“Royalty”

Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ellenville
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This place is excellent! Super clean! So fancy! Exactly like a palace:)! Thank you for the great service! I was so shocked when I saw this place. Went into gaping mode. He He:)! Thank you for making this wonderful place!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Managemnt, Manager at Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience with us. We are so glad that you enjoyed yourself and hope that you will visit us again soon!

There are newer reviews for Honor's Haven Resort & Spa

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I'm going to preface my review with this statement since I do take some of these TA reviews with a grain of salt: I'm not a hotel snob who expects all places to be like a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. I stay at a lot of Hilton and Marriott properties that are your typical run of the mill hotels. My expectations are simple - clean rooms, comfortable bed, nice linens and a friendly staff.

We came here for a wedding weekend where the wedding was located at a nearby, expensive resort. This was the nearest place to accommodate the group. About a week before we left, I read TA for reviews of this place and I'll tell you our experience(s) were very similar. I do want to highlight some of the nice things - the landscaping outside is very nice; I think there is where the staff spends 99% of their time. The overall cleanliness of the hotel isn't bad, even though, yes there were stains on the floor on our room. The staff is somewhat friendly as well but if you've ever been to the Ellensville area, the hospitality talent pool is non-existent. The food wasn't bad either - we had breakfast included with our stay. Eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, oatmeal, waffles, French toast, oh and yogurt with mold in it (it wasn't past expiration either....and I know no one could know if there was mold in it....unless it was cold, then room temp then cold again) were our choices. The coffee was dank. Folgers or Sanka would have been an upgrade but on the flip side, there is a Dunkin Donuts about a 5 minute drive from the hotel. The hotel lounge was fun but it's only open at night. The area also had apparently seen some hard times. If you are looking for some good people watching, Ellensville is the place. There are some good restaurants in town though. If you are into hiking, biking or other outdoor activities, this is a good spot. Minnewaska State Park, Mohonk Preserve and Sam's Point offer excellent hiking. I recommend driving 25-30 minutes to New Paltz for a funky hipster college town with good shopping and restaurants.

I'm not going to repeat some of the other experiences other guests had. My "highlights" are:
- I requested a king bedroom and didn't get it. When we arrived on a Thursday, we were TWO of the FOUR people staying there. They said they were "sold out"! How are you "sold out" when we requested one and we were 2 of the 4 people staying there? Not a good start...but not surprising based on the reviews. They had to call their manager to even see if they could potentially accommodate me, which of course didn't happen.
- Enough said in other reviews about the rooms and hallways. Yes, walls are thin and I loved being woken by the dude above us every am at 6 to apparently walk back and forth meaninglessly across the room. Bonus was us hearing his conversation on our last morning. Some of the hallways squeeked but the bonus were the 5-7 year old Korean kids who were apparently practicing for the 2024 Olympics track competition down our hall every morning at 7.
- Outdoor pool didn't have water in it....for Memorial Day weekend. Hmmm.
- Please invest in some decent towels for the room. I don't need a scrub just to dry off.

Overall, we had a memorable experience but it was due to knowing what to expect out of this place but more because we were a group of friends who had not seen in other in years. It appears Honors Haven is trying to make improvements but they are slow going.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank ScubedCharlotte
Managemnt, Manager at Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your review. Due to similar feedback, the Hotel’s management has scheduled a meeting with ownership to address any all opportunities for improvement.

Please note that while the Resort does its best to accommodate housing requests, it does not guarantee specific room or bedding types. A member of our reservations department should have advised you of this at the time you placed your reservation; we apologize if they did not. Additionally, while it is normal practice for the Front Desk Staff to provide upgrades and room changes, these upgrades and changes are based upon availability. Due to the sheer volume of guests that stayed with us over the Memorial Day Weekend (close to 700 people), it was impossible to accommodate everyone’s requests.

The outdoor pool area, as you may have noticed, is in the midst of a comprehensive renovation project. We hope to have this project completed and the pool open as soon as possible. None-the-less, we hope that you had the opportunity to take advantage of the indoor pool as well as our other resort facilities.

Again, we thank you for choosing to stay with us, and hope that you and your friends will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Anything above one star is a generous review in my opinion and it only gets that because the surrounding area OUTSIDE of the hotel is beautiful. This is by far the worst place I've ever stayed in--Travelzoo did me really dirty on this $129 for one night plus $50 spa credit so-called "deal" (the spa credit was pretty much useless because it wouldn't have even covered the cost for a 25 minute massage).

As soon as you come through the doors there is a distinct smell to the place. And it varies in levels of weirdness as you walk through the halls, concrete stairwells and poorly painted walls. The walls are thin, the hallways creak and there are signs posted everywhere directing you to the areas of the hotel because as someone has mentioned before, the place is a labyrinth.

The room itself was clean but the low ceilings, outdated decorations and awful bedspread are reminiscent of the 80's. I didn't realize I'd be time traveling when coming here.

