“Poor Customer Service”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Ellicottville
New York
“Poor Customer Service”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Visited the resort for a Beer and Wine Festival this past weekend. We were a group of 4 couples where one person made the reservations for all of us. The quoted rate included a 2 night stay along wth tickets for the Beer and Wine Festival. Upon checking out this morning I was charged $100 more than the other 3 couples. There was no explanation on the receipt for the $100 just a coded message in the comment field.

When questioned I was told it was for 2 additonal tickets to the festival. I told them that we did not purchase any addtional tickets. I was then told it was for a charge that one of the other couples were credited. I told them this was not true and showed the receipts for the other three couples.

I was then told that there was nothing she could do at this time because she would have to figure out how to take it off of my account and put it somewhere else.

I was not the only person who appeared to have this problem. There was another person who was told that the manager was not there on Sundays and that he would have to call her Monday. I was also given the managers card and told to contact her on Monday.

In my opinion it is unbelievable that they could not explain the charge and that it could not be credited on the spot. Also, that there would not be a manager on duty that had any authority to rectify this problem - especially on a weekend where there was a large function being held and many people were checking out on the same day. Basically, this was VERY POOR customer service. Dealing with this mis-billing caused 8 people to have to wait an additional half-hour after checking out, and to still not have a solution to the problem basically wasted everyone's time...totally unacceptable.

While the accomodations were nice, I am not sure if I would recommend the resort. Another interesting point is that I was not given my receipt automatically, I was asked if I wanted a copy. I travel a lot and I have never been asked if I would like a reciept, I received it automatically.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Don C
InnManagerHV, General Manager at Inn at Holiday Valley, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
I am sorry that your invoice question was not able to be immediately answered on Sunday morning. Because there were several rooms reserved under the same name it took more time than we would have liked to determine which of the 4 rooms the tickets belonged to. I wish the clerks had added your contact information to your reservation so that when they had resolved the problem later that morning they could have let you know right away. I appreciate speaking with you yesterday and am glad you were happy with the resolution. We look forward to your next visit to the Inn at Holiday Valley.

Katie DiDonato

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I would put this resort between a 3 and a 4. Our family has stayed here many times for a wide variety of events and in general, the cleanliness and service are consistently good. As a professional who trains employees on enhancing the customer experience, if there were more consistency in interactions with employees, this resort would rank a solid 4.5. The location is wonderful, the rooms are rustic chic and the pool and hot tub are a lot of fun for the kids. On the downside, when the pool ran out of towels, it took multiple requests over 40 minutes before any appeared. The requests for additional towels were not met with a helpful attitude. Guest were definitely made to feel as they they were inconveniencing desk staff. Additionally, after 5pm, desk staff went missing. They were in the back room, but seldom at the front desk. Finally, when we asked a question about the sky high park for the following day, desk staff told us it was closed. Since we had reservations for the next day at sky high, we knew that wasn't accurate, but the again, the response we received did not enhance our customer experience. Due to the limited lodging choices in Holiday Valley, this resort will always be our families choice, but with a little tweaking, it really could become a 5 start destination.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank K W
Olcott
Reviewed 4 October 2013

we decided to go for a quick get away for the gf birthday.ellicottville was quickly decided and we could not have made a better choice..the room with king bed was very nice with a bed and breakfast feel..nice lotions and soaps..the heat indoor and swim to outdoor pool and hot tub were all ours..our reward for staying on monday..beinf fall the leaves were changing so we took a side trip to pumpkinville and sculpture park..the blueberry beer at ellicottville brewing co lived up to billing...overall a very nice getaway as breakfast awaited our morning in the main lodge building...very nice..

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
InnManagerHV, General Manager at Inn at Holiday Valley, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
We are so glad to hear you Birthday Getaway was a success! Thank you for choosing the Inn at Holiday Valley. Fall is such a fun time to be in the Ellicottville area, the leaves are so pretty and there is so much to do outdoors. We appreciate that you took the time to write a review of your stay. We look forward to your next visit

Canandaigua, New York
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Visited for a family reunion. It was the perfect place! Lots of activities for the kids, the rooms were spacious and well appointed, the restaurant (John Harvard) had a private room for our dinners, there were lots of activities nearby, and the lobby was a perfect gathering place for the group. Very reasonable as well! Only complaint was our room faced the parking lot and there was no privacy if we opened our drapes.

Room Tip: might be worth paying extra to have a view of the mountain - instead of the parking lot!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us this summer. We are glad to hear your family had a great time during your Reunion. With the addition of the aerial park & zip lines we have seen a great increase in the number of family reunions staying with us. I am sorry to hear you were in one of the few rooms of ours that have a window facing the parking lot. Next year we will have to make sure you have one of our many rooms with the Patio/Balcony that face the mountains or golf course.

We hope you will consider it a family tradition to meet here each summer!

Orchard Park, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was pleasantly surprised...Room was clean and nicely decorated. It turned out to be a handicapped room, so the bathroom was quite large. We were here to attend a wedding at the Holiday Valley Lodge. Called twice to be sure that the hotel and lodge were next door to each other. Was told, "Yes. right next door...with a sidewalk connecting them". Turned out, while perhaps technically correct, the properties were not right next door, and the connecting sidewalk was really a long city block!

