“Fish and more”

Bistro 223
Ranked #53 of 110 Restaurants in Elmira
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, International
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Just had lunch at the Bistro and enjoyed it immensely. Max was a great host and even posponed his afternoon fishing trip to cook and wait on us. As an added treat he gave us some great tasting homemade ice cream on the house. Will be returning soon. Chevy and the teacher

1  Thank chevy t

Reviewed 10 August 2012

Delicious - every single meal. Max loves to cook and gives care to each customer as if you were a guest in his home.

Reviewed 8 August 2012

Went to Elmira for a wedding, and was starving from the flight. We found Bistro 223 right on Water St. down from the Holiday Inn and stopped in. Max the cook/waiter/partner was such a delight, he is very modest about his skills as a chef. The food was wonderful, sandwich with roasted turkey (homemade not processed), spicy pumpkin soup, and the BEST homemade ice cream. We had the ginger and the cinnamon. We had a great conversation with Alma and Stan two regulars, we had a great time. Wish we could have went back, but we will be planning another trip soon.

2  Thank Angie R
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Downtown Elmira has suffered greatly since an economic downturn beginning in 1972. Whenever I return home to visit family I try to support those businesses that are there. For the past 30 years there has not been one restaurant that serves healthful fare. That has finally changed! This is located very close to the river so if you choose a table in the back half, you can look out a very large window and see a great view. The food was healthy plus Max (the owner?) was more than willing to cook anything the way we wanted it. He even made me promise that if I did not like what I ordered, I would tell him and he would make me something different.

We all shared the black bean fusion hummus, which he made fresh for us and used no salt (he knew I was trying to reduce sodium since so many restaurants use too much for me.) Believe iit or not, it was fantastic. The pita triangles that were served with it were plentiful and very fresh. My mom and sister ordered the turkey panini with the chili sauce on the side since he had mentioned that it was a spicy sauce. That turned out to be a good idea for them as it was VERY spicy but my hubbie would have loved that sauce on the sandwich. The turkey was cut from a real turkey breast - not sandwich meat. It was served with homemade cole slaw and potato salad. My sister is certain those were made in house and they did not have too much dressing on them. I chose the spinach garbanzo bean curry which was served with rice and green salad (all on the same plate.) The curry was absolutely delicious - spicy but not so much you would sweat - and could easily be mellowed out with the white rice. The green salad was a combination of Greek style (with bell peppers and feta cheese) plus greens and thinly sliced apples. The dressing was great and there was just the right amount.

We could hear him tell patrons as they arrived how long it would be before they would be served so they could decide if they had time to wait. I believe on this day he was doing everything - busing tables, cooking, taking orders. If I did not live in CA, I would definitely be a regular at this restaurant. :-)

2  Thank Vivian_03
Reviewed 19 June 2012

While driving through Elmira on a rainy day, we stopped in at Bistro 223 for lunch. Even though it was just about closing time based on the hours posted on the door, the host made us feel very welcome and not rushed at all. We were very impressed by the friendly service and good food. We all got the soup/sandwich combos. The options were much more innovative than we would have expected to find at a little bistro - curry pumpkin soup, mushroom paninis, etc. I highly recommend this place.

2  Thank lvillegirl