The pictures posted on their elaborate lie of a website show a bar with a great pool table--when we asked when the bar would be open the reply was "It's hit or miss. If we have enough people asking to open it then it will." First off, how do you have a bar and not open it? Second of all, what justifies 'enough people?'

After finding this out we asked about local restaurants for what we hoped would include a variety of cuisines. No such thing--there were about 6 italian places, 1 Japanese and a pub. Overall nothing to be excited about.

The one thing that we did enjoy here was the gaming room with the indoor tennis, basketball and ping pong tables. Fortunately front desk supplied us with paddles and a ball so we played ping pong for awhile and had the entire court to ourselves. However, the basketball rims were bent and looked like they were found at a garage sale. For a resort, the game room and courts could use a revamp but it was fun nonetheless.

Complimentary breakfast was included but offered only between 8-9am. The buffet consisted of eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, french toast, some fruit, cereal and oatmeal. We went around 8:30 to find that much of the food was gone and there wasn't an attendant to actively replenish anything. After scraping up what we could find at the buffet we realized there weren't any clean utensils. Guests were roaming around tables asking if anyone had extra forks and knives. Tables weren't being cleaned off and seating was scarce. Apparently breakfasts don't always include clean utensils, clean tables, seating or hot food. When we finally found a pitcher of orange juice, there was even a dead bug in it. If I had to pay $15 for a breakfast like that I would have cried.

One can only hope that this place gets chosen to be on Hotel Impossible. Needless to say, I will never be coming back to this dismal "resort".

Room Tip: The walls are thin, the hallways smell weird and the bar doesn't open for anyone. This would be...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Casabella87
Managemnt, Manager at Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We were sorry to hear that the Spa credit, which represented an 83% savings on a 25-minute Swedish Massage, was not to your satisfaction. However, the credit would have covered a 25-minute Express Facial 100%.

While the property has undergone significant renovations, there are still some pockets that have not yet been equipped with new bedspreads. We wish you had mentioned your disappointment to a member of our Front Desk staff, as we would have been more than happy to provide you with a room better suited to your expectations.

Our management team will be reviewing your comments about the bar and the situation that occurred at breakfast and will certainly address any opportunities for improvement.

We appreciate you bringing these issues to light and genuinely hope that we will be afforded the opportunity to win back your business in the future.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

I was attending a convention at this hotel and was excited to see again the area of the Catskills that I had enjoyed many years ago as a young adult. To say I was disappointed would be a mild understatement. The hotel had been renovated but apparently that applied only to the lobby area. I had read some oft the trip advisor's reviews and had asked for a renovated, clean room prior to coming to the hotel.After discovering what looked like blood stains all over the carpeting in my room and screens that were ripped on the windows, I asked to change rooms. The rickety elevator looked more like a coffin than a means of transport so I had carried my luggage up 3 flights of steps and wanted to avoid during that again. I asked the front desk to have someone bring up my key and after 15 minutes still had not received it. When I again called the front desk I was told by the person answering the phone that they had just heard about the need for someone to bring a key. The next room was musty,decrepit looking and had paint peeling in the bathroom but I was already late for a meeting so I stayed in it. That evening things only got worse. When we sat to dinner there were no utensils and our salad plates were butter dishes. When we asked for utensils and dishes we were brought dinner plates. The food was cafeteria quality and the wait staff was harried looking. I asked one of them what was going on and they said they were short staffed because staff was in training. I asked if it was in preparation for the vacation season coming up and I was told that "no, it was always this way" which to me is an indication of high turnover. I wanted to bring up something to drink from my room but the snack bar had no one staffing it although it was during stated open hours. I decided just to go to sleep and found out that would be next to impossible. The minute I got into bed I started coughing and didn't stop until I just about passed out at 3:30 am. I guess the dust and grime in the room was choking me. An associate of mine said that they couldn't sleep because of noise from the room next door that sounded as if there was no wall between the two rooms. These conditions persisted for the entire weekend. On Saturday night a group of my associates decided to make the best of it and get some drinks in the lounge. Unfortunately, this idea was soon extinguished as it looked like we were in a room after the atomic bomb went off. Not only were there no patrons but there also wasn't anyone staffing the bar. Our last dinner in the hotel was equally pitiful with some tables still waiting to eat while others were finished. I never did get desert but I was glad to at least get my main meal. It looked as if no convention was ever held at this hotel before ours as during an important presentation by one of our speakers all you could hear was the rattle of dishes being cleared. There was one server, whose name escapes me, who was so far beyond the skill level and professionalism of everyone else that he could have been from another planet. I wish I could thank him. Although the grounds were lovely, you could see the boarded up remains of what I think was the Nevele hotel within arms length of Honor's Haven. A very depressing sight. This hotel has to wake up and realize that all the marble in the world in your lobby doesn't make up for shabby sleeping quarters and poor service and food. It reminds me of when I was young and some friends of mine used to work as servers in the hotels in Catskills. The hotels back then had all the bells and whistles but the rooms these kids slept in were disgusting. Maybe Honor's Haven was trying to recapture that atmosphere.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Georgica14
Managemnt, Manager at Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

We value all guest feedback and appreciate the time you took to review your recent stay with us. We regret that your stay was negatively impacted by what appears to be several situations.

First and foremost, we would like to collect more information from you with respect to your lodging room (wing, room number etc.) as the Hotel makes a point of upgrading its lodging rooms on a continuous basis; including new wallpaper, carpeting, bedding and furnishings. We would appreciate you messaging us so that we can ensure that this room receives proper attention.

The elevator, which you described as “more like a coffin than a means of transport” was actually renovated within the last two years and not only dons a fully refaced interior and exterior but was also enlarged for a more comfortable ride.

With regards to your dining experience, we can do nothing more than apologize. The Hotel was caught off guard when several of its servers resigned just a few hours prior to dinner Friday evening. While this situation left the Hotel at an obvious disadvantage, staff members from every department rallied together to ensure that all meals were served throughout the course of the weekend with as little chaos as possible. Several of these employees worked tirelessly, putting in more than 12 hours per shift on their days off. While they may not have provided stellar service, we are proud of them for jumping in and giving it 110%. Since your stay, this situation has been resolved and we look forward to being able to provide our guests with the service we are known for.

We were upset to hear that the lounge was open without an attendant. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and will address this situation with our Director of Food & Beverage.

Lastly, we realize that the abandoned remains of the Nevele, which sits adjacent to our facility, can be a bit of an eyesore. However, most hotels and resorts, whether rural or urban, have guest rooms that overlook either a parking lot or other not so pretty piece of their property. None-the-less, we think it’s important to note that the majority of our lodging rooms afford our guests with mountain, lake and garden views, which are awe-inspiring to say the least.

Again, we appreciate the time you took to review your recent stay with us and hope you will provide us with the opportunity to repair your impression of our facility and our services by staying with us again.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I was very disappointed in my recent overnight trip at this resort. Looking forward to quiet rest and relaxation . I heard constant noise all night long from the room below ours and a screaming baby from an adjoining room next to ours . The walls were paper thin I felt as if the child was in our room. Called front desk to complain but no changes for the rest of the evening. I was hoping yo return for and receive compensation or credit but management said it was not possible.
They lack a good housekeeping staff for the rooms as well as for the" Spa" don't waste your money they have a long way to go with renovations and improvements before this hotel is considered a true "resort" and "spa".

Room Tip: Go to another hotel .
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank Deborah D
Managemnt, Manager at Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. As will all historic buildings the thickness of walls and their ability to muffle sounds can sometimes be a challenge. We request that all of our guests demonstrate courteous conduct during their stay to ensure a pleasant experience for everyone, devoid of intrusive noises.

We were troubled to hear that our Front Desk did not provide you with alternate accommodations that would have resulted in a more restful experience. Please be assured that we will address this issue with our Front Desk Manager; improving our service to our guests.

With respect to the cleanliness of our property, our housekeeping staff is often commended on the level of service provided in all areas of the facility. As such, I feel your recent experience was inconsistent with our standard of service.

Again, I thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We hope that this recent experience does not deter you from returning to Honor’s Haven Resort & Spa in the future.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Went their as a marriage retreat with a group of couples. Club was closed the first night because there were several groups of teenagers that the hotel could not police. Second night went to use hot tub but the jets were turned off because there was a group of kids that the hotel could not police. My guess is that they cater to teenage groups and do not want to be put off by taking care of adults who might enjoy the amenities that they have to offer. Room was clean but could have used more furniture. The hotel reminded me of of a 60's or 70's resort definitely needs some modifications. Did have a massage and it was wonderful, also the area outside the hotel is beautiful and walking along the golf course is worth it. I would not recommend this resort as a place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank rjsjsn

We were so sorry to hear that your retreat wasn’t what you expected. While the Hotel does host several high school groups throughout the course of the school year, we go to great lengths to ensure that all of our guests are provided with an enjoyable visit.

Although our facility has undergone considerable renovations, we appreciate your candid commentary and will pass along your suggestion to modify/modernize the resort.

We sincerely apologize for any shortcomings during your recent event and hope that you might consider giving us a second chance in the near future.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I was here just a few days ago. The lake and mountain view is spectacular and the amenities are impressive. The bed was average, room cleanliness was spot on, though a drawer was damaged and the maid service is great.
The workers are also very hospitable and pleasant. The food is served on buffet style which was pleasing and not forgetting the amazing pool and jacuzzi.
I would definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: Go for the Lake View #Beautiful
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

It always make me happy to hear that our guests would recommend our facility. We were delighted to hear that not only did you enjoy the buffet meals but found our pool and Jacuzzi to be amazing, the lake and mountain views spectacular and the amenities impressive. We look forward to being afforded the opportunity to have you stay with us again and to introducing your friends and family to all we have to offer.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellenville
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Hampton Inn New Paltz
Hampton Inn New Paltz
#1 of 5 in New Paltz
Courtyard by Marriott Middletown

Been to Honor's Haven Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!