1 Thank Gail G
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your visit with us this summer. I apologize that we were not more descriptive on the distance between the Inn and Holiday Valley Lodge. Close is a subjective description which I have found varies in accordance with the height of the heels of my shoes. What can be an easy walk in sneakers is not as enjoyable when dressed to the nines for a wedding. Had we told you it was approximately 300 yards along the sidewalk up Holiday Valley Rd you would have had a clearer understanding of the distance.
We are excited about all the changes we have been making to the décor of our rooms this summer and we are pleased that you enjoyed your room.

We hope you will consider staying with us again the next chance you get to visit Ellicottville!

Katie
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We checked in at noon and hurried to our room to get ready for shopping and lunch downtown. I used the bathroom and noticed what looked like a shell of a lady bug and a hard shell bug near the bathtub. On the floor there were two small pieces of round paper?? A small spider was in the lower corner by the door. This was very unusual because we travel less than most but pay to stay at high end places. We had stayed here comfortably for a wedding and a golf school in the last ten years.

Returned late in the afternoon and went to the pool forgetting about the bathroom issues. The only time I had seen a pool with so many leaves was when a pool was opened in the spring and the leaves fell of the cover into the water. It had several leaves in it and had piles of leaves in the corner areas from birch trees. The first recommendation would be to blow the leaves from the corners and remove the birch trees that loose their leaves in mid-August. The golf pro was very accommodating and helpful when I visited the pro shop after swimming.

We went out to dinner and more shopping and had a nice evening. I killed a spider on the edge of the bed when we were turning in only to remind me of the one in the bathroom..it was gone! We got up early for our trip to Buffalo. My wife asked for some ice and when I opened the ice bucket I found old water and a used ice bag. That was it.....gross! The card said the room was cleaned 11 days earlier on the 5th. It was evident that someone had been using the room (little white papers) or it was not given any attention during cleaning. I went out for a clean bucket. The head maid was very nice asking one of the men to get me a clean bucket. He could not find one in the storage room so he went to another area and secured a new one. Both employees were very accommodating hand helpful.

I went upstairs to the ice area only to find three large inhabited spider webs in this area with debris on the floor. We live in the woods and deal with vermin all the time. I would suggest using a blower, power washer and we use a broom to remove spiders and webs near our structures. I noticed when returning to the room an occupied web inside above the entry door and small opening to the outside in the lower right of the door looking from the inside--an inch long. I did not even mention the mosquitos gathered by the door outside in this dark area again from the birch trees.

I returned to the room only to find the ice was only a drop in this bucket. My wife was appalled to find a old dry wash cloth stuck in the top of the shower curtain when she showered. Unbelievable!!

I had called to find out who I could talk to regarding the bugs and the ice bucket. The manager was to be in by 8:30. I packed up went to the front desk. The front desk person was very nice all morning. I had a good continental breakfast and coffee. The manager came out and she said that she was told that I had an ice bucket problem. I handed her the comment card that was full into the margins. She did not read it but offered me a $15 E'ville shopping card. I was offended. I told her that she did not even read the comments. I told her about the bugs and she replied: "did you mention these when I checked in?". This is the lesson I learned after 40 years. We should have left and gone to the Wyndham downtown or asked for a new room when I saw the condition of the bathroom floor. We were hurried and wanted to go to lunch in our short 18 hour stay. She then offered me a letter for a future reduced rate stay. I handed her the gift card and told her I needed time to think about coming back here for a future stay.

I was really disappointed that she did not read my comments as I stated that it was a $50 value not $157.00. I did have a good breakfast. She did not get it so I explained that it was worth $50 and I expected her to take care of it. She gave me a song and dance about not being able to do anything because I secured the room from a third party online vendor. This disappointed me even more because this was the first time I had ever heard of a business not being able to issue a credit. She did not care because you can do anything you want if you own the business.

Off to Buffalo to return home to find a $20.41 charge to my card for the tax for this terrible stay!

Room Tip: Do a once over before you decide to stay. Should have taken photos...will do if I ever encounter th...
2 Thank waterdog69
InnManagerHV, General Manager at Inn at Holiday Valley, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
I apologize that you were not given the chance to fully describe your concerns before an offer of compensation was made. I am pleased to see that our front line staff reacted in a quick and friendly manner to your requests. As you know from previous experiences we take the care of our guest rooms and customers very seriously. I am sad to see that this stay fell short of the high standards we have set for ourselves.

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you directly so that I can assure you we have taken corrective action. I can be reached at 716-699-2345.

Inn at Holiday Valley
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were celebrating out 1st anniversary. The room we booked wasn't the room that was available. We complained, but they didn't have the room we booked available. We refused the room, but they still wanted to charge is a $20 cancellation fee. The clerk at the desk was nasty. The manager was in the back room, but wouldn't come out to speak with us. This experience put a damper on our anniversary celebration. Think twice before booking this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank PharmIDGirl
InnManagerHV, General Manager at Inn at Holiday Valley, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
I am so sorry to hear that your room did not meet your expectations. I am glad to see that our cancellation fee was waived for you and that you had a good time while you were in Ellicottville. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally. I can be reached at 716-699-2345

Katie DiDonato
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellicottville
Wingate by Wyndham Ellicottville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Salamanca
Seneca Allegany Resort & Casino
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Springville
Best Western Plus University Inn
Holiday Inn Express Olean

Been to Inn at Holiday Valley? Share your experiences!