“Much better than expected”

Mark Twain Motor Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Elmira
Reviewed 19 January 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at this motel because it was the cheapest we could find and in a convenient location, but we weren't exactly sure how nice it would be. We both were truly surprised at how nice it was. As soon as we walked in the smell of fresh laundry hit us in the face. The bathroom was spotless. The bed was extremely comfortable. We had cable, a mini fridge and a microwave. One of the staff even knocked on our door and asked us if we needed anything. I really can't think of a single bad thing to say about the place.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 November 2009

Came to Elmira for Thanksgiving. Man, where do i begin? Completely dirty, broken heat, lightbulbs blown out in most lights, remote didn't work, hair all over the bathroom, no soap, tub clogged. There was just dirt everywhere too. That's just the gist of it as far as the room goes. No need to keep going with that. Now to everything else going on around me; 3 bums on one side of me gettin' wasted and arguing incessantly with each other all night. A couple of doors down on the other side I'm pretty sure some prostitutes were going on with their business as I saw a different shady lookin guy go into the room about every hour. Nasty owners too. Just an overall pathetic place.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johnnynitetrain
Reviewed 5 November 2009

OMG my husband and son called to say all the rooms in Elmira and Ithaca were booked due to a parents' weekend at Cornell. They said they were going to stay here and I had a heart attack when I saw the reviews. Turns out they loved it! They were scared when they saw the sign, "Voted most improved"....but it really was. Nothing smelled bad, everything was clean, there was a microwave and fridge in the room, two nice beds, they thought it was great. No hair dryer but they had theirs. Get this, only $45.00 a night. Unbelievable. They were on a college tour, visiting 3 or 4 colleges for my son to consider.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Maui2soon
Reviewed 23 October 2009

I came in new york state for my grand daughter's brithday . I used to live there in new york when i was young never heard nothing bad. about mark twains hotal.
How ever the beds smelled of body odor. the carpet looked real bad like they just thew it in there the bath room looked like it has never ben cleaned. i was at the sink shaving and the legs fell off the sink just fell could not beleave it. and when i checked in the man told me 45.00 dollars and with out telling me he charged me 50.49 and i could not beleave that i said whats up with the extra charge he said the room he is giving me has two beds . i said i don't need two beds 1 will do me fine he then said the rooms are not ready with 1 bed i said i will come back he said there not going to be ready so i had to take what i already payed for because he has sign up no refunds. i would of lelft that room if iwas able to get my money back beleave me . I will never stay there again i plain on coming to ny in dec. i will be staying at holiday inn its worth the extra money then that mark twain room.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 November 2008

I was in town to visit family, and my brother and I booked a room at the MTMI. Upon arrival we were exhausted and went straight to bed on the dingy, cold sheets, as the heat in the room barely worked. When we awoke we found a moldy ice bucket bag, and a used condom in the corner of the room. When I went to complain to the OWNER of the Motor Inn, I was told that I could not have my money back because I had slept in the room, and basically verbally berated because I told him and his wife (who cleans the rooms) that it was disgusting, and that I would NEVER stay another night in their motel. I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau. I would NEVER recommend this motel to ANYONE.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank KDunner
Reviewed 11 August 2008

Our friend made this reservation for us for the race weekend and I was so terrified once I got on here and read some of the reviews! However, once we walked into the rooms, flipped on the light and I was very pleasantly suprised! Don't get me wrong... this is no four star hotel by any means.. but the rooms were clean, everything was old (the bathroom actually reminded me of my grandma's house-kind of quaint) but in working order. If you are set out for grandeur, this is not the hotel for you, but if you need a cheap and clean place to stay ....this is it!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank racefan2360
Reviewed 29 May 2008

Room smelled, bathrooms were outdated and dirty would not ever stay again even if it was free.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank pacmania

Been to Mark Twain Motor Inn? Share your experiences!