“So nice!”

Ranked #52 of 109 Restaurants in Elmira
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, International
“So nice!”
Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

Great place to have a nice lunch with a nice view, love the decoration and what I order was good and a good size plate!

Florida, New York
“Interesting and worth a visit”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Tried the Bistro 223 tonight. Two vegans and one meat eater and we were excited for a place that had options for all of us. We got there around 5:15 or so and some guy at the bar told us to have seat, the owner would be right back. I think he may have been the only one there at the time (working), and was very friendly and helpful but seemed a little flustered. He took our order and promised some cashews while we waited for our meals - but they never arrived. It felt like the place was maybe a little under staffed. Around 5:30 a waitress arrived and said she was taking over for the owner who was in the kitchen now. The vegan entrée is a spinach chickpea curry served with rice and salad, our plate came with one quarter curry, one quarter rice, one quarter pita type bread, and one quarter salad. We were surprised that the salad had feta cheese on it – since we ordered a vegan entrée – it looked good but with it covered in cheese – we didn’t get to taste it. It made me wonder what was in the rest of the “Vegan” food. The curry, rice and bread where very good and very tasty – nice flavors. My husband enjoyed his roast beef Panini but wasn’t so thrilled with the potato salad that came with his sandwich - he couldn’t eat it. The prices are good all less than $9, they serve beer, mixed drinks and wine reasonably priced also. The space is pleasant and nicely decorated and clean, they even have cloth napkins. We were the only table there and the service wasn’t great to be honest. There were some guys at the bar who were there when we arrived and when we left. It was an interesting experience, complex….like the flavors in the food. They need some staff and to not put cheese on vegan food. We may go back and give it one more try.

• Visited February 2013
Elmira, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Easy on off I-86 Restaruant”
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I stop at least once a week. It is quiet.
Relaxing Chemung River view. Slow passed. Nice cuisine. Easy on off Exit I-86 Water Street EXIT Elmira, NY Street Parking ENTERTAINMENT district.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank SamuelDraper
Manahawkin, New Jersey
“Trip Advisor brought us here. Great experience!”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

The owner/chef/manager is a very interesting man and we were glad to have the opportunity to have a meal in his establishment. It is the sort of encounter that makes traveling fun. We had a little trouble locating the place although it is right on the river in the center of town. We didn't know the east/west address system but after a couple of u-turns we got to the place.

Max is very entertaining and a good cook as well. We had the place practically to ourselves except of one other couple (we came in at 5pm on a weekday) so we got the history, etc. He was surprised to hear that he had all the great reviews and was number one in Elmira! We enjoyed the view of the river that was enabled by a large mirror over the back tables riverside. Clever and silly idea. Unusually crafted furniture, and family paintings (wife of owner) were lovely.

I told him that he needs to get rid of his half dead indoor plants. Very negative first impression - dead plants in window. He agreed and said he really never noticed them before. I would perhaps skipped the place except for all the glowing reviews on this site. Now the food!

I do not like chick peas in any form and they were part of too many dishes for me. The lamb stew plate was good, and I think my husband liked his barbeque pork entree. The wine was very good as well, and although they have a full bar they seem to offer more of a wine bar experience.

Shouldn't have skipped desert - home made ice cream. Actually more of a performance than a dining experience but lots of fun.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank CarlanneNewJersey
Columbus. Ohio
“A great surprise”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

My colleague and I were recently referred to Bistro 223 by someone in Lewisburg, PA. [The staff at the Elmira Holiday Inn had no idea where the restaurant was...but it's easy to find.] What a delightful surprise! It's small, with a combination Mediterranean and Indian dishes that are beautifully presented and flavorful. The place serves hearty glasses of wine and offers up an interesting view of the river

• Visited September 2012