“family visit”

Woodlawn Cemetery of Elmira
Ranked #2 of 21 things to do in Elmira
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We recently stopped here before leaving town because my wife's father is now buried here as well as her grandfather. It was our first time to see her father's burial place in the military wall. We were not near the Mark Twain area, this was the back side that all seemed to be war veterans. It was neat, clean and peaceful. May visit the other section when I have more time, this was the first time I realized the area was famous for Mark Twain after 7 yrs of visiting my wife's family nearby. I was surprised to locate restrooms with outdoor access near the small office by the gate.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

What a beautiful cemetery to walk around in. Great late 1800-early 1900 grave markers. I came all the way from California to see Sam Clemen's grave site, after reading both volumes of his autobiography. Hal Roach is here too.

1  Thank orv m
Reviewed 22 July 2014

A review in reality.Through living for ten years in Elmira (1968 to 78) it came to my attention that the local population really did not give much thought to this world famous author and global traveler.I was informed by several of the 'born and raised residents' that Samual Clements was considered by most as the "town drunk"for his habit of walking downtown each day for his liquid libation.This was not looked upon favorably during this (his) era there.How dreadful.Actually if it was not for his loving Elmira native wife perhaps Old Mark would have picked a more friendly and respectful atmosphere to rest in peace. Oh well at least they rest in the same plot err even though it is her family's (LANGDON) plot.RIP Sam. I think you were great.A must visit for all who enjoy wonderful authors from days gone by.

2  Thank graybarn1
Reviewed 3 July 2014

A beautiful resting place with gorgeous trees and grounds. Yes, Mark Twin is buried here and also his wife, Olivia Langdon. Ernie Davis is buried here, who won the Heisman Trophy while playing for Syracuse University. Sadly, Ernie Davis developed leukemia. There are many old, interesting gravestones here, and the property is very well maintained.

1  Thank climatechg
Reviewed 30 June 2014

very nice cemetery. the national cemetery is very well kept up. we go there regularly to clean their grandfathers and great uncles graves in woodlawn and at the national cemetery. the kids like to walk around and see all the old gravestones..