“Pricey, not quaint but clean and a good location.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Edelweiss Lodge

Edelweiss Lodge
Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Edelweiss Lodge
Toronto
“Pricey, not quaint but clean and a good location.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

The Good: The hotel is very close to the centre of town (a block!) which makes it convenient to walk to breakfast and dinner. There is a great brewpub in Ellicottville that is only two blocks away. The room was large and clean, and there were a lot of towels in the bathroom (enough for 4 people in a room with 2 queen beds).

The sink was outside the bathroom and beside the small fridge. That wasn't bad, just a little unusual.

The Bad: Nothing was really bad, just dated decor, well-used towels, and unfriendly desk staff. I asked if we could check out at noon on a Sunday (an hour after the check out time of 11), and the desk person grudgingly agreed. If you're going to say yes, why not be nice about it? It was also hard to get a person on the desk; when we checked out and when I asked about a later check out time, I used the buzzer several times and heard people in the back but it took 5 minutes one time and over 10 minutes the next for someone to come out.

There was a window that opened in our room but no screen and there are a lot of mosquitos in the area. I would have preferred to open the window rather than use the air conditioning.

The pool is tiny, fine for a quick dip on a hot day, but not big enough to spend time swimming. The tennis courts are not kept up and are unusable. Weeds are growing in large cracks in the pavement.

At certain times it's hard to find a room in Ellicottville, so if you can get a good rate, it's fine to stay for a day or two. I'd look for other places to stay first, but would probably come back if the only other options were in neighbouring towns.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SarcasticAudio

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

My husband and I could stroll the shops, while the kids did there own thing by simply walking a block from our room.
The Holiday Valley shuttle picked the kids up to night ski and then dropped them off, while we walked and had a cozy dinner and hit a few of the clubs.
We had 2 adjoining rooms and everything was just fine.
Thanks Edelweiss!

Room Tip: Book early and get the best locations
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Ancaster, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

We got the upgraded room. You get what you pay for. Pleasant room, fresh flowers and spotless.
Pretty much walked everywhere we needed to. What an awesome location. No risk partying.
With everything so close, we didn't have to risk driving after having a few. We will be back!!

Room Tip: A few bucks for an upgrade and your good to go!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brent H
Westlake, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed New Year's Eve and the only reason we stayed here was because of terrible road conditions. I now understand why there were 4 vacancies. It was definitely not worth $200. I know we were in room 10, just not sure if it was 4-10. But the room was like being in a dorm room. There were a few bugs in the room and my wife slept with the kids on the pullout sofa as a result. It was late when we got there and the woman was very nice that greeted me. The continental breakfast was very weak. We didn't even shower or brush our teeth - just wanted to get out. I just wish we hadn't spent so much on the room - we definitely overpaid. The location was the reason for the high price.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Douglas R
willyny, Manager at Edelweiss Lodge, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
I'm sorry you picked New Years Eve to stay just like everything else on that night the price is higher our price for that room on a reg night is $155.00 for 4 people in our newer building in a deluxe room it is $220.00 for 4 people all of the deluxe rooms are very large with flat screen TVs coffee makers frigs and over sized bathrooms also non smoking if you shop around Ellicottville you will find our rates resonable

Travellers are raving about these Ellicottville hotels

Amherst, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

We have stayed in the main building and it was fine, adequate for the price. Seems they are slowly updating the rooms in the main building. Last weekend we came to ski and stayed in the annex building and it was horrendous. The smell was noxious and the window did not open. The annex building is very old and in need of repair, the toiliet ran constantly. The continental breakfast was sparce with oatmeal in a crock pot. Even for half the inflated price I will not stay here again. If it weren't for the location and time constraints we would have left, or slept in our vehicle.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joan S
willyny, Manager at Edelweiss Lodge, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay there was someone on the desk til 10 pm and they could of been of some help also for a complimentary continental breakfast I don't know what we can add it is hot and 3 kinds of cold cereal toast juice hot chocolate coffee
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I booked a room at this hotel, paid the total amount upfront (seems as though they have pretty ancient systems) only to be called 3 weeks later to tell me I could not have the room I already booked and paid for. They cancelled my reservation and told me I had no options but to try and book somewhere else - only it was too late because everything was already booked for the date I needed. I couldn't find anything available and am now unable to visit Ellicottville that weekend. They did reimburse me, obviously,

Terrible experience with Edelweiss, they should get a little bit more organized before making reservations, taking people's money, and inconveniencing them for the future.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelwithL
willyny, Manager at Edelweiss Lodge, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
We are sorry it took 2 1/2 weeks to find the mistake a new employee had made by taking a 1 night reservation on a weekend but I was out of town it is hard here to find employees as it is seasonal work calling around I have found everyone in town ask for 2 night reservations and some are 3 nights We are very sorry this happened and Im sure it wont happen again If you wish to come to Ellicottville and only have 1 night you will find it during the week but not on a weekend during season
Niagara Falls, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Trust me when I tell you I'm easy going. I understand things get old and break but a little maintenance and cleaning go a long way. It appears this place hasn't been maintained correctly in 10+ years. The front steps are rotted and sagging as is the deck and don't dare lean on the railing. Their cleaning staff needs to be replaced. It took over an hour with doors and windows open just to get the musty smell out of the chalet. We found old food in our oven old food in our refrigerator and a coffee filter in the coffee maker that was completely filled with white mold on the used coffee grounds. Everything had a waxy sticky dirty feeling. About the only thing the furnishings are good for is a dorm room, man cave or hunting camp. The best part of the stay at this place were our travel companions. So, keep your expectations low, bring along a bottle of bleach, watch where you step, by all means don't lean on the porch railing and you'll do just fine there.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lloyd S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellicottville
Wingate by Wyndham Ellicottville
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Springville
The New Lantern Motel
The New Lantern Motel
#1 of 2 in Allegany

Been to Edelweiss Lodge? Share your experiences!