Edelweiss Lodge
Tamarack Club(Ellicottville)
Telemark Motel(Ellicottville)
Fox Ridge Townhomes(Ellicottville)
  • Restaurant
Inn at Holiday Valley(Ellicottville)
Hotel Westgate(Salamanca)
View Hotel
All reviewsfire pitbagelsbasic breakfastsized fridgeholiday valleywould stay againbasic roombit datedwrap around porchking bedgreat roomget awayshops and restaurantsa great place to staylodgesalamancamotorcycle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the Edelweiss. Our room in the "brownstone" was passable at best. Two chairs in the room were so disgustingly filthy, we chose not to place belongings on them. The shower was equally neglected, and we avoided it altogether. Worst of all, however, one member of our family awoke riddled with nasty bug bites. We counted 13 to be exact. When we told the manager that we had good reason to suspect they have a bed bug problem in one of the beds, and showed him the bites, he resisted. Actually, he claimed that there couldn't be any bed bugs because they had just had the exterminator in that room...again....recently, and the beds were new. A very suspicious defense, All I can say is, we arrived with no bug bites, spent the day bundled in winter clothing (i.e. no skin exposed), and awoke with obvious bites. Draw your own conclusions.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank A S
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We spent the weekend at the edelweiss lodge as part of a race weekend my son was participating in at the two awesome ski mountains in ellicotville. As a race parent, you are looking for lower priced accommodations. At the edelweiss, they have a annex behind the main lodge that was less than a room at the main lodge, so we took it. The location of the edelweiss lodge is so good that it almost made up for all the failings. You are right downtown, less than a mile from both mountains, and a short stroll to all the restaurants, bars and shops. This was a huge perk as parking downtown is impossible. But unfortunately, the lodge uses their location as a way to keep their prices high and their maintenance and amenities quite low.

The annex room itself as fine. Beds were comfortable and the room was clean. But the lack of upkeep of the room and the building itself was ridiculous. Lamp shades were cracked, the bathroom has probably not had a paint job in 30 years, and the fiberglass of the shower area was separated from the wall. Items that clearly say, "we really don't care a hoot about this annex, but we'll gladly take your money if you want to stay there".

Ammenities and service at the lodge as a whole were very poor. There was no shampoo or hair dryer in the room, so we had to walk downtown with wet hair in single-digit temps. The free breakfast included in your rate was pathetic. First, they do not open breakfast until 8am, so we couldn't even eat there, because my son had to be in the mountains by 7:45. They have big signs all over that say 'no takeout allowed' so they have no options for you to take some breakfast with you if you are on the run. Lastly, the bread, frozen bagels, three boring cereal options, were so unappetizing that you didn't want to take it with you anyway.

Bottom line: the owners of this lodge send the message that they are not Interested in hospitality, just in saving pennies and making money. The result is you feel unwelcomed and ripped off. They just don't get it, and it is a shame.

Room Tip: Stay in the main lodge.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ExperienceFLX
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I have been staying at the Edelweiss for over 15 years. I was shocked to see a bad review. The rooms are clean and quaint ... great price ... free breakfast. I have stayed there in summer and winter. Bill ... the owner ... is just a wonderful person. I had booked a weekend there last year ... my son required emergency surgery on the day I was to arrive. I called Bill and he immediately told me not to worry, take care of your son ... rebook with me when you can ... he gave me a credit ... now that's service!!! There was absolutely no hesitation on his part. I can't say enough good things about the Edelweiss, Bill and his dedicated staff ... they are always friendly and ready to provide great service. I would highly recommend the Edelweiss when visiting Ellicottville ... Vickie

Room Tip: I would recommend rooms in the lodge ... very spacious
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Vickie K
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I am amazed reading the negative reviews. I've been staying at the Edelweiss for over 11 years and it's a great place. Super location and great rooms for the price. The older part of the hotel and the chalets are just that - older...but the chalets are quaint and a great deal for a group. The rooms in the newer part of the hotel are huge, comfortable and have great big baths good for soaking after a day of skiing. In the summer the pool is lovely and refreshing; and breakfast for free is an added bonus. Bill the owner is wonderful - friendly, and helpful and I admire him as he brings in students from all over the world to work and learn English and treats them as if he's their parent. When the new hotel opened I stayed once but wasn't happy with the location or the cost or the fact there is no outdoor pool. The price is nuts compared to the Edelweiss and I think supporting local businesses and not chains, in Ellicottville is a must. Just to show you how great they are; I became ill on my last trip there and had to leave a day early but didn't leave or tell Bill til after 2:00. He immediately said let me know when you are coming down next and I'll give you a free night. Now that's not just service but shows the differnce between a chain and a very special local hotel. I can't recommend this place enough and I travel constantly for business so I think I know a great deal about service and hotels. Yep it's not the Ritz...it's better! Jacq

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Stayed in the main hotel, all updated clean and so cozy and quiet. The owner was very eager to make our stay memorable. He spent time with us and chatted and advised on were to eat and the great shopping. Going back in Sept. just me and my husband. Next year the couples weekend is here again. This was unanuous decison. Tips stay in main hotel, Thanks for a great weekend! Plus you just park your car and everything is walking distance including a beautiful church across the street.

Room Tip: Main house, all updated, rap around pouch loved that. There is a spa a stone trow away.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple