“Not worth staying. Far from city center.”
Review of Hotel Q New York

Hotel Q New York
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elmhurst
London, United Kingdom
“Not worth staying. Far from city center.”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Went on a last minute vacation with the family in October '13 to NY and stayed at this Hotel.
I had been in NYC in the past and had a great time, but this time it wasn't my turn to plan the trip. My family told me that they had found a reasonable priced hotel minutes away from the city. I consider myself an easy going guy, so my answer was: Yeah! I'm up for it .
When we got to the airport and took a taxi to the hotel, the taxi driver didn't really know where it was so it was a bit of a hassle finding it. At last we found the hotel, checked in and went to bed as it was getting late and we were tired after a 9 hour flight. We wanted to go out for dinner, but we didn't find the neigborhood very welcoming. The room wasn't too bad, small, clean and had a confortable bed (all I really needed after the flight). The shower was great until I looked up and saw the filth accumulating on the air duct. Really gruesome! I know it's not something that you clean everyday, but at least once in a lifetime would be good. Then I read a few reviews on this site, and didn't search any further as I didn't want to find anything disgusting that would ruin our holiday.

Breakfast average, amenities quite limited. Staff could be more friendly and interested in making your stay pleasant. Worst part definitely was the distance. It isn't minutes away from anything as they state. It takes a 15 minute walk to the nearest station and then 45 min ride uptown, 75 min downtown. So total time to get anywhere near to the main attractions is 1 to 1 and a half hours, also to consider that you can't go back to the hotel to leave your shopping or have a rest, the price of transportation and that trains run quite packed and that you will be standing most of the time (not nice when you have walked all day up and down the city). It made me feel so tired and grumpy!

In conclusion, overpriced hotel for what it is, far from the centre, badly connected to the subway, not the best customer service. Bed, shower & tv ok. Limited amenities. Great views to the filthy streets of Queens which I'm uploading a photo.

Overall feeling. I didn't enjoy my stay in NY and staying here made me grumpy.

Room Tip: If you are on a budget and want to really enjoy NYC, save up your pennies for another few months and...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Dave S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

Fairly decent place to stay. Despite the fact it is not easily accessible to Manhattan or to the airport, it was a welcome respite when our flight was changed due to storms. Staff was helpful and reasonably priced.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Foodiegrl41
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 April 2013

the smallest room ever((((( dirty, bad sheets with the hols from cigar, disgusting, i post some photo of the furniture you can see your self. bad attitude from some, some reception, i don't feel self. i guess may be they give room for a hour or two, to rent..

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank bobby35805

Travellers are raving about these Elmhurst hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Overview:

If you are a single traveller or a budget-concious couple, this is a suitable place to stay. The facility is small, new and kept clean. Hotel Q is located off Astoria Blvd, but is an easy and safe walk to the electic and bustling neighborhood of Jackson Heights-Roosevelt. The staff can be curt, but it's not as if you will be vacationing with them during your stay.

Are you looking for an all-out romantic getaway or traveling as a family? Sorry, this place is not for you. Find out why ahead.

Rooms:

The rooms are clean, yet confined. A friend and I booked a double bed, and though I had room to lay my one piece of baggae down, we barely had any space to walk around. The bed is comfortable and the pillows are excellent. You only recieve a sheet and think fleece blanket to keep warm at night. Extra blankets are availabe at the front desk based on a first-come, first-served basis. The television is a nice-sized, '42 inch flatscreen. The bathroom is clean and plentifully stocked. The closet is small and there is a desk in the room.

Ammenities:

Aside from the television and toiletries aforementioned, Hotel Q is basic in comparison to mainstream chains. This is one of the reasons they are able to keep rates lower than others. There is no airport or area shuttle service, and continental breakfast is store-bought pastries, cereal and coffee - no juice. The business center consists of one computer, which is barely used, and printing must be done via the front desk. The fitness center consists of a treadmill, bike machine and an eliptical.

Neighborhood:

Hotel Q is situated on the busy Astoria Blvd in Queens. It's just a ten minute walk from the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt subway station & neighborhood. If you are used to city life, then the neighborhood will not be a bother to you. If you are a suburban dweller or a first-time New Yorker, then you may get nervous by your surroundings. !!NOT.TO.WORRY!! THE NEIGHBORHOOD IS SAFE!! Instead of being babied with the tourist traps and a bunch of Applebee's and Sunglass Huts found in Manhattan, you will know how blue-collar New Yorkers truly live and play.

The Jackson Heights, which is mainly a strip along Roosevelt Ave, is a neighborhood full of Asian and Hispanic eateries, ranging from gritty & delicious food stands to family or intimate restaurants. Many of these places are open until 2 am or later. There are two Chase banks and several others in the neighborhood, along with a post office and drug store. And, of course, there is the Jackson Heights-Roosevelt subway Station.

How To Get There:

Parking is limited - EXTREMELY LIMITED. There are less than 20 spaces. So it is wise to ditch the car, get a MetroCard and take the subway instead. Hotel Q is a ten minute walk away from Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Station. The most traveled subway line is the #7, which starts at Times Square and takes less than 30 minutes to reach Jackson Heights. There's also the E-train, which can be caught at Penn station. Additionally, there are trains: #F, #M & #R. All of these services can be caught in Manahattan.

If you are travelling from LaGaurdia, you can hop bus #Q33. It runs every 10-15 minutes from the early morning to the late evening daily. The bus will take you to Jackson Heights. Travel time is approximately 20 minutes.

If you are staying for 3 days or more in NYC, get a 7-day Metrocard pass from any of the subway station vending machines. It's only $30 and it gives you unlimited riding on all subway trains and buses. If you don't, then you will have to pay $2.25 per ride.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Matthew T
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a week in September 2012.

We had a standard Queen room. It's extremely small - the smallest hotel room we've ever stayed in. We didn't unpack our suitcases because of this, and even then, there was no room for suitcases on the floor without tripping all over them. Our room had a huge TV but it wasn't digital and the picture was spotty at best. WiFi connectivity on the third floor was terrible. The connection kept dropping out. The bathroom is very good, and the shower in particular is excellent. One major downfall was the bed. One night the sheets came untucked overnight, and there were stains on the mattress, which wasn't pleasant.

The hotel staff's attitude was very variable. Some were extremely helpful, and others the opposite. They serve a complimentary breakfast every morning, containing cereal, waffles, toast, coffee, and orange juice. They also have a fitness room and limited laundry facilities (one washer and one drier, and you need your own detergent).

They have car parking but too few spaces for the number of rooms. You may be lucky and get a space, but other times you may find yourself parking on the road.

The subway station is about a twenty-minute walk from the hotel, and you can get the number 7 into the city.

The actual area the hotel's in isn't the nicest. We didn't particularly feel safe walking back from the subway station at night. There are gangs of kids around and shoes hanging from telephone lines.

We probably wouldn't stay there again. If you book the hotel on a budget, what you get for your money isn't terrible, and if you have a short stay in New York it's worth considering. But if we visited New York again, we'd choose a different hotel, even if we had to pay slightly more.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Becca H
SUFFOLK COUNTY NY
Reviewed 2 December 2012

I reserved a suite for the night to get ready for my birthday party at a lounge near by, upon arriving at the hotel I was met by a man in the front desk, as soon as I walked in I noticed his attitude was extremely nasty. I said hello and he barely said a word, he asked if I had a reservation and I said yes, asked for my last name and I gave it to him. I had written on their special request page on-line if they would do anything special since it was my birthday so as soon as he pulled me up in his system he says "we don't do decorations they are not free, I said ok. He then repeated the same thing 4 times to the extent that I said ok I get it. I just need to check-in, I asked if everything was okay because he was giving me an attitude and he lost it. He starts yelling saying that I don't need to stay there and that he was canceling my reservation, my friend who was with me asked why he was getting so out of control and he got up and said get out right now. I asked the man what his problem was and that we were going to leave, but I needed to confirm I wasn't being charged. He stood up and grabbed a bottle and threaten to throw it at us. As we started to exit because we felt very threatened he started to run out from behind the counter, yelling get off my property. I asked for the manager and he said he is the one in charge. I work in a very service oriented environment and am completely appalled that anyone would ever be so disrespectful especially when your paying a whopping $235.oo to stay one night. Someone needs to seriously look in to this. I called today to speak with a manager and he answered the phone and said there was no manager there and that he didn't need to tell me anything. I will not stop until I speak to the top person in charge, I will not stop until this is rectified. Due to this issue he ruined my birthday because I could not find anywhere to stay with all hotels being booked by Hurricane Sandy victims. This was the worst experience I have ever had in my life.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank mp1202
Reviewed 2 December 2012 via mobile

This hotel seems to be family run, which is USUALLY a good thing. However, when the family is all extremely unpleasant, mean, rude and hates people...its not a good thing.
#1 - Upon first walking in I had trouble getting the door open and bringing my suitcase in. The young man a few feet away from me at the front desk didn't budge. He offered absolutely no help. You would think he would at least hold the door open since there were no other customers. After struggling, I got to him and didn't even get a hello. His face was miserable and I felt like he hated me (and all human beings.) While I was checking in with mr. Miserable he took a phone call and was rolling his eyes and being nasty to the customer that he was on the phone with.
#2 - hotel is updated. That's one of the only upside.
#3 - The mattress cover and sheets were stained. Very disgusting brown stains.
#4- called up the frnt desk (spoke to a different man then at first check in), asked for a blanket (bc the one on the bed was paper thin.) Conversation went like this "You already have a blanket." I said "can I have another one?" He said "Call back tomorrow, housekeeping is not here right now." Really, you can't get your guest a blanket? You give your guest an attitude for asking for a blanket?
#5 - sink stopped up...called desk for help...young lady says "oh let me see about that." Never heard back from her. Called the next day and was told "oh the handy man is not here. Call back tommorow." Really? No handyman? No housekeeping.
#6- continental breakfast is disgusting. Its really really bad. Cold fake egg discs, watery coffee, things that should be refrigerated are not, waffle batte tastes like chemicals...and the worst part is the lady who takes care of the breakfast area is another miserable employee. She hates people too. Hellos are ignored by her as well. You are made to feel like a nuissance by every employee.
#7- cleaning staff...very very light cleaning...and they don't come every day. Bathroom left dirty except for wiping of sink. Carpets almost never vacuumed if at all.
#8 parking lot very small but at least they have one.
#9 - told the front desk that I was checking out bc of bad service and he said "ok"...they just do not care at all about customer service.
There's plenty more to say about the mean staff but I can go on forever. Bottom line...hotel Q owners/staff need to learn the meaning of hospitality. They are the most miserable people I've ever met. For their prices, you can find a place that wants your business.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Trueblue2828
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmhurst
Quality Inn Woodside
Quality Inn Woodside
#1 of 3 in Woodside
Wyndham Garden Laguardia South
Home2 Suites by Hilton New York Long Island City/ Manhattan View
Home2 Suites by Hilton New York ...
#1 of 31 in Long Island City
Best Western Plus La Guardia Airport Hotel Queens
Red Roof Inn Queens
Red Roof Inn Queens
#26 of 31 in Long Island City
Woodside Motel
Woodside Motel
#2 of 3 in Woodside

Been to Hotel Q New York? Share your experiences!