally sit down and eat. I will say that the food was delicious, and never ran up. I had also heard that the hotel was owned by a Korean couple, so it was nice to see some Korean cuisine along with the American. The kimchi was excellent, some of the best i've had in the states.

I had a hard time navigating the place, and was really looking forward to getting a massage at the spa, but my problem was I never found it. Not only did I ask the front desk, but when they gave me directions, it led me to a random room with no one inside, so I was a bit confused. If they were going to have a spa, it should be clearly marked with a front desk attendant.

My only last complaint is the parking available on site. It was a HUGE hassle to find an open parking space. Because of the overwhelming number of people at the resort, there was zero parking, and I saw cars parked in unmarked areas, on the grass, or in no parking zones. I think my overall experience would have been more positive if the resort didn't accomodate so many people at once.

Overall the conference was great, accomodations not so great.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We apologize that you encountered some difficulties with your room key. We plan on upgrading our door lock system in the near future. With respect to your problem navigating the property, your suggestion that we provide more directional signs for the Spa has been forwarded to our Operations Department for further discussion. We have reevaluated our current method of serving meals with our Food & Beverage Department and have determined that changes do need to be made. As such, to ensure a more pleasant dining experience, we will be changing our meal times and opening a restaurant. With regards to the parking situation, the Hotel has been working diligently to improve this facet of our facility. As such, we plan to extend our parking area to include an additional 80-parking spaces. We were thrilled to hear that overall your retreat was a success and that our fusion of Asian and American cuisine was to your liking. We appreciate you taking the time to communicate your suggestions and hope that we are provided with the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Connecticut
Reviewed 16 October 2013

A really nice place, especially during the Fall season. Not terribly expensive. Clean & comfortable (we thought the beds were very comfortable!). Decent breakfast included. Helpful staff, excellent dining room manager. Beautiful scenery, nice waterfall in the back of the property. On premise hiking. Unfortunately, the row boats were unavailable for my kids to use during the Columbus Day weekend but the clean/new-looking indoor pool and the indoor sports area were great and kept my kids very busy when we weren't out hiking or picking apples/pumpkins nearby. I recommend Gaby's Mexican Café in the town of Ellenville for dinner - great food/service. The hotel is a really good spot for a large family/friends get together. Thinking about a winter visit...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Brooklyn-Stamford
It’s always a pleasure welcoming back our returning guests! The scenery surrounding the resort definitely is breathtaking; especially during the autumn season. We were happy to hear that you and your family had the opportunity to take advantage of our hiking trails and indoor sports facilities. We apologize that the row boats were not available during your stay; we are in the process of purchasing new ones. The surrounding region, as you mentioned, also offers an almost limitless selection of activities. We thank you for sharing your recent experience with us and look forward to the possibility of serving you again this winter.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellenville
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Best Western Monticello
Best Western Monticello
#1 of 3 in Monticello
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa

Been to Honor's Haven Